Staring contest! You lose!
A Stock Superpower
(and also a classic Super Robot
weapon) that allows characters to shoot blasts out of their eyes. Blasts of what, you ask? Sometimes the generic, all-encompassing term of "energy
." Sometimes "heat," in which case it is (logically) known as Heat Vision. Sometimes "lasers," in which case it is known (again, with excessive logic) as Laser Vision. The point is, they hurt. These are the real Glowing Eyes of Doom
This is the stock power of the Mecha Mook
and those with powers beyond mortal ken. Also, a stock joke about "laser eye surgery" fad.
(Seldom is it explained
how a beam which can burn or injure just about anything else is contained when trapped behind the character's eyelids
, but let's not think about that....)
Compare X-Ray Vision
, Deadly Gaze
, Magical Eye
, Breath Weapon
, and Hand Blast
. Often The Glasses Come Off
for this. A favorite attack for the Oculothorax
open/close all folders
- At one point, the silver golem Karn in Magic: The Gathering vaporizes a Phyrexian who has latched onto his arm with,"A blinding light from his eyes".
- One of the powers in [[Tabletop Game/Munchkin Super Munchkin]]. Users risk accidentally destroying their own headgear with it.
- Ok Go song Invincible have this in lyrics:
When they finally come to destroy the Earth
They'll have to deal with you first
And now, my money says they won't know about
The thousand Fahrenheit hot metal lights behind your eyes
Ninja warrior, master of disguise
He could melt your brain with his laser beam eyes
- Weird Al also offers "Slime Creatures from Outer Space:"
They'll zap you with their death ray eyes/and blow you up real good
- This was one of Paul Stanley's powers in their TV movie, KISS Meets The Phantom Of The Park. Afterwards, the band spent $250,000 trying to come up with a way for Paul to appear to shoot laser beams from his eye during their concerts.
- In the music video for "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons has the teddy bear, after defeating the champion vaporize two of the boss's Mooks with its eyes.
- In BIONICLE, Heat Vision is one of the 42 Makuta powers. Other users include Rahkshi of Heat Vision and Tahu.
- Most Skakdi, including the Piraka, have some variant of this as well.
- Burnt Face Man from the flash animation series by the same name, attempts to use "his laser eyes" to catch a falling baby. He does not have said power. Baby go splat.
- X-Ray and Vav has this as X-Ray's main weapon, a pair of glasses that also give him X-Ray Vision. However, X-Ray is such a horrible shot, he'll end up destroying the city before he hits his target.