Reviewing all the latest cartoons, because the 90s are over, internet. Get over it.Dark Side of the Toon
is an Internet
review show, similar to the shows on That Guy with the Glasses
. But, instead of reviewing nostalgic movies
to see just how bad they were, the host, Tooch, has taken it upon himself to review animated tv shows
that have come out since 2010, in an attempt to introduce us to a side of animation that we may not be familiar with.
Tooch has currently placed Dark Side of the Toon on indefinite hiatus.
So far, the shows reviewed have been:
This show provides discusses and provides examples of:
- Big "NO!"
Tooch: Sorry little guy, your love for Rarity is...nothing more than a mere running gag.
- Character Development: Rarity starts the series as "fairly useless," but eventually "develops as a character and makes for some great comedy."
- Cut Away Gag: Tooch's giving Family Guy a run for their money.
- Dark Is Not Evil: The show's title. Here "dark" refers to unknown, rather than bad.
- Digital Piracy Is Evil
- Executive Meddling: The only reason Princess Celestia is a "princess", rather than a queen.
- Expy: "Kick's obnoxious older brother Terrence - I mean Brad."
- Flat "What.": Tooch's initial reaction to Friendship Is Magic.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Kick Buttowski has "violence of near Tom and Jerry levels."
- Hey, It's That Voice!: "I know that voice! It's Danny Cooksey!!"
- Literal Metaphor: The magical Power of Friendship can make for some "powerful pony juju."
- Loser Protagonist: "Huh, Butch Hartman must really love to torture his characters."
- Non Sequitur: Tooch introduces each episode with some random comment about some 1990s animated show.
- Nostalgia Filter: Tooch believes that a lot of 1990s kids have their nostalgia goggles on way too tight, refusing to acknowledge anything animated after 2005 as any good.
- Real Men Wear Pink: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic has gotten his most enthusiastic recommendation.
- He also talks a bit about the need for "girls' shows" that boys can enjoy in his Adventure Time review.
- Straight Gay: Tooch mentions having a boyfriend in the Transformers Prime episode. In fact, the long hiatus was caused by Tooch's flying to visit him in Wales for two months.
- Stroke the Beard
Tooch: "I don't have enough beard hair for this."