"CATHERINE ZZZZZZZEEEEETA JOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNZZZZZ!... One day you will be mine."Celebrities. They are The Beautiful Elite. Even the ugly ones are usually just Beautiful All Along. In addition to their attractiveness, the talent — be it acting, singing, or something more strange and out there — is what gets the attention of the media, who then brings it to the hungry viewing world. Take a gorgeous person, inundate the world with their image, and there's the illusion of closeness and attainability. Never mind that you're Loving a Shadow. Thus people are prone to fall victim to the celeb crush, which can vary from hopeless, depressive mooning to innocent fantasizing to crazy schemes to meet and woo the object of their affections. Taken to the dark extreme, you get Stalker With a Crush on their celebrity. Teenagers everywhere of both sexes (and no small number of adults) will fall prey to the charms of the hottie du jour. Happens in Real Life as well as in fiction. Fictional examples can include Yandere, Loony Fan, or Stalker With a Crush, though those can also be Ripped from the Headlines too. They may even be benign crushes, but where's the story in that? The opposite of this trope is Perverse Sexual Lust, where people (somehow) are attracted to fictional characters instead. Though it can overlap if a person likes both the character and the person portraying them. More than a roomful of fans crushing on a celebrity could be a fan mob, which is sort of the inverse of an Angry Mob. Fan mobs tend to want to pepper their crush with kisses while simultaneously ripping off clothing or props for souvenirs.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Barnaby Brooks Jr. from Tiger & Bunny tends to collect fangirls like honey collects flies — including his partner Kotetsu's own preteen daughter. Kotetsu is a bit annoyed by this, particularly since Barnaby actively encourages it.
Kotetsu: Don't you ever get tired of that?
- In Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny Lunamaria Hawke, Meyrin Hawke, and Meer Campbell all have major hero crushes on Ace Pilot Athrun Zala, one of the protagonists of the previous series. They're all a little dissapointed when they meet the man behind the legend. Athrun for his part, doesn't even seem to notice their interest (and in Luna's case brushes her off by saying that "I can't allow your feelings to jeopardise the ability of this team to cooperate."), though he does act kindly towards Meyrin after she saves his life and they both defect, and later refuses to leave Meer alone with the enemy... then is VERY upset when she dies in an Heroic Sacrifice. (And the Extended Edition shows him alongside Meyrin, so the possibility of her developing real feelings for him is not necessarily outta the question.
- From UC Gundam series set between the One Year War and Char's Counterattack, Amuro and Char pick up a fair number of these:
- Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: Amuro has Beltorchika Irma, while Char has Reccoa and possibly Emma.
- In Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack, Quess Paraya has a crush on Amuro, but quickly deserts him for Char.
- Char's Deleted Affair shows off Char's Chick Magnet skills, with Haman Karn (future evil overlord, now a mostly-cheerful and innocent schoolgirl), Oksana Boginskaya, and a young Nanai Miguel all attracted to him.
- Slam Dunk: Haruko Akagi is perfectly aware that her feelings for Kaede Rukawa are this, ever since the beginning. Therefore she fangirls him from afar, but never really expects him to notice her. (And in the anime, when it actually sinks in, she's briefly drivn to tears)
- Mentioned in Wandering Son. One of Nitori's classmates mentions to her that he likes Anna, a popular teen model. Nitori awkwardly says the same as she's in a Secret Relationship with Anna.
- In Yuri!!! on Ice, Yuri Katsuki has admired famous Russian figure skater Victor Nikiforov ever since he was a child, and his admiration veers into this. He grows out of it after Victor becomes his coach and they get to know each other better, and eventually their relationship becomes a genuine romance.
- In Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8, Buffy and Willow list various crushes, such as Daniel Craig and a Twin Threesome Fantasy with Christian Bale for Buffy and Tina Fey for Willow. Naturally Faith tries to get Angel to drag Craig to her.
- Marvel Comics character Jessica Jones had a crush on Johnny Storm of the Fantastic Four.
- Early on, Deadpool often mentioned having a crush on Cindy Crawford. Nowadays, it's become a running gag that he's attracted to Bea Arthur.
- The Eagles of Rome: At a Roman camp in Germania around 9CE, one of the German recruits talks about how much he'd like to meet "that beautiful Egyptian queen", Cleopatra VII. Someone with more knowledge of recent history has to tell him that she's been dead for more than half a century.
- This is the entire plot of Rainbow in the Dark, which is about the relationship between Rainbow Dash and an ordinary stallion who recently moved to Ponyville.
- Takara Tsukuda of Despair's Last Resort has one on a famous newscaster that she doesn't want anyone to know about. Hikaru Nagai seems to be the victim of this, as it's mentioned that he has a ton of fangirls.
- As part of their Batman Gambit in Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, the pirates must enact a ritual involving words spoken as if to a lover, but the pirates are all a Large Ham who've never known a love they didn't pay for... except one:
Ragetti: [whispers tenderly] "Calypso... I release you from your human bonds."
- There's that woman in Southland Tales who's obsessed with Boxer Santoros, and tries to force him at gunpoint to let her blow him.
- Play Misty for Me and The Fan were about the Loony Fan variety.
- The Fifth Element: Korben Dallas' hotel concierge lady has a crush on Ruby Rhod. I just love him. He's so talented, don't you think? He's so sexy.
- Win A Date With Tad Hamilton was about exploiting the crush.
- Prince Char from Ella Enchanted had mobs of screaming fangirls.
- Borat is obsessed with Pamela Anderson.
- In The Love Guru, Le Coq Grande has a thing for fellow French-Canadian CÚline Dion.
- Phil Foster from Date Night confesses to his wife that his "sex fantasy" involves Cyndi Lauper.
- Broadway Melody of 1938 featured Judy Garland singing "You Made Me Love You" to a photograph of Clark Gable.
- Love and Death on Long Island adapts the novel about a highbrow novelist who becomes obsessed with a Teen Idol.
- In Kill Bill Volume 2, Bill's father figure Esteban Vihaio, a Mexican pimp, tells a story about how he once took Bill to the movies when he was a little boy. He could tell that Bill was drawn to blondes when he noted that the boy had a Precocious Crush for 1940s-1950s movie star Lana Turner.
- I Wanna Hold Your Hand circled around celeb crushes on The Beatles.
- In P. G. Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster short story "The Love that Purifies", Aunt Dahlia has a bet with a friend that her son Bonzo can behave better than her Aunt Agatha's offspring Thomas while a mutual acquaintance is staying with Bertie; Bonzo is toeing the line so he can be worthy of movie star Lillian Gish, who he has a big crush on. Unfortunately, Thomas is behaving even better, because he has a crush on Greta Garbo.
- In Cinder, Cinder's stepsisters have a huge crush on Prince Kai. So does Cinder herself, despite all her denial.
- Love and Death on Long Island gives this a slight twist by making the crush befall a highbrow novelist who's totally oblivious to pop culture and celebrity. His crush leads him not only to stalking but appreciating art that he thought was beneath him.
- In Newsflesh, Shaun Mason was the target of many a girl with a crush on him as a famous Irwin.
- Elle Riley has to keep her girlfriend secret to maintain the interest of her show's viewers, who are mostly straight men attracted to her.
- In Space Marine Battles novel Rynn's World, Maia Caglieri is heavily implied to have a crush on Pedro Cantor, only while she is a member of The Beautiful Elite as a noblewoman, he's a Space Marine Chapter Master, the Emperor's Angel of Death and actually asexual, like all of them.
- In the Bridget Jones books, Bridget has a huge crush in Colin Firth.
- During Cannie Shapiro's stay in Hollywood, in Good in Bed, she gets to meet and hang out with her crush, Adrian Stadt. She ends up having to make sure nothing bad doesn't happen after he passes out from the effects of the drugs he took, earlier.
- Stephen King's novel The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, nine-year-old Trisha (the titular girl) has a crush on the baseball player Tom Gordon, though she doesn't admit it to anyone, and says that she only likes him because he's a good player.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Harmony clearly has one: "No threesomes! Unless it's boy, boy, girl. Or Charlize Theron."
- In Smallville, while Clark has always been a super-Chick Magnet, he got his share of crazy fangirls when he becomes an in-universe celebrity in "Infamous". Trust me, they aren't half as crazy as the real world fans of Tom Welling.
- New Tricks has had a case or two of the trio being involved in a case where they fancied the person when younger.
- The Brady Bunch: Marsha Brady had a crush on Desi Arnaz Jr. and later, Davy Jones.
- On Night Court Harry Stone had a non-sexual crush on Mel Torme. Non-sexual...but still borderline stalkery.
- Analysed in Coupling with Jeff's theory about what happens when two lovers' Celebrity Crushes meet — which occurs at the end of the episode, between Steve's crush (Mariella Frostrup) and Susan's (Angus Deayton). Jeff reckons this phenomenon is the reason there are so many celebrity marriages.
Jeff: If you fantasize about someone else during sex, and so does your partner, and, you know, those two people that you're fantasizing about happen to meet while you're still doing it, they're bound to sense something, aren't they? Because they're connecting on, like, a virtual plane. So can you imagine what it was like when Posh first met Beckham? They were the epicenter of a non-stop, nationwide virtual shag!
- One crazy woman not only has a crush on actor Joey, but actually thinks he is a doctor called Drake Ramoray, a character he plays in Show Within a Show Days of Our Lives.
- Rachel also had a Celeb Crush on Joey in "The One That Could've Been".
- Monica has hots for the actor Jean-Claude Van Damme who plays himself as an actor in a film being made in New York. The gang is allowed to be on the set because they are friends with Marcel the monkey who used to belong to Ross. Rachel has guts to go to talk to Jean-Claude and he finds her cute and asks her out, and Monica thus thinks Rachel stole him from her.
- In the one with the laminated list, Chandler introduces the concept of having an agreement with your partner about being able to have sex with five celebrities of your choice, should you have a chance to score.
- Chandler's girlfriend Janice has the magician David Copperfield among her freebies.
- Chandler's own list includes Kim Basinger, Cindy Crