"And for comic relief he should go right through some sort of village, with a fiesta or something happening, with llamas. He knocks a llama over."Here's a llama. There's a llama. And another little llama. Fuzzy llama. Funny llama. Llama, llama, duck. If Everything's Better with Monkeys and Everything's Better with Penguins, the same is true for llamas. Maybe it's the extra silent "l", or the whole spitting thing, or the resemblence to the word lamer. Whatever the case, llamas are funny. Other llama-like camelids like alpacas, guanacos, and vicuñas are fair game too. (Actual camels aren't; when they show up in fiction they're almost always Horsing Around but worse.)
open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- Llama is a regular patron at Shirokuma Cafe. He works at the local zoo alongside many of the cafe's animal patrons. However, this is then subverted when the zoo visitors ignore him in favor of the giraffes in the next exhibit over.
- It seems that alpacas are getting up there with sheep in terms of fluffiness, and they have begun appearing in recent anime. Hanayo of Love Live! has a certain kind of fascination with alpaca, and is seen taking care of a couple of said animal in the school. Kotori too, but she's a Friend to All Living Things. In fact - everyone (except Eli).
- In Animal Land, llamas are abundant and usually provide a form of Plucky Comic Relief.
- Angela, a very friendly, easy-going and rather dim pink alpaca from Jewelpet.
- In Witch Craft Works, a trio of luckless Tower Witches go around with a llama, even complaining when a restaurant refuses to seat it. It also tends to get tied up when they're captured.
- Llamas at home, from The Far Side: "Llook out, Llarry! It's the llandllord!" (So llamas are Welsh?)
- In the Tintin book Prisoners of the Sun, Captain Haddock is repeatedly spit in the face by llamas. At the end, he spits one back just to get even.
- In Captain Carrot And The Final Ark, the villain of the story is a Funny Animal version of Ra's Al Ghul, called Rash Al Paca.
- The titles for Monty Python and the Holy Grail mention llamas as a Credits Gag, said to be done at the last minute and at great expanse. Every single card after that point will mention llamas at some point, including as names for people.
- Napoleon Dynamite featured a scene in which Napoleon fed his llama.
- In Evan Almighty, a llama delivers a well-deserved facial to John Goodman's character.
- Barn of the Blood Llama, an awful 1997 movie in which (quoting IMDB) "Inbred hillbillies trap various passersby at their World o' Wool llama farm where an animal coroner is conducting genetic experiments which turn the animals into sex-starved toxic beasts".
- The 2009 girl's film An American Girl: Chrissa Stands Strong, in which Chrissa's grandmother gave her a baby llama named Starburst, which naturally received its own toy.
- The 1978 film Brutes and Savages, a bizarre and racist "documentary" featuring, among other things, a "ritualistic, native llama sacrifice" and an ending that involves llamas mating.
- The 1967 Doctor Dolittle film had the Pushmepullyou. Llama at both ends. (In the book illustrations it had horns, so it was more like "gazelle at both ends".)
- There's a passing line and blink-and-you'll miss it sighting of '65 elephants' balancing on '3 llamas' on a ball at the end of the Prince Ali number in Aladdin
- The Emperor's New Groove obviously, with the main character Kuzco transformed into a llama for a majority of the film.
- A spelling error in the Sherlock Holmes story The Empty House:
"I traveled for two years in Tibet, therefore, and amused myself by visiting Lhassa [sic], and spending some days with the head Llama [sic]."
- This poem by Ogden Nash:
The one 'l' lamais a Tibetan priest.The two 'l' llamais a furry beast.And I'm betting you a silk pajama,There isn't any three 'l' lama.(It has been brought to my attention that there is a type of fire called a three-alarmer. Poppycock.)
- In Animorphs #12, Marco acquires a llama morph. The kids are infiltrating a Regis and Kelly-style talk show, and one of the guests is an animal tamer; Marco morphs the llama so he doesn't have to hide anywhere, and gleefully talks about how cute he is and how he's going to be on TV, but he never uses his llama morph again.
