Shinji: [horrified] What?!
Kaji: Let me put it this way: some day, you'll learn to appreciate melons.
This Gag Dub contains examples of:
- The Abridged Series: Well, sort of. The term was not yet invented when it was made, so it is kind of a predecessor.
- The Ahnold: Asuka.
- Also Sprach Zarathustra: The first appearance of the SEELE monoliths (in case the reference wasn't already clear).
- Audience Participation Song: Showings of this at anime conventions usually feature the audience clapping along to Gendou's theme and singing along to a video that sets AC/DC's "Big Balls" to Pokémon.
- Big "NO!": Kaji lets one rip after he uses a crowbar to "free himself" from Misato.
- It's actually more of a scream of incomprehensible pain.
- Blatant Lies: Gendo insists that all rumors of him being a pimp are "wild allegations" and he won't respond to them.
- Cool, but InefficientAoba: The power of song has no effect on the target!Gendo: I, uh, know. I just love that song.
- Distracted by the Sexy: Di$ney fails to stop Gendo because they are all busy ogling Ritsuko.
- Go to Your Room: Gendo tries this on Shinji when he starts asking questions about his plan. It doesn't work.
- Larynx Dissonance: Asuka, who has the voice of Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- Left the Background Music On: As Gendo enters the Di$ney meeting accompanied by his theme musicBilly Dee Williams (green member): "Man, am I gettin' sick of his theme song!"
- Leitmotif: It's Gendo!
- Shinji, I Am Your Father
- Make-Out Point: According to Misato, a hill overlooking Tokyo-3 is one.
- Memetic Badass: In-Universe. Gendo is portrayed as a Kavorka Man pimp with his own Theme Song.
- The Omniscient Council of Vagueness: Di$ney.
- Overly Long Gag: A still frame of Asuka's reaction to Touji's "manhood" set to the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's "Messiah."
- Pass the Popcorn: "Ooh, cat fight."
- Potty Failure: Shinji pees in the entry plug.
- Shout-Out: Plenty of em...
- The Power of Rock: NERV attempts to bring down the attacking angel by performing "Bohemian Rhapsody." It doesn't work.
- Temporal Paradox: Gendo creates one (and causes Second Impact) by playing the song "1999" in the year 2000. And Third Impact by playing it again in 2014.
- Third-Person Person: Keel Lorenz/Bob Dole.Bob Dole doesn't have to take this kinda crap! Bob Dole is a cyborg!
- Unwitting Pawn: Kaji to Gendo.Kaji: I found the original CD of Prince's Greatest Hits, so I gave Gendo the disc he needed so I could discover the truth behind his plans.
Misato: But you gave him the disc!
Kaji: Yeah. It was the only way I could get close enough to the truth!
Misato: But you gave him the disc.
Kaji: Aw, crap!
- Volleying Insults
- Wingding Eyes: Kaji gets spiral-eyed at one point in the Redux version.
- You Can't Handle The Parody: Gendo starts reciting the (in)famous lines after Shinji directly asks him what the "nookie" is.