Exilis VeritasExilis Veritas
is the blog of Genevieve Sullivan, a university student from New Zealand who discovers the mythos when first an American tourist she befriends goes missing and then her sort-of-just-a-friend/co-worker
Chester takes a day off work citing stress due to loss of sleep caused by a certain vlog series
. It Gets Worse. Then it gets better. Then it gets worse some more.
The story is told through three blogs (with a timeline-slash-summary page to make reading the posts in the correct order and cutting out filler.) written by Vivi, Chester and later, Stella and Harry.
- Alien Geometries: The Looped Apartment
- Arc Words: "Try to believe"/"Trying to believe" and "Everything is as it should be."
- Batter Up: Vivi loves her cricket bat.
- Battle Couple: Vivi and Chester
- Bittersweet Ending: in the original blog, Genevieve and Chester are mind-wiped, preventing them from becoming involved in the mythos again.
- Broken Bird: Stella. Arguably, Kristen and H (a male example).
- Crowning Moment of Heartwarming: Many, most triumphantly the bloggers reaction to Vivi becoming trapped in Alien Geometries
- Dark World: The Ruins.
- Deadpan Snarker: Stella has shades of this.
- Decoy Protagonist: Chester and Vivi are mind-wiped and the story continues on the tumblr blog Stella, Searching, with Stella as the new protagonist and Vivi and Chester fading into supporting roles. Later, Stella dies, and H takes her place.
- Everything's Cuter with Kittens: Viviís cat Cassy dislikes proxies, uses her and Chester as living climbing frames, and rides on her shoulder.
- Heel-Face Turn: Pretty much everyone. Stella, especially, is notable, as she becomes the new protagonist after Vivi and Chesterís mindwipe
- Heroic BSOD: Vivi has them fairly regularly, usually over things that have happened to other bloggers. Chess also has one of these when Vivi is kidnapped and when he finds out about his missing brother.
- Genre Savvy:
- Gentle Giant: Chester, by his own admission, prefers gardening to gunslinging.
- Heroes Want Redheads
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: There is a 20cm height difference between Chester and Vivi.
- Meaningful Name: Averted with Chester/Chess, who is completely awful at chess.
- Mood Whiplash: Sometimes several times in the same post.
- Nice Guy: Chester.
- Plucky Girl: Vivi and Chester are both consistently optimistic.
- Room Full of Crazy: Chester and Viviís bathroom is turned into one of these while they are away.
- Tear Jerker: Every occurence of the phrase "Everything is as it should be.
- The Power of Friendship: A consistently valuable weapon in the Protagonist's hands.
- Shout-Out: To the SCP Foundation, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Nobody Dies, Harry Potter, and numerous other works.
- The Woobie: H and Stella.
- Token Minority: Averted! Out of the four main characters, Vivi is the only caucasian. Stella is stated to be Asian, and Chester and H are both half-maori.