open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Being the barbarian he is, Conan the Barbarian in all his appearances in media (comic books, movies, tabletop games, video games, etc.) usually wears animal skins and parts into his costume, included a fur loincloth and a necklace made of teeth.
- The Swarm of War has Orks outfitting themselves with armor and weapons made out of Zerg bones. The Ork leader is actually called Warboss Bugklaw.
Film - Animated
- Nac Mac Feegles from Discworld books make plenty of gear from animal parts, but since they are wee people they make use of small animals; rabbit skulls are used as helmets, mouse leather is used for bagpipes etc.
- Often appears in Redwall, and used for disturbing effect considering that it takes place in a World of Funny Animals. There are a few villains in the series with clothing, armor, or weapons made from parts of animals they've allegedly killed, such as Cluny the Scourge and his cloak made from bat wings, and Urgan Nagru and his wolf pelt, with the skull intact.
- Dungeons & Dragons
- 1st Edition Monster Manual. The large plates behind a bulette's head can be made into shields of up to plus three power by a skilled dwarven craftsman.
- Dragon magazine
- #62 has "Evil dragon armors", an article on making armor out of dragon scales. Each type has specific abilities based on the dragon it's made from.
- The #98 article "The Magic of Dragon Teeth", which has dragon teeth made into magical devices that could summon "dragon men" when planted in the earth.
- Module WG5 Mordenkainen's Fantastic Adventure. The whip possessed by the iron golem is made out of cockatrice feathers. It retains the cockatrice's ability to petrify any creature it hits.
- Dark Sun setting. Because of the shortage of metal, bones were often made into weapons.
- In Baldur's Gate the shells (exoskeletons) of ankheg monsters can be made into armor.
- In Dragon Age: Origins, there are several sets of armor that can be made from drake scales and dragon scales by Wade.
- The Elder Scrolls:
- Traditional Bosmer weaponry and clothing tends to be made at least in part from animals due to the Green Pact preventing them from harvesting plants within Valenwood.
- Bonemold armour is made by gluing layers of bone with resin, serving as medium armour in Morrowind. In-Universe legends hold that it was invented at the request of a Lord who needed armour that was light enough for his servants to wear while they fetched water in drought conditions, but heavy enough to protect them from groups of roving cannibals.
- In Skyrim parts from slain dragons can be used to craft some of the best armour in the game. Their bones can be made into heavy "dragonplate" armour and their skin can be made into light "dragonscale" armour.
- Elsword has a lot of weapons and occasionally armors made/taken from the bosses' body. The Secret Dungeon Bonus Bosses in particular tend to either drop the special equipments themselves (rarely), or drop the materials you'd need to craft the equipment (more commonly).
- In the last Killer Instinct game, Chief Thunder returns from the first game with large feathers in his head and a necklace made of teeth, probably from wild animals like wolves, bears, etc. This trope becomes more literal with his alternate costumes, having helmets with heads of a bear, a wolf, a skull of an animal and even in one costume, his axes are sharped bones attached to a stone and a stick.
- Animals in Minecraft frequently drop resources such as leather, wool, feathers or ink sacs that can be crafted into more stuff. Thus, any gear the player obtains through these materials qualifies for this trope.
- Monster Hunter is this - the game. You are a hunter tasked with killing monsters, using their body parts to build and upgrade armor and weapons, and use them to hunt even stronger monsters.
- There are quite a lot of armor and weapons made from monsters in RuneScape
- Most ranged armor is crafted from the hides of animals such as dragons.
- Some low level magic armors are also made from monster parts.
- Noxious weapons are made from the body parts of a giant spider boss.
- Drygore weapons are made from parts of the Kalphite King.
- In Pokémon, Skarmory's Pokédex entries mention that in the past people used to use their shed feathers as swords.
- The first clothing was made of materials such as animal hide, and in modern times people still wear clothing made from animals in the form of fur coats and leather.