Every source of media that has a main cast of characters has one character amongst the main cast who stands out amongst the fans, thus making that character the most popular character in the franchise.
This is not to be confused with Ensemble Dark Horse
, which focuses on background characters or guest characters. This article is strictly for characters within the main cast.
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Of all of Ash's Pokčmon, Pikachu has always been the fan favorite since Day 1.
- Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur and Charizard all have their respective fan bases as well.
- Digimon: Agumon and Gabumon tend to be the fan favorites.
- Dragon Ball Z: Vegeta has become popular due to his exploitable personality, and for starting various Internet memes.
- Peanuts: Snoopy is extremely popular with the kids.
- X-Men: Wolverine was so popular that he got his own spin-off franchise.
- Star Wars: Darth Vader and Yoda, depending on which side you prefer to take.
- The Lion King: Timon and Pumbaa are hands down the show-stealers. They've gotten so many spin-offs you wouldn't believe!
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Of the seven dwarfs, Grumpy and Dopey tend to get the most attention from fans. They both have tons of merchandise, even moreso than the other dwarfs.
- Olaf has a huge fan base.
- Elsa has also become fairly popular with girls, and her song definitely helps!
- Finding Nemo: Dory.
Live Action TV
- Super Smash Bros.: Captain Falcon has become one of the most quotable video game characters, period, thanks to this franchise!
- Sonic the Hedgehog:
- While a lot of characters have fairly big fan bases, the one with the biggest fan base since the beginning has always been Sonic himself.
- Sonic's dark counterpart, Shadow, also has a huge fan base, as well as Sonic's admirer, Amy Rose.
- From Knuckles Chaotix, Espio the Chameleon and Mighty the Armadillo were huge fan favorites. Though a lot of fans were pissed when they heard Mighty wasn't returning with the other Chaotix when Sonic Heroes was announced, but since then, Vector the Crocodile became very popular too.
- Homestar Runner: Strong Bad and The Cheat have the biggest fan bases of the 11 primary characters.
- Care Bears: Grumpy Bear is a favorite to both fans and haters of the franchise.
- PAW Patrol:
- Marshall and Chase are both mega fan favorites, mainly due to their breeds. (This could be one of the reasons why they've gone on the most missions.)
- Another fan favorite is Skye, mainly for being so adorable; of course, being the only female pup on the team helps, too.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: Each one of the six main ponies has their own respective fan base, but Rarity and Fluttershy tend to have the most fans.
- 101 Dalmatians: The Series: Of the main pups, Cadpig is the fan favorite, hands down!
- Lilo & Stitch: The Series: Of the main characters, Jumba has proved to be the fan favorite next to Stitch.
- Littlest Pet Shop (2012): Of the seven pets, Zoe Trent is the most popular on so many levels!
- Animaniacs: Pinky and the Brain were so popular that they got their own spin-off series.
- DuckTales: Launchpad McQuack, hands down!
- Ed, Edd n Eddy:
- Ed is the true show-stealer.
- Of the other cul-de-sac kids, Rolf appears to be the fan favorite.
- ˇMucha Lucha!: The Flea.
- The Powerpuff Girls: Bubbles has proven to be the fan favorite since she's the cutest and the funniest of the three girls. This was even proved in 2001, when she won the Powerpuff Popularity Contest that Cartoon Network held.
- Codename: Kids Next Door: Numbuh Four
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the four turtles, Raphael is the most popular.
- Cartoon Planet: Brak was always the show-stealer. He later got his own spin-off series, which sadly got some negative feedback.
- Family Guy: Stewie's randomness and evil nature make him stand out.
- The Simpsons:
- Homer, without question.
- In the early days of the series, Bart was popular with the kids.
- South Park:
- Cartman is always the show-stealer.
- Kenny was also a fan favorite in the early days of the series, but his popularity soon declined when he started appearing less and less in the series, he was no longer getting killed off in every single episode, and what he looked like under his hood was no longer a mystery.
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Patrick, Gary and Squidward.
- Sonic Sat AM: Princess Sally has an impressive cult following.
- Teen Titans: Raven and Beast Boy
- Invader ZIM: The show-stealer is, of course, Gir!