The man in question.
Doug Jones (born May 24, 1960) is an American actor best known for his roles in science fiction, fantasy, and horror as non-human characters that usually require hours worth of makeup being applied to his person. He has performed in such films and television series as Buffy the Vampire Slayer
, Hellboy II
, Pan's Labyrinth
, and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
He is a big supporter of, and involved in, many independent films and shorts.
He's much beloved by fans for his sweet, funny demeanor and giving of hugs to anyone who will take them.
Productions Doug has been a part of: Film
Television Web Series
- Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer as the Silver Surfer.
- Hellboy, Hellboy II, Hellboy Animated: Sword of Storms, Hellboy Animated: Blood and Iron as Abe Sapien and in Hellboy II, the Angel of Death.
- The Butterfly Circus (short), as Otto
- The Lady in the Water, as one of the Tartutic
- Pan's Labyrinth as the Faun and the Pale Man.
- "My Name is Jerry" as the titular character.
- "Research" as Denny.
- "Dragon Age: Redemption" as Saarebas.
- "The Guild" as Gerald.
This Actor contains examples of:
- Creepy Long Fingers: Well, they are when he's playing a villain and every gesture exudes menace; in real life they are very graceful, and watching every gesture he makes with them is like watching a sort of dance.
- Cuddle Bug: He's more than willing to give hugs to anyone who will take one, and fans are known to say that they are heavenly.
- Doing It for the Art: His acting in independent films. If he likes the idea, he's got the free time, and he's had a role recently that pays the bills, he's more than delighted to act in independent films.
- Faux Fluency: Subverted. Instead of learning the archaic form of Spanish phonetically, he actually learned it for his role as the Faun in Pan's Labyrinth so he knew the appropriate places to pause, etc., though the voice heard in the finished film is done by a native speaker.
- Happily Married
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Often plays villains or monsters, but is the sweetest man you could possibly meet.
- Nice Guy: Exactly What It Says on the Tin
- Noodle People: Quite tall and extremely thin, which he says makes him every prosthetic makers dream because they can pretty much do whatever they like with the design.
- One of Us: Has been a comic book fan since he was a kid, loves Steampunk, and is a huge fan/supporter of Steam Powered Giraffe.
- Promoted Fanboy: Has been a fan of the Silver Surfer since he was a kid.
- Serkis Folk: As the Silver Surfer.
- The Silent Bob: Has a background in miming and often plays characters who don't (or can't) say a word, and expresses reams of dialogue simply by body language.