open/close all folders
- Batman: Arkham Asylum
- You fight Poison Ivy while she's encased in a protective glass pod, but occasionally she'll open it just to laugh at you. You can hit her with a batarang when she does this.
- During the final battle with Titan-infused Joker on the roof, he'll sometimes climb up one of the towers to taunt one of the police helicopters flying overhead. When he does this, you have to use the batclaw to pull him down.
- During the fight against Hercules in God of War III, he will use an attack which stuns Kratos, then turn his back on him and start bragging towards Hera, who's watching the fight from a nearby balcony. Kratos recovers from the stun, takes the opportunity to sneak attack Hercules and steals his Nemean Cestus.
- Luigi's Mansion: During the first boss fight against Chauncey the baby, after he completes his attack pattern, he'll just giggle at you and wave his rattle around. That's when you vacuum up one of his bouncy balls, launch it at his face, stun him and begin the capture process.
- Cyber Jenny and Ultra Mechabun in Ittle Dew 2 have a posturing step in their AI cycle.
Beat 'Em Ups
- Donkey Kong Country
- Donkey Kong Country 3:
- Bleak the snowman will sometimes stop launching snowballs from his hat cannon to laugh at you, providing a brief window to throw a snowball at the flashing weakspot on his chest.
- Donkey Kong 64:
- Army-Dillo can only be attacked when he comes out of his shell just to laugh at you. That's your cue to hit him with the exploding barrel that he was courteous enough to leave in the middle of the stage for you.
- The final battle against King K. Rool has the five Kongs taking turns fighting him in a boxing ring. When it's Donkey Kong's turn, you have to jump into a barrel launcher, wait for K. Rool to start waving to the crowd, and nail him.
- Donkey Kong Country 3:
- In Shovel Knight, the first fight against the Black Knight has him occasionally pausing to laugh at you.
- In The Spongebob Movie Game, if you get harmed, all enemies in the room start laughing at you, leaving their defenses down and allowing an easy counter.
- In Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break, the boss of the second level is Arnold the Pit Bull. You must attack him when he is making poses. If you try to attack him while he is running, he will shape you into a basketball and bounce you around the court.
- In Kingdom Hearts, during your sparring match with Hercules, he'll sometimes taunt you by saying, "Hey, give up yet?" while posing and flexing, leaving himself open to attack.
- Several of the boxers from the Wii version of Punch-Out!! will engage in enemy posturing, essentially giving you a free hit. You can also fill up your star meter if you hit them right when they're blinking yellow.
- Disco Kid is a particularly shameless example, in that he strikes a pose at you right at the beginning of the first round. And then, when you rematch him in the Title Defense mode, he starts the first round the exact same way.
- Donkey Kong, the True Final Boss, is a less straightforward example. During the fight, he spends a lot of time making faces at you, dancing, scratching himself, etc. You can try to attack him while he's taunting, but you have to get the timing just right, or else he'll dodge and counter-punch.
Wide Open Sandbox
- Dead Rising:
- Subverted with Brock Mason, the final boss from the first game. He starts the fight by laughing at you, but you're not actually supposed to attack him when he does; if you try, he'll preempt your attack with a shoulder block. Instead, you have to wait for him to come at you, sidestep him, and then attack him.
- In Dead Rising 2, if Randy Tugman manages to hit you, sometimes he'll celebrate by doing a victory dance. You can counterattack him while he's doing this.
- In Dead Rising 3, the bodybuilding psychopath Jherii will sometimes stop to admire herself in the mirror, giving you plenty of time to get some licks in.