"For the heroes, even the fedora, jacket, and khakis were common attire".For some Action Heroes, a fedora is just the kind of hat to wear while in a Fight Scene, Chase Scene, or just doing anything badass. In some of the adventure Film Serials, the fedora would be worn by the hero, usually as a means of hiding his face when played by a Stunt Double. When Indiana Jones came along, it solidified the hat as a sign of the adventurer (at least to modern audiences). It can also become an Iconic Item. Another function the fedora serves is that it gives the hero a distinctive silhouette. Just be careful not to confuse a trilby (a hat with a similar arc, but a short, curled brim around the perimeter and made from sewn fabric rather than shaped felt) for a fedora. A fedora is also one of the most common hats used in a Coat, Hat, Mask outfit. A Sub-Trope of Nice Hat. A Sister Trope to Adventurer Outfit, Scarf of Asskicking.
Action Heroes Wearing This Hat
open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- Firo of Baccano!. One of his most well-known scenes is where he singlehandedly beats up a group of thugs without dropping the hat even once.
- Sera of Detective Conan has one, although she only wears it in her first few appearances. She's definitely badass...one of the reasons is that she beat Ran at her own game (asskicking) with Jeet Kune Do.
- The Phantom Stranger, although he doesn't really get into traditional fights.
- Firo from Baccano! wears a classy green fedora, and is an expert in unarmed combat and knife fighting.
- In Doctor Who, the Fourth Doctor would often wear a fedora. He wasn't particularly aggressive in terms of combat, but could fight evil in many ways.
- In The Green Hornet, the titular character wears one as part of his Coat, Hat, Mask as he fought crime.
- Wannabe Hardboiled Detective Shotaro Hidari, half of Kamen Rider Double, wears fedoras. He inherited them from his mentor, actual Hardboiled Detective Sokichi Narumi aka Kamen Rider Skull, and he was so badass he wore a white fedora even as Skull. Sokichi's damaged hat becomes a Tragic Keepsake for Shotaro until the penultimate episode, where he finally pulls it off the wall and wears it when he confronts the Big Bad Jun Kazu and defeats him without transforming into Double.
- Gennojo Hyuga from the Castle of Shikigami Bullet Hell series of games is an investigator who flies around firing arcing fireballs and transforming into a werewolf when enraged, due to having the blood of an ancient wolfgod in his veins. He wears a black suit and fedora-style hat.
- Hazama/Terumi Yuuki is one of the brawlers from BlazBlue.
- In Onimusha 2, one of Jubei's alternate costumes is an anachronistic gangster outfit with fedora and shades as he cuts up demons as usual. This outfit only appears in a brief minigame, The Man in Black.
- La-Mulana's Lemeza Kosugi rocks a green fedora as he explores dangerous caverns and ruins. He has to hold it on while falling or riding some fast vehicles.
- Baek Doo San is one of the brawlers from the Tekken series. Although his default costume is a Taekwondo uniform, he has an alternate costume which features him in a suit complete with a fedora.
- Although Linkara of Atop the Fourth Wall didn't start out as an action hero, the plotlines eventually made him one.
- Inverted with Demo Reel's Donnie DuPre. When he's with the fedora, the only thing he seems to know how to do well is flirt to get what he wants. When he loses it, he becomes a Damsel out of Distress and gives the family holding him hostage a blistering "The Reason You Suck" Speech.
- Also inverted on The Paul Powers Show. Paul's never seen without his trademark fedora, but instead of kicking ass, he gets his own ass kicked repeatedly by Batman.
- Chip of Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, wears one with a bomber jacket, as he and his friends go off to thwart evil.