Based on a short story by Raymond Carver, titled Why Don't You Dance, Everything Must Go
is a 2010 American drama staring Will Ferrell
. He is Playing Against Type
as Nick Halsey, an alcoholic man who gets kicked out of his house by his wife, and he struggles to live on his lawn until the police have to force him out. While he lives on his lawn, he becomes acquainted with some of his neighbors.
- The Alcoholic: Nick is a very realistic and self-destructive portrayal.
- Blackmail: Nick spies two of his neighbors engaged in BDSM sex acts, and uses it to blackmail them into letting his use their electricity and pool. Also notable for the fact the black mail isn't explicitly stated, but implied through exchanged glances and looks.
- Garage Sale: Nick is advised to hold one by Garcia to exploit a loophole that allows him to live on his lawn a few more days provided he's selling stuff.
- Intergenerational Friendship: Nick befriends a neighborhood kid named Kenny who he teaches to play baseball and how to make sales.
- Nosy Neighbor: Nick has one. She's the one who alerts the police to Nick living out on his lawn.
- The Sponsor: Detective Frank Garcia is this to Nick for his alcoholism. Interesting as Frank has been able to help Nick out of trouble, but is also willing to arrest him too if necessary.