open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- THE iDOLM@STER anime plays with this, when the Futami twins are trying to discover who stole Iori's pudding from the fridge. Complete with summation in the end.
- Another one from the same episode, earlier they are shooting a drama episode where this happens to the three sisters that are the played by the three girls from the Ryuugu Komachi.
- There's a brief scene in Vinyl and Octavia in 'Dial D for Detectives' where Vinyl and Octavia look around the scene of Switch Blade's murder for clues.
- In "The Three Apples", the caliph Harun al-Rashid, orders the The Good Chancellor, Grand Vizier Jafar ibn Yahya, who gets a Historical Hero Upgrade in this tale, to play the role of a Detective and sends him on a scavenger hunt to solve the murder mystery and bring the culprit to justice.
- The Daughter of Time: Carradine does all the legwork, seeing as how Grant has broken his.
- Murder at Colefax Manor: A large part of the book.
Live Action TV
- The Forgotten: A prominent portion of the show revolves around the volunteers of the Forgotten Network assembling clues as to who the victim is, usually punctuated by beyond the grave narration from the John or Jane Doe.
- Archipelago Exodus: The first two acts, or at least until Renard tails Channery's car.
- Deadly Premonition: As part of the profiling game mechanic.
- Sigma Harmonics: After going back to a certain time and a certain place, Sigma can use his sound-related powers to uncover 'moments of sound' - clues as to what happened in that place during that time.
- Almost every case in the Ace Attorney series of games has you scrambling for evidence just after the crime was committed, alternating with days in court.
- In-universe, this is justified by the rather taxing court system, which demands that every single claim the defense lays out MUST be backed up by evidence. So of course, Phoenix needs to cart around every potential piece of evidence he can find before the trial, or else his accusations get quickly shot down by the judge/prosecution/witness, on the grounds that there's no evidence to back it up.
- The second phase of each chapter in Danganronpa, which takes place whenever someone gets murdered, consists of gathering evidence for the upcoming school trial.
- Every Scooby-Doo episode involves the gang looking for clues in the mystery they are currently solving.