Truth in Television
, when a character or a team are celebrating the victory of winning the Big Game
of the season, whether it's baseball, football, soccer or any other game, there are tons of ways to celebrate your victory. You can either pick up the coach in a celebratory matter, or as a more popular alternate, dump a whole cooler of liquid over the coach's head, often water or Gatorade
, as well over the winners themselves.
of Sports Story Tropes
and Victory and Defeat
. Contrast Bucket Booby-Trap
, which is mostly with prank objetives than just celebrating.
Film - Animated
- Wrongfully Accused: At the end of Ryan's violin performance at the concert, two men dump Gatorade on him and then he manages to get dry by the time the camera returns to him.
- Van Wilder: Freshman Year: After the football team finally win a game, they grab the Gatorade coolers, pass the coach and dump them on the scantily clad cheerleaders.
- Subverted in Snow Dogs a pair of teenagers try to dump Gatorade on the Jerk Ass celebrity dogsledder after he wins the race, and he gets knocked out by a block of blue ice.
- In Chicken Little, Chicken Little gets soaked in sports drink after winning the baseball game. This gets lampshaded as being part and parcel with "the glory" by the sportscaster.
- One episode of Seinfeld had this in retrospect. In Improv comedy club, a friend of Jerry's was on the softball team. They won a game and Kramer convinced him to pour a cooler full of Gatorade over the coach's head. The coach ended up dying of exposure and the friend developed a drug problem out of guilt.
- An episode of Even Stevens has Louis help the school's baseball team's star pitcher, Twitty, improve his game. When Twitty strikes out the last hitter of an inning, Louis dumps a bucket of Gatorade on the coach, who angrily points out it's only the top of the sixth.
- Go On "Go for the Gold Watch": While Ryan is celebrating that his show is the #1 rated radio show in LA, Terrell Owens pulls out a Gatorade cooler and dumps it on him.
- In The King of Fighters '98, one of Yashiro Nanakase's winposes is picking a bottle of water and get dumped with it as he yelling when it happens.
- This was a Running Gag in the Peanuts special You're In The Super Bowl, Charlie Brown, where after Snoopy's football team, the Birds, are triumphant in beating the other teams, the teammates dump a cooler of Chirpade over his head, except for the third and final game, where they do this to Lucy as well.
- The Simpsons
- "MoneyBART": After Lisa leads Bart's baseball team to victory using statistical analysis like the film, Moneyball, some of the players pour Gatorade over her laptop computer in celebration with obvious results.
- "Moms I'd Like to Forget": When the fourth grade class think they have won a game of dodgeball, Nelson takes the opportunity to dump the drinks cooler on Krabappel.
Krabappel: Hey! I'm not the coach! There is no coach!
Nelson: I know... I just wanted to see if you were wearing a bra.
(Krabappel puts a hand to her chest and smiles at Nelson)
- Mojo Jojo gets Gatorade thrown on him in The Powerpuff Girls special Dance Pantsed after his softball team wins a game. He is then sent off to jail.
- Pioneered in American football by Lawrence Taylor, who took to dumping the leftover Gatorade cooler on coach Bill Parcells during the 1986 season including their Super Bowl championship.
- A Cooler Drenching is the reward of the triumphant coach after the NRL Grand Final.
- This happens a lot in Formula 1 racing events where the winner got splashed by booze. As Trope Codifier of racing sports, other racing competitions as NASCAR use the same kind of celebration for first places. The tradition in motor racing began accidentally in 1966, when Jo Siffert was presented with a magnum of champagne after winning the Le Mans 24 Hours, and the bottle erupted as he opened it.