When Daniel Fox woke up one Monday Morning at home in New York City, he thought it would be a day like any other. Little did he know that it was the day he would die.After witnessing the murder of an old man and being kidnapped from the museum of Ancient History, Daniel Fox ends up in a waiting room, the waiting room that leads to the capital of the Underworld, the great and most noble city of Arison.Radually the world of Arison is revealed to Daniel – the classification by number, ruling by the Elite Lower Lords – but he seems to have a special role to play. Why him? And does he have what it takes to fulfil his destiny?First book by Andy Peterson, the youngest South African author.
This text includes the following:
- Author Avatar – Daniel Fox. According to Peterson his original physical attributes were based on himself. He also based the character on himself and his friends.
- Heroic Archetype – Daniel Fox
- President Evil - king Sculfair. He’s the Big Bad of Arison
- La Résistance – a bunch of kids (what are the chances all the Number One’s are kids, huh?) must save Arison from the Evil Overlord
- Mentors – Nao and Firefox
- Cryptic Conversation – More like a cryptic half-burned diary. Nao is also guilty of this.
- Cloudcuckoolander – Charlotte Peter. Her pastimes include counting bricks and clapping her hands twice and clicking.
- Dystopia –Arison is the epitome of this trope.
- Moral Dissonance – While Sandra is trying to ruin people’s lives, our protagonist Daniel just sits back and watches, apparently feeling no urge to do anything to stop her. What the Hell, Hero??
- Axes at School – Well, at the Museum of Ancient History, really.
- Masquerade – only briefly mentioned. Apparently there are elves hiding in caves somewhere.
- Save Both Worlds – The series plot from now on.
- Faustian Rebellion – Daniel and Sculfair’s relationship.
- Guarding The Portal – only briefly, and it doesn’t work. This is because of those pesky Legions of Hell.
- Hell Gate – This thing is actually rather confusing. So they were dead, right? But now they’re back...? Wouldn’t people be surprised to see them?
- Amulet Of Dependancy – The Harlequin’s necklace.
- Our Elves Are Different – He’s not an elf, he’s a Nephir.
- The Artful Dodger – Oscar. He even wears a top hat!