Felicia, Sorceress of Katara
is a comedic furry
fantasy series spanning a number of print comics, short novels, and webcomics by Chuck Mieville. They center around the titular sorceress who uses both white and black magic in defiance of both the Magi council and the forces of evil.
The currently updating webcomic can be found here
- The Apprentice: Felicia has two in the webcomic
- Aristocrats Are Evil: Felicia's recurring enemy Count cla di Howler, also her father was a cultist of the Black Flame. Much averted by Lord Frisky, though considered unusual.
- Bag of Holding: In one novellette Felicia keeps a small library worth of books, a bathtub, and the water in her purse.
- Baleful Polymorph: She turned a number of Dogonian assassins into lemon trees for burning down her garden.
- Black and White Magic: Associated with The Murk and Aln, respectively. Felicia uses both, which is why she is distrusted by other magi.
- Blob Monster: An old Ra Kunan wizard made one out of fruit jello and a lesser demon.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: While fighting a mime's invisible box, Felicia comes across the fourth wall and addresses the readers.
- The Chessmaster: Felicia has her moments, in the webcomic she manipulates the downfall of a slave-trading sect of the Black Flame
- Classical Tongue: Old Kataran, Old Ra Kunan, etc. Often used for magic as the old tomes were written when they were commonly spoken.
- Clown Car: The Cult of the Rubber Nose manages to do a medieval version, with a horse costume.
- Crystal Ball: Felicia's preferred means of scrying and divination.
- Cult: The Order of the Black Flame, the Cult of the Rubber Nose.
- Cunning Like a Fox
- Curse: The titular "Tailcutter's Curse".
- Enemy Mime: Mime assassins.
- Impoverished Patrician: Lord Frisky, his steward is constantly hocking his (and his guests') possessions in order to pay for his extravagant parties.
- Interspecies Romance: Felicia has a number of liasons with cats, one with a wolf and even one with a mouse (see Size Shifting).
- Knowledge Broker: News is the preferred form of currency in Rodentia.
- Lethal Chef: Benja Bruin, his attempt at soup could be cut with a knife.
- Ludicrous Gibs: Victims of the Tailcutter's Curse resemble the smears left by a flyswatter, except bigger,
- Mage Tower: Felicia, naturally, has one. It's also Bigger on the Inside.
- Magical Society: The Order of Light, aka the Unending Circle, aka the Mage's Council. Who don't particularly like Felicia.
- Medieval Stasis: For thousands of years, though there was a 2000 year ice age after Aln left. And Felicia occasionally makes reference to how things like indoor plumbing and automobiles haven't been invented yet.
- Mouse World: Rodentia, minus the "secret" bit.
- Our Demons Are Different
- Our Dragons Are Different
- Our Ghosts Are Different
- Pass the Popcorn: While a procession of ancient ghosts pass by.
- Physical God: The Murk manifested as a mortal being in order to wreck havoc with the world. When it became clear that the mortals couldn't (or at least wouldn't) defeat him Aln manifested as well, as a mouse. They killed each other and started the 2,000-year ice age.
- Silver Has Mystic Powers: A silver box can contain cursed items, Felicia often wields a silver blade.
- Single Line of Descent: Subverted in The Tailcutter's Curse, Felicia is dismissive of claims of the Wagajop family curse because the records indicate that line died out years ago. Turns out they only bothered to record the male lineage.
- Size Shifting: Felicia uses a spell to shrink to mouse size sometimes.
- Slave Race: Dogonians were enslaved as punishment for letting the Murk loose. When they built Dogonia they launched a crusade to end the practice.
- Sorcerer's Apprentice Plot: Ginger from The Dreaded Book of Un stole a bunch of artifacts from her master looking to fast-track her way to power.
- The first arc of the webcomic is titled "The Sorceress'Apprentice" but notably is not an example.
- Teens Are Monsters: Ginger.
- Thieves' Guild: Practically runs Ra Kuna. Stealing is even legal in their nation.
- Tome of Eldritch Lore: The Dreaded Book of Un.
- Truth Serums: "How do you make a mime talk? With sodium pentathol."
- Vain Sorceress: Felicia, naturally. It's implied that she's a few decades Older Than She Looks
- Wizards Live Longer: Felicia gloats to Count cla di Howler on his deathbed that she will personally outlive his family line.