open/close all folders
Anime & Manga
- Both Wowser and Ratso Catso have bellybuttons.
- Subverted in one strip where the eponymous cat notices a black spot on his belly in the mirror and remarks "I didn't know I had a belly button". Said spot turns out to be a bug, which promptly flies away.
- Though played straight with some animal characters who appeared in some strips of this comic, especially bigger ones.
- Another strip has Garfield eat one of Jon's plants in a fit of jealousy. When Jon complains, Garfield says "If you have anything to say to your precious plant, say it into my bellybutton!"
- Pig from Pearls Before Swine.
- The title character of Pogo.
- Nearly all the characters in Krazy Kat.
- Verne from Over the Hedge has one.
Films — Animation
- Rango the chameleon has a bellybutton.
- Jiminy Cricket is shown to have a bellybutton in Pinocchio.
- In Cinderella, in the scene when Gus is first introduced, Cinderella tries to put a shirt on Gus, but then the shirt rises and pops up. For a SPLIT second, you could spot a bellybutton on Gus while in the air. A little mistaken in the scene where Gus is trapped in the tea cup that Lady Tremaine was about to pour tea into. As Gus sucks in his belly to avoid the boiling tea drop coming down, it seems as though he grew a belly buttton, while it was really just lines indicating his belly is being pulled in. As his belly rises in relief, it still seems to have the shape of a belly button until it fully rises, where the mark disappears.
- Stupid the weasel from Who Framed Roger Rabbit has a bellybutton.
- CBBC and Going Live mascot Gordon T. Gopher had one, a plastic button on the puppet's stomach that was visible when his T-shirt rode up. It was frequently shown as a "real" bellybutton in illustrations of the character.
- Most anthropomorphic art tends to be drawn with this.
- Crash Bandicoot has a bellybutton in his early games, but it was gone starting with Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex.
- This trope is mentioned and subverted in Chrono Trigger. You can try to run from the prison by faking sickness. If Frog is the one faking sickness, he says his bellybutton hurts. After beating guards, he calls them fools for not knowing that frogs don't have bellybuttons.
- Star Fox: Krystal has one, visible in Star Fox Adventures.
- The Donkey Kong series seems inconsistent as to whether or not Kongs have them. In some games, they don't have them even when some reptilian characters do.
- Rouge the Bat from the Sonic the Hedgehog series, although only when she's wearing alternate costumes.
- Mz. Ruby from Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus has a bellybutton despite being an alligator, also Carmelita Fox has a Belly Button since she has A Bare Midriff, and Murray also has a belly button as well.
- Monobear in Dangan Ronpa and Monomi in the sequel, Super Dangan Ronpa 2
- In Freefall, not only does Florence (an anthropomorphized red wolf) have a visible bellybutton, there's even an indentation showing where it's located even when she's dressed in her normal jumpsuit.
- The Packrat.
- The Ren & Stimpy Show gives the title duo these in certain shots.
- Newton from Ned's Newt. He even lampshaded it once: "If newts are born from eggs, why do I have a belly-button?" (beat) "Is a poorly-drawn 'x' an inny or an outy?"
- Most of the animals in Eek! The Cat, including the title character.
- Oggy and the Cockroaches.
- Itchy and Scratchy from The Simpsons have bellybuttons.
- Rodney J. Squirrel from Squirrel Boy has a bellybutton.
- Almost Naked Animals.
- Patrick Star from Spongebob Squarepants has a bellybutton, as shown with the above picture.
- However, when fighting SpongeBob in The Fry Cook Games, his belly button takes the form of a pink line.
- The title character of the Robbie the Reindeer specials.
- Ratty from Mr. Bogus has one, as does Bogus himself.
- Brandy from Brandy & Mr. Whiskers (with the help of her midriff shirt), as well as one-time characters Tiffany and Sandy.
- All main characters of Yin Yang Yo! have bellybuttons. However, Yin and Yang's can only be seen in a few episodes whenever their shirts lift up.
- It is also interesting that Master Yo has an innie but Yin and Yang have outies.