From left: Mouri (Saturn), Houjou (Mars), Tomoko, Takeda (Jupiter), Saionji (Mercury)
"Cyber Bit, stand by......"Dennou Keisatsu Cybercop
(lit. Electro-Brain Police Cybercop
) is a Toku
series produced by Toho
in 1988, which chronicles the missions of the Zero-Section Armed Constable (ZAC), a special police unit assigned to assist the standard police force in a crime-infested Tokyo in 1999
. Battling the criminal organization DeathTrap, a group of elite ZAC officers wears high-tech armors called Bit Suits, which confer them superhuman capabilities
. They are soon joined by Shin'ya Takeda, a stranger from the future who, strangely enough, has his own Bit Suit, and learn that their actions in the present can help reshape for better the apocalyptic future from which Takeda came.
The rest of the ZAC crew:
- Captain Hisagi Oda: The Mentor
- Lieutenant Shimazu Mizue: Mission Control
- Officer Tomoko Uesugi: The Chick of the Five-Man Band. Was supposed to have her own Bit Suit, the Venus Unit, but due to lack of financial resources, it was never built.
The DeathTrap organization
- Baron Kageyama: The real Big Bad and Man Behind the Man to his subordinates, each of which leads an organization which is a branch of DeathTrap. Note, all of them are Mad Scientists.
- Professor Einstein: The Dragon to Kageyama. Leads the Ominous Gang, is an expert in Physics and, later, Cybernetics.
- Madam Darwin: The Dark Chick. A literal Cat Girl who leads the Harkoss Gang, made up of humanoid beasts of her creation.
- Dr. Arthur Ploid: Physically, he's The Brute. Makes machanical monsters, and specializes in Mind Screw.
- Führer: The supercomputer who leads DeathTrap. It, too, was brought from the future so it could rule the world in the past. Built by Kageyama, who fuses with him at the end.
- The Ace: Takeda, until Lucifer comes around.
- Applied Phlebotinum: If Jupiter's rage grows to a boiling point, he can power up his suit and summon his most powerful weapon, the Cyber Thunder Arm, from a portal that appears from nowhere (possibly from his original timeline).
- Briefcase Blaster: Almost all the weapons used by the Cybercops, except their personal standard firearms.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: The Bit Suits, of course, not surprising as this series was initially intended to be a Super Sentai-like series. See What Could Have Been below.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: Mika Chiba (Tomoko) sings the ending theme.
- Everything Is Better With Spinning: "Cyber Boming", Jupiter's finishing move using the Cyber Thunder Arm.
- Five-Man Band: There are two Big Guys on the team.note
- Four Temperament Ensemble:
- Takeda: Sanguine
- Houjou: Choleric
- Mouri: Swings between phlegmatic and supine
- Saionji: Melancholic
- Heel-Face Turn: Lucifer started out as an enemy of the Cybercops, especially Takeda, as they belong to the same timeline and he believed him to be the traitor to the forces resisting the Führer. Turns out Kageyama was The Mole in the resistance, who killed his and Jupiter's partners and threw them all into the past.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: C'mon. DeathTrap. Led by a certain Führer. How can you not run away from these?
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Lucifer felt this way towards Jupiter before he learned the truth.
- The Psycho Rangers: The False Cybercops created by Einstein in Episode 22. They are capable of reading and countering the real ones' every move, sending the team straight into a collective Heroic BSOD. However, they have two factors which allow them to defeat their copies: teamwork and Tomoko.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Houjou towards Takeda at the beginning. Let's just say that he didn't really buy Takeda's Kid from the Future story.
- What Could Have Been: The show was an attempt to create a Tokusatsu series using the Super Sentai motif, but the idea was dropped after the unaired episode 0.