Mr. Incredible: The building's getting weaker by the second! It's gonna come down on top of us!Oh, Crap! response, the Genre Savvy Only Sane Man, Straight Man, Commander Contrarian, The Drag-Along or The Lancer points out how he never wanted to be there in the first place. Frequently said in the form of "I wanted to [do something safer]," often followed by, "... but no, you had to go and [do something else]!" Compare I Don't Think That's Such a Good Idea, "Join the Army," They Said. Not to be confused with Refusal of the Call.
open/close all folders
- During the Club of Heroes reunion in Batman comics, when it becomes evident that the world's greatest detectives are trapped on an island with a murder to solve, the Musketeer is quick to note that he wanted to play five-a-side rugby.
- In the first issue of Demon Knights, all Xanadu wants is a nice quiet drink. She and her husband are even prepared to share a table with Vandal Savage if it keeps things peaceful. But then a whole horde of dragons show up...
Film — Animation
- The former trope namer is Pixar's The Incredibles. Mr. Incredible and Frozone lie to their wives that they're going bowling, when in reality they're doing secret hero work. They end up in a tight spot and start arguing, prompting Frozone to shout "I wanted to go bowling!"
- The Rescuers: As Orville takes off with Bernard and Bianca in tow, Bernard comments, "Sure wish we'd taken the train!" He repeats in the sequel as they're riding Wilbur, "Miss Bianca, from now on, can't we just take the train?" note
Film — Live Action
- In Clerks, Dante's day is spent in the purgatory of serving a succession of customers while bemoaning the fact that he is "not even supposed to be here today."
- In Juno, Bleaker says he wanted to watch The Blair Witch Project on TV, but Juno wanted to make out instead, and One Thing Led to Another.
- In the film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Butch (Paul Newman) says to Sundance (Robert Redford), "Kid, the next time I say, 'Let's go someplace like Bolivia,' let's go someplace like Bolivia." Bolivia doesn't work out too well, either
- John McClane in Die Hard is huddled in an air vent, thinking about how he's going to try to beat a whole gang of bad guys and why he's even in the building: "Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs..."
- Independence Day: One character says while kicking an unconscious alien, "I could've been at a barbeque!"
- A recurring line in The Hobbit was that Bilbo would have preferred to have stayed at Bag End.
- This is played differently on occasion in Calvin and Hobbes by Calvin's dad. "See, if we had gotten a dog like I wanted..."
- In an episode of VeggieTales, the sled the characters are riding crashes:
Larry: Bob! Bob, are you okay?
Bob: I wanted to play Mousetrap — you roll your dice, you move your mice. Nobody gets hurt.
Chuckie: * sigh* All I wanted was a nice quiet trip to the museum — no running away from grown-ups, no getting lost, no making trouble... just a nice, quiet trip. But, no, you guys always have to think of something scary.
Tommy: Chuckie, are you through?
Chuckie: Um, yeah, that's about it.
Tommy: Then LET'S GO!
Lou: We should have gone bowling!
- Grandpa Lou, when the parents take the babies to the movies to see The Dummy Bears in: The Land without Smiles, responds with this almost verbatim.
- Arnold's Infamous Catch Phrase on The Magic School Bus is "I KNEW I should've stayed home today!"
- In one episode, he was prepared.
- In an episode of South Park, Craig does something along these lines when he gets trapped in a part of Peru where things grow really really big.
- In one episode of Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, even though they were given the opportunity to go on vacation, the team still went on a dangerous mission. X-R, the only one who wanted to take up the furlough, continuously stated throughout the episode, "I wanted to go to Mahambis Six!"
- Sokka laments in the first episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender, "I'm just a guy... with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and magic..."
- From Cartoon Network's Scooby-Doo Project parody.
Shaggy: I should be at home watching scary movies, not living in one! And eating some pizza.