(the most commercially successful American board game of all time), this has become a Stock Phrase
for anything that must happen immediately
with no waiting, no intermissions, no detours, stops or breaks until it is completed.
In normal Monopoly play, the starting corner square is marked "Go" and instructs the player to collect $200 each time they pass over it. The "Go to Jail" card (as pictured) makes it very clear that any player who draws this card (or lands on the "Go to Jail" space) must move their token directly
to the "Jail" square, and may not
pass over "Go" en route or collect their salary.
See also the "Get out of Jail Free" Card
- Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls:
Ace: Alrighty then! [smacks man in the face which knocks him unconscious, drapes him over his shoulders and begins to sing and dance exotically] [shakes man] Do not pass go! Do not collect $200!
- Added bonus, the guy he did this to did kinda look like the Monopoly guy.
- Free Willy 3: The Rescue:
Randolph: The penalty for "borrowing" a boat that doesn't belong to you. It's called piracy. Do not pass Go. Do not collect 200 dollars.
- Homicide: The Movie (Made-for-TV Movie of Homicide Life On The Street):
Det. Frank Pembleton: Good. "Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass Go."
- Meet the Deedles:
Mo: Do not pass go! Do not collect 2 shiny ranger badges!
- Short Circuit 2:
- The Core:
Dr. Josh Keyes: Blindfolded. Do not pass go. Go directly to PhD.
- In Swordfish, Stanley says this to Ginger when she tries to persuade him to come work for Gabriel.
Stanley: You're wasting your time. If I so much as touch a computer I go straight back to Leavenworth. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars.
- Recited word for word in Der Wixxer, when Scotland Yard turns up to arrest a perp during a game of Monopoly.
- The Westing Game has a message left like this by Westing (who, by the way, is dead) when the person in charge of opening the envelopes with his messages inside is late in opening the next envelope. It essentially tells the players where to go with the addition of, "Do not collect $200."
- NetHack displays the message "Do not pass go. Do not collect 200 zorkmids." if you die on your first turn.
- In the translation for Lunar: The Silver Star, the attendant at the teleporter will mention that after you pass the Cave of Trials, the warp will now take you directly to Vane. "You'll not pass Go. You'll not collect 200S."
- Israeli singer Eyal Golan is currently accused of having used his status as a celebrity to sleep (consensually) with a lot of teenage girls. The police called the file ‘Tabletop Games’. Famous Israeli memester Amir Schiby made this in response.note
- In the Valentine's Day special episode of Muppet Babies, Scooter has his computer generate a Valentine's Day poem, but it's not what he was expecting:
Roses are red
Pickles are blue
Have a nice banana
You live at the zoo.
Do not pass Go, do not collect $200 (over an image of a banana behind jail bars)
- Top Cat used a variation of this phrase in one episode of Yogi's Treasure Hunt in summoning the treasure hunters to the assembly room.
- In an episode of Total Drama Island, Chris describes a challenge where the last person to cross the finish line is instantly eliminated.
Chris: Do not pass Go, do not collect a marshmallow.