- When Rachel (as a grizzly bear) ends up fighting with a crocodile on the set, Marco desperately joins in to help. He doesn't do anything, but it does distract the crocodile.
- Anna Dewdney has written some books for preschool children about a young llama, originally known as "Baby Llama" in the actual text of the original book, but later known as simply "Llama Llama." The books were originally about Llama Llama and his mama, but as the audience of the series grew, Llama was eventually aged up to a schoolchild. Titles include Llama Llama Mad at Mama, Llama Llama Red Pajama, Llama Llama Misses Mama, Llama Llama Home with Mama, Llama Holiday Drama, Llama Llama Time to Share and Llama Llama Gram and Grandpa. There are also a number of board book titles shorter stories and simpler language, as well as a one-off book featuring one of Llama's friends, Nelly Gnu. Netflix has announced an animated Llama Llama series for 2017.
- In the mystery novel A Small Target, a group of hikers ventures deep into the Rockies with a pack train of llamas. When a deranged young woman shoots one of the group and then flees into the woods, the party's cook lures her out with food, and the soothing presence of a fluffy white llama at her campsite helps calm the anxious girl's nerves.
- I Don't Want To Kiss a Llama points out the negatives to llamas.
Live Action TV
- On Veronica Mars, Logan said his mother wanted alpacas.
- On Aliens In America, the dad bred alpacas for money.
- "Would you like to pet the llama?" is a common riff in Mystery Science Theater 3000. At one point, Crow becomes a llama.
- Howie Mandel was on an episode of The Tonight Show and did a "llama call" as part of his schtick with Jay. Several minutes later, an animal trainer led a llama out from backstage (as if it was answering Howie's call). Howie looked concerned and said, "That's not the llama I hired for this bit."
- In the first series of The Mighty Boosh, Vince and Howard reminisce about a llama rampage in the zoo and Howard's ability to "calm a llama down." Cue crimp.
- The classic "Me And My Llama" sketch from Sesame Street is how a whole generation of North American kids ever learned what a llama is. A little girl takes her llama to the dentist, set to music.
- The Amazing Race has had Detours involving llamas on two separate seasons. There was also a Roadblock with camels, but they just made the racers cry (okay, one racer cry), and a Speed Bump that involved filling out a loan to rent a llama.
- Monty Python's Flying Circus has the Llama Sketch. "¡Cuidado! ¡Hay llamas!"
- Horrible Histories had the very earwormy Call A Llama Farmer! segment, about the important role of a llama farmer in the Incan times.
- In the third season of The Joe Schmo Show, the "spirit animal" assigned to the season's Joe Schmo, Chase Rogan, was a llama.
- The Llama Song, of course. This is really the only example we need.
- The Schoolhouse Rock song "The Four-Legged Zoo" featured practically the whole llama family:
There were elk and bison, a gnu or two,Giraffes and elephants, quite a few,A llama, alpaca, vicuna too,Zebras, ibexes, and one big kudu.
- The video for Stillness is the Move, by Dirty Projectors. It is argued that the llama is the only thing saving the video from being completely horrible.
- British musicians Patrick & Eugene produce many delightful earwormy songs including one called "Llama"
- "Ride My Llama" by Neil Young.
- It's alpacas, but ARPK and Leave in Summer, Yet You're in my Fluffoughts (written by Baker) also count, ARPK in particular.
- TV's Kyle has a song called "There's a Llama Inside My Fridge".
- "Llama" by Phish.
- Many Maxis games, including SimCity and The Sims, are stuffed full of llama references. Sometimes this bordered on worship, as with the llama shrines in SimCity.
- Not to mention the "Llama Dome" in SimCity 2000 (it had a statistic labeled "Llamas Wed").
- SimCity 4 contains the "dollyllama" code to turn your advisors into llamas.
- Let's not forget the llama-themed Tourist Trap. Somehow businesses regard it as some sort of capitalist icon.
- Will Wright's official title is, in fact, "Llama consultant".
- One Spore mission has you go in search of the mythical Golden Llama.
- Kingdom of Loathing has the Llama Lama, a Buddhist llama who will take you on a Vision Quest.
- A mention of Llamasoft is truly mandatory, being the games company of ungulate-obsessed programming legend Jeff Minter, and games like Llamatron and Metagalactic Llamas Battle At The Edge Of Time ("Possibly the most stupidly-named game of all time," says the Llamasoft website.)
- Vega Strike starting ship, a light shuttle with decent armament capabilities, is called "Llama". It's a part of Theme Naming: other cargo shuttles include Ox and Mule.
- One of the playable characters in the 1994 animal fighting game Brutal: Paws of Fury was an evil llama named Dali Llama.
- Even Interactive Fiction is better with llamas; presenting: Llama Adventure!
- Skull Tag, a port for Doom, has a Llama "award" for killing a player who is in chat mode.
- You can adopt lost llamas on Farmville now.
- Farmville-like Island Paradise had the option to adopt alpacas (a similar animal) from the start.
- One of the two main stage elements in stage 3 of Contra: Rebirth are lots of robotic llamas.
- The casual Android game Balloon Popper sets up the background story like this: You are a llama. A llama that hates balloons. Shoot those pesky bright cheerful, colorful balloons out of the sky before you run out of loogie.
- Tropico has the llama as its national animal! You can also farm them for wool to sell to China. Llama-related jokes also pop up repeatedly, such as the American ambassador saying they remind him of his mother, who also spit a lot.
- One of text boxes that pot up after you've researched a technology has Penultimo say you can get away with doing anything by putting "and we killed a llama" at the end of it.
- Ultima Online lets you choose between horses and llamas for a low-level mount or pack animal. The game's programmers also included several llama-related Easter eggs. For example, when an ancient wyrm polymorphs itself to look like a human NPC, its profession is listed as "mystic llama herder".
- Soon as the first alpha of the fan expansion for Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings, Forgotten Empires, was available for free in the internet, the public began to demand that llamas be included in the next patch. The expansion included the Incas as a new civilization and the programmers referenced first their nature as sole ingame Native American civilization with pack animals by giving them a free turkey, but that wasn't enough. Llama fans finally got their wish when the programmers released a version of FE for the new AOK HD in collaboration with Microsoft Studios themselves, which includes llamas as herdable units and gives the Incas one free llama at the start of each game.
- One of the Beastclan races in Flight Rising is the Longneck race, who are basically sentient llamas that walk on two feet. There are four "classes" of Longneck (Skirmisher, Interloper, Magi, and Mender) that can be fought in the Coliseum and obtained as familiars.
- Civilization: Beyond Earth lists the llama as one of the five mythical creatures of Old Earth, along with dragons, chimera, griffins, and unicorns.
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf introduces Reese and Cyrus, who are Pink and Blue Happily Married Alpacas (close relatives of llamas). They run Re-tail, where they buy, sell and refurbish items.
- 50 Llamas Day by Happy Harry.
- Llamas with Hats, and its many sequels, chronicling the mishaps of a... problematic llama and his more sane friend/partner.
- ASDF Movie had this moment: "Ha ha! They said I could never teach a llama to drive!"
- Jimmy Neutron. Carl's love for llamas almost borders on obsession.
- Which made Cosmo very happy in one of The Fairly Oddparents crossovers.
"Finally. a llama-related wish!"
- Which made Cosmo very happy in one of The Fairly Oddparents crossovers.
- An episode of The Wild Thornberrys has normally hyperactive Wild Child Donnie ends up being fixated by a bunch of llama the titular family's van passes by in the Andes.
- In one South Park episode, the boys start a fake Peruvian flute band called "The Llama Brothers."
- In the Donald Duck short "Lake Titicaca" from the 1942 Saludos Amigos, Donald has trouble with a stubborn llama.
- An episode of Animaniacs had the Warner Bros. pestering the great monk Wally Llama. His mantra is "llama, llama, llama".
- In the Camp Lazlo episode "Loogie Llama," Lazlo tries to attract an animal that the Bean Scouts can ride. He winds up with a llama that he names "Spitty".
- Mabel from Gravity Falls owns a llama-themed sweater made of llama hair. In one episode, the disembodied waxen head of Larry King tells her that llamas are nature's greatest warriors. Said sweater later ends up going to Pacifica Northwest, who represents it as an Arc Symbol.
- Inverted in the Shaun the Sheep special "The Farmer's Llamas." The titular camelids are vicious bullies who terrorize the farm after they're accidentally bought at an auction.
- Among US presidential candidate Obama's many fundraising efforts was rural Butler County, Ohio's "Kiss a Llama for Obama!" Quote: "And yes, the llama did kiss a few preferred people."
- Don't forget the Elgin Llamas of Swindon
- Various farms, where, in addition to providing wool, they apparently act somewhat like guard dogs. Interestingly, the camel itself is not included in this trope. This might be because Real Life camels are scary as hell, and not particularly fluffy.
- Sheep ranchers sometimes keep a llama or two in the herd, because llamas will attack and run off predators, including coyotes.
- Even DeviantArt's picked up on this trope, and has made Llama Badges, able to be given away for free and (once one receives enough) featuring llamas such as Albino Llama, Ninja Llama, Fancy Llama, Wizard Llama, GOLD Llama, and the mythical Rainbow Llama.
- dA's 10th anniversary was celebrated with real llamas brought into the party.
- This statue, found in Plaza San Martin in Lima, Peru. A statue of a woman with a flame on her head was ordered; the Spanish word for "flame" is "llama." Turns out the order was not specific enough for the artist.
- Llamas used as pack animals really are better, at least for the environment, than most of the alternatives. Their softer feet don't chew up paths and contribute to erosion the way a donkey's or mule's hooves can.
- On a trail in Rocky Mountain National Park there is a sign that reads, "No horses beyond this point. Llamas permitted."
- The media player software WinAmp also has llamas as their mascot. Their demo audio file proclaims: "It really whips the llama's ass."
- Expect Memetic Mutation to plug the word "llama" into any place it remotely fits:
- Rama Llama Ding Dong
- There is a garage band called "Dali's Llama"
- There was a series of hilarious commercials for an Argentinian telecom about "la llama que llama" ("the llama that makes phone calls"), with llama puppets that made very punny prank calls.
- Densa, a special interest group of Mensa dedicated to celebrating stupidity, has a llama as one of its two mascots, and an informational webpage on llamas.
- There's a whole lot of smilies you can find on the internet involving llamas, if that counts.
- The Chinese Grass Mud Horse is, well, llama precisely due to its look.
- It's pronounced roughly the same as "F**k your mom" in Chinese. When you see people sending photos of a llama to you, you aren't welcome.
- The programming textbook Learning Perl by O'Reilly Media has a llama on its cover. (The more advanced and more well known Programming Perl book has a camel on it (this is why camels are frequently associated with the Perl Programming Language), so it's likely they wanted to put a camelid on the beginners' book in addition to having one on the more advanced book.)
- There's a natural food and grocery store/restaurant in Cochabamba, Bolivia, known as La Llama Comelona ("the Big Eater llama").
- And there's a Bolivian bookstore/travel store franchise named The Spitting Llama.
- A Chilean mobile internet ad has a rather dorky guy dancing with several people to the tune of Dirty Dancing's "(I've had) The Time of my Life"... and at the end, a llama appears and kinda looks at the viewers.
- During the Italy 1990 World Cup, Dutch player Frank Rijkaard was nicknamed "the Llama". In an inversion, it was for a bizarre rather than "better" reason: spitting twice on German player Rudi Völler's Funny Afro.
- Why Is Vogue's Website Covered in Nothing But Llama Articles?!
- On February 2015, two llamas were on the loose in Arizona. Twitter went mad, following their run while also making the obligatory SimCity, Monty Python, The Emperor's New Groove, Carl Wheezer, and Lorenzo Lamas jokes.
- Llamas are a favorite animal of Dan Howell, which is why he has a llama hat, and campaigned to buy a llama hedge in The Sims.