The finale of Toho and Konami's ChouSeiShin trilogy
, Chou Sei Kantai Sazer X
debuted in 2005.
In the year 2500, the Earth has been conquered by an evil race of Space Pirates
known as "Neo-Descal" and covered in eternal darkness. With no other options left, the last remnants of Earth's armada send three of their ships through a wormhole that takes them back in time to the year 2005
According to the history books of the future, this was the year where three legendary Space Pirates
from the "Descal" fleet conquered Earth by capturing the twelve mystical Cosmo Capsules
and using their power to plunge the world into darkness. For the sake of averting this Bad Future
, the heroes of the future recruit a modern man (Takuto Ando) to complete their Power Trio
and form the Super Star Fleet, Sazer X.
This show features examples of:
- And Knowing Is Half the Battle: An affectionate parody of it. While the lessons themselves are rather standard, the way of showing it is very funny. An example is the lesson 'Don't go with strangers' in which one of the villains uses a literal Paper-Thin Disguise, in the form of a paper mask.
Remy': Yui, look carefully! Ad doesn't have horns like that!
- Bittersweet Ending: The heroes win, but Commander Shark is erased from existence.
- Combining Mecha: The Ryu Sei Shin.
- Cool Old Guy: Andou Soujirou. He is a Gadgeteer Genius, able to repair and modify future technology and is not afraid to get close to the battlefield when needed.
- Dancing Theme
- Death by Irony: Grouza, the Evil Genius of Neo Descal, constantly demeans and humiliates her ancestors despite the fact that they need to be kept alive to maintain the timeline and keep Neo Descal in existence. Later on when Thundera shows up, Grouza dismisses her as unimportant to the timeline because she's not in any records. Turns out that Grouza is a descendant of Thundera and Blaird, and when Sazer X inadvertently stops them from meeting, Grouza is erased from history.
- Elemental Powers
- Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors: Each space-pirate and Sazer has one of the four elements of fire, water, wind and lightning. Fire-based fighters are weak against water, water is weak against wind, which is weak against thunder, which in turn is weak against fire.
- Evil Counterpart: two of them. Jackall during the middle of the show. And during the finale, the Big Bad turns into one to Lio Sazer, called Black Lio, basically being a Palette Swap of the former.
- Finishing Move
- Lio-Sazer: "Lio Fire"
- Eagle-Sazer: "Eagle Typhoon"
- Beetle-Sazer: "Beetle Slash"
- Shark-Sazer: "Shark Flash"
- Freudian Trio
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere
- Gotta Catch 'Em All: The Cosmo Capsules.
- Heel-Face Turn: The Three Shogun, starting with Blaird.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: So you're telling me Barizorg and Ankh were teammates before?
- Knight of Cerebus: Groaza is definately this trope. Before she appeared, the series was fairly light and humorous. The villains looked more like a bickering family than a real threat, causing the heroes to score victory after victory. But after Groaza appears, things start to get really difficult for thee heroes...
- Lighter and Fluffier: Initially
- Mirror Match: Takuto vs Black-Lio.
- Put on a Bus: Jackall after the producers discovered the actor's gay porn past.
- Quirky Miniboss Squad: The Three Shoguns
- Take a Third Option: Pulled by the villains. When Neo King Descal appears in the past, he decides that instead of following history and conquering the Earth by collecting all the Cosmo Capsules, he'll just build a Doomsday Device on the moon to do it for him instead.
- Time Travel
- Weapon of Choice
- "Well Done, Son" Guy: This series has multiple people with this issue, but all of them are subverted.
- In the first Arc, Takuto is trying to meet the expectations of his famous grandfather Soujirou. He explicitly states his grandfather is a giant wall he must overcome in order to make his dream come true. After a while, Soujirou asks Takuto to hit him, making clear he is just a frail old main and not some wall he has to overcome.
- Blaird, like Takuto, wants to appease his own authority figure Captain Barder. but after lightning hits the ship, Captain Barder is revealed to be a robot and short circuits. This causes Blaird to doubt his cause as a pirate.