This video is about shipping. If you don't know what shipping is, RUN. RUN, AND NEVER GET INVOLVED.
Llamas are a thing. As are weird t-shirts, visible underwear, and placentas.
danisnotonfire, otherwise known as Dan Howell, is a British youtuber who also happens to be an INTERNET CULT LEADER
Dan is a good example of an Ascended Fanboy
: He spent years watching fellow-youtuber AmazingPhil
, until eventually becoming friends with Phil though incessant tweeting and video commenting (an unlikely turn-of-events that he would later parody in a mock how-to video). Dan told Phil that he'd always wanted to make videos on youtube, but just didn't think he would be any good. With Phil's encouragement, Dan gave it a go anyway and the rest, as they say, is history. He has since made videos not only with AmazingPhil
, but also Kickthe PJ
, and charlieissocoollike
. He and Phil also are heavily involved with BBC Radio 1
, formerly just hosting events, running contests, and broadcasting the odd Christmas show, but now have moved to running their own request show on Sunday nights from 7pm-9pm, one of the first radio shows on the station to be fully broadcast during the entire show every week.
Dan's videos span a lot of different topics and formats, though he rarely does straight-forward vlogging. He makes videos describing his past failings with LOADS of self-deprecating humor, discussing topics he finds relevant/interesting, and truth-or-dare type videos. He often uses a skit format that makes sense when you find out that he's done a lot of theatre and has/had aspirations of being an actor. Oddly, he was getting a law degree before he decided that University probably wasn't for him.
It's worth mentioning that he and Phil do an excessive number of collaborative videos, to the point that the two of them have a joint channel called The Super Amazing Project. Most of their collab videos on their main channels involve the two of them answering fan questions, generally just hanging out or doing everyday activities such as cooking or playing video games, or interactive chose-your-own-adventure videos. The humor in these videos rely mostly on their back-and-forth and their chemistry as friends.
- Things To Note:
- He is not posh.
- He is not emo.
- He does not need an abortion.
- His penis is not two foot long and glowing blue.
- In at least one video, he actually is on fire.
Tropes used by danisnotonfire:
- Acting for Two: In a whole bunch of videos. He will occasionally act for three or four.
- American Accents: He and Phil sometimes do this when fans ask them to. However, Dan is terrible at it as he sounds about as American as Queen Elizabeth. His Valley Girl accent is impeccable though.
- Berserk Button: If you touch his neck, he will karate-chop you.
- Bishōnen: Dear God.
- Butt Monkey: Dan himself, of course, but the recurring character "Becky" (whenever he crossdresses) tends to take a lot of abuse as well.
- Big Eater: Claims to be one.
- Call Back: Kind of. In his Photobooth challenge with Phil, they use the moon backdrop and Dan trips over his bed. Phil remarks "Dan just fell off the moon," which was one of the options in their Would You Rather video that happened over two years back.
- Catch Phrase:
- "Hello, internet!"
- "Smooth moves, Dan."
- "Every time..."
- "Oh my God, Becky."
- Cluster F-Bomb: In "How To Speak Internet", the Harries twins(from Jacks Gap) troll him with this after finding out that he will be bleeping the swear words.
- Crossdresser: He does this, complete with fake boobs when he is playing female characters. He even donned a wig when playing Carly Rae Jepsen.
- Crossover: With AmazingPhil absolutely all the time.
- Deadpan Snarker: Oh yes. Especially in comparison to hyperactive Keet Phil.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Dan often pokes fun at how he looks very feminine.
- "Oh my god, Becky, I just saw the tallest lesbian ever and she was such a pervert!"
- Meet Carly Rae Howell.◊
- Formerly Fat
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With AmazingPhil- although many fans are determinedly blind to the "heterosexual" part.
- The Hero Dies: In Phil's Christmas Adventure.
- Nerd Glasses: In the News segments for his and Phil's Super Amazing Project videos.
- Non-Identical Twins: People often compare him to Anthony Padilla from Smosh, despite the fact that they don't look much alike.
- Oh Crap: In "Sexy Internet Dating - London", Dan has one (which Phil soon echoes) upon realizing that Dan just sent their location to the person they were chatting with.
- One of Us: Enjoys, among other nerdy things, Pokemon, anime, and video games.
- Portmanteau Couple Name: Phan(Phil and Dan).
- Precision F-Strike: All the time. Sometimes, he bleeps them out but only if he thinks it's necessary.
- Pun: phanfiction, phandom... basically anything with the word "fan" in it is replaced with "phan" as short-hand for a fanwork that is associated with Dan and/or Phil.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Look at him.◊
- Real Person Shipping: Dan/Phil, otherwise known as Phan, is pretty popular in the fandom and Dan knows. He even has a video where he discusses shipping and he and Phil act-out part of a phanfic.
- Running Gag: "What is with the cat whiskers?"
- When Dan states something and something in the room falls to reveal something that contradicts what he said
- Self-Deprecation: Almost every single video has him doing this. He even has series of videos called "Reasons why Dan's a Fail".
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Dan maintains that there is a difference between having a vocabulary and being this. Or in his words, "Being a waffly twat."
- Shirtless Scene: In his "I Can't Sleep" video, justified because he sleeps that way.
- Socially-Awkward Hero: emphasis on the socially awkward part.
- Stalker with a Crush: The whole point of his "How to Befriend Your Favourite Internet Stars" video.
- That Came Out Wrong: So. Many. Times.
- "If you've enjoyed this video, please thumb me."
- "Who needs friends when you've got whipped cream and Lara Croft?"
- "Equal amount of exercise with both arms."
- You Have Gotto Be Kidding Me!: The recurring element in all of his stories of his embarrassing and awkward moments