Escape from Nevara was an Original Character Tournament
held on deviantART
.It started around December of 2008 and ended roughly a year later.
The plot started when a shadowy being
, The Apparation
, kidnapped several dozens of people across multiple dimensions and trapped them in Nevara
, a world based on emotions and memories. The people are then forced to participate in a tournament where the ultimate winner will be granted a wish, as well as their freedom.
The ultimate canon of the story followed the winner (Corpse-Face
)'s entries, and can be found here
. However, Escape From Nevara was more of a collaboration between many talented artists and writers.
Contestants that made it to Round 4
Escape from Nevara contain examples of the following tropes:
- Alien Sky: In the finale, the moon turned into a GIANT CLOCK.
- Animesque: Though the official canon's artstyle is less so than the others.
- Creator Backlash: Sort of. There was some drama going on with the people hosting the tournament, but most of the actual contestants still look upon it fondly.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Most promenient in the official plot, since the protagonists are a zombie and a vampire, the gang's members include a goth and a black eyed alien (and latter two Jiang Shi), and the Apparition's sister is the Big Good, while the Apparition whisps act independently from either and join the protagonists.
- Eldritch Abomination: Apparition and the other natural inhabittants of Nevara, which appear as humanoid shadow beings aside from the alien looking Eskaed. Apparition himself is described as a being born from mankind's negative emotions, though whereas this applies to the others or not is unknown.
- Escape from the Crazy Place: The entire premise of the tournament.
- Fan Dumb: Unfortunately, because a fairly popular and talented contestant Zeurel made flash entries, many of his fans consider his work to be canon when he only made it to Round 2. Because of this they put his entries at top priority and completely disregard the work put together from everyone else that made EFN a success.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: as the intro comic explained, the tournament started as a controlled experiment by human scientists...until The Apparation took over.
- Living Shadow: Apparition and his sister.
- Mind Rape: The Apparation (and the world of Nevara itself) LOVES doing this.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Adelmar and his family are undead, "classical" european vampires, though appearently capable of reproducing. They have a Healing Factor.
- Our Zombies Are Different: used BRILLIANTLY here
- Tournament Arc: No duh.
- The Undead: A good percentage of the contestants who made it to the later tiers were this, in one way or another.