I won't marry Jo to Laurie to please anyone.
A lot of fans are rooting for this couple to get together
. A lot
. Way more than they are for any conceivable alternative. And it is not happening
Unrelated discussions degenerate into Ship-to-Ship Combat
involving them. Fan-Art
of them embracing passionately is everywhere. Threads dedicated to gushing over their sweet, fluffy, legendary love
and scorching hatred of anyone in the way
dominate forums. Bits of trivia
are cited and Word of God
is creatively interpreted to show that they are
going to happen. The Official Couple
they're breaking up gets only three votes in fan support polls, possibly including one vote cast by a very alarmed author. They are a phenomenon shrouded in infamy.
And still yet, in spite of it all, they are not happening
. Certainly not now, and probably not ever.
A subreaction of Better Than Canon
. Most often the result of a Romantic False Lead Gone Horribly Right
due to Emotional Torque
critical mass, but sometimes happens by design
or because fandoms just make no sense
. Often, but not always, involves disregarding a competing Official Couple
with extreme prejudice. Can eventually lead to an Author's Saving Throw
or a Writer Revolt
The highest aspiration of a Fan-Preferred Couple is to beat the odds and evolve into an Official Couple
. This is about the only way the same couple can end up being both
of these things.
Read before adding an example
When left alone, this page very quickly decays into its natural state of equilibrium: Everyone listing huge Walls of Text
about their favorite ships
. We don't want that. Here are some guidelines for what examples you put on this page and how.
- No listing pairings that are less popular than rival pairings. Yes, this means it's not a Fan-Preferred Couple if the Official Couple is more fan-preferred than it.
- No listing two different pairings with the same character in them, unless you have a very good explanation of how they can both be the most popular at the same time.
- Give us specifics. Saying "some fans think it should happen" gives us zero information. The Other Wiki has a lot to say about that.
- Keep it short and to the point. Lapsing into speculation of what in canon set this reaction off is all right, but don't give us a plot summary.
open/close all folders
- In The Vampire Diaries story "To Build A Home", reviewers preferred Stephanie with Klaus rather than her canon love interest Jeremy. The fact that they dated in the past (despite her not remembering it) factors in.
- Similarly, in The Jill Gilbert Saga, reviewers preferred Jill with Stefan over Tyler, whom she has long been in love with. It only recently became canon.
- Despite being a killer, burned dream-demon, many readers of Tainted Dreams would rather see Helyse being with Freddy Krueger than with Jonathan. AnaShadowWolf (the author) went so far as make a poll during the fic to know with whom the readers wanted to see Helyse with. Freddy won. By a large margin.
- In Suzumiya Haruhi No Seitenkan, the gender-swapped version of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, will pair the canon's Kyon with his Distaff Counterpart, Kyonko. While the ship passes under the radar of fans of the regular series, it stands out that at least half the fan fics of the genderswap features Kyonko with Kyon.
- A Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt and Naruto crossover called Angels and Ninjas has many reviewers wanting a Naruto/Stocking pairing rather than Naruto/Panty (the first premade pairing) and Sasuke/Stocking (the second premade pairing) due to the fact that Naruto and Stocking obviously have better chemistry and spend a considerable amount of time together while not arguing and share a bed.
- Happens In-Universe in the South of Nowhere story Romance on the Set. Spencer was originally cast as the main character Mandy's love interest, but fans of the show preferred Mandy with the Perky Goth Rachel instead.
- Weiss Reacts: Fans wanted Ruby and Weiss to get together in Volume 1, knowing that the author was also a fan of the couple, which they end up doing, upgrading it to the Official Couple.
- In Volume 2, Jaune and Winter are favoured by fans to get together in place of the aforementioned Weiss, Pyrrha or Minako.