open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- The Mark of Zorro:
Don Diego: I needed that scratch to awaken me.
- Instead of finding horror in this, Bruce Lee gathers berserk strength by touching the wound licking his own blood off his fingers.
- Played for laughs in Kung Pow! Enter the Fist. When The Chosen One and Wimp Lo's fight is stopped, Wimp Lo declares "he is bleeding, making him the victor."
- Most Errol Flynn swashbucklers had moments like this.
- In The Matrix Reloaded, after Neo stops a slew bullets, the Mooks whip out swords and start fighting Neo. After Neo performs a Bare-Handed Blade Block, a drop of blood goes from his hand to the floor, causing the Merovengian to say "You see? He's just a man!" Cue Neo trashing all of Merovengian's Mooks within minutes.
- In Rocky IV, after a long fight, Rocky lands a good punch, causing Draco to bleed for the first time, showing Draco is not invincible.
- In The Great Race, the great sword fight had a moment like this.
Live Action TV
- In Firefly in the episode Out Of Gas it opens with a deserted ship and Mal staggering through the hold and falling to the ground. We only find out he's wounded when we see blood dripping through the deck underneath him.
- This is the name of a gimmick match type in professional wrestling, in which the first person to bleed is declared the loser. This ruling makes them potentially less brutal than basic matches can become, since they usually continue whether someone bleeds or not. In fact, a common practice that is a subversion of the usual is for the face to succeed in drawing first blood only for the heel to hide it from the referee to avoid losing.
- TNA has a variation called "Sadistic Madness", where pin falls, submissions and such can only end the match after the recipient bleeds.
- Kids in the united states of America have a game called "bloody knuckles", where two of them punch each other in the fist, the loser being the first one to bleed from their knuckles.
- In some fencing matches, the first person to draw blood is declared victor and the match ends.
- The epee was created in response to laws that duels be to first blood instead of to the death, removing the sharp tip. Instead they had three prongs to gouge out a chunk of flesh. They did still want it to be obvious when someone was struck.
- Other matches require that the blood be drawn from the torso to count as victory.
- Unlike predecessors such as boxing, kick boxing and even professional wrestling, mixed martial arts bouts tend to be lost by anyone unfortunate enough to be split open. Some leagues cite heightened awareness of blood borne diseases.
- In the big knife fight of Resident Evil 4, Krauser's first blow gives Leon a shallow cut on his cheek, which stays for the rest of the game.
- Emma of The Last Remnant inflicts this to The Conqueror during her last stand in Athlum.
- In ICO, Ico loses one of his horns at the start of his final battle with the Queen, resulting in a gout of red blood spurting from his head. He loses the other at the conclusion of the fight.
- In Batman Beyond episode "Bloodsport", after the hunter Stalker captures Terry's brother to lure him, Terry immediately knocks him down to the floor, causing him to bleed, which Stalker replies by saying Terry has drawn first blood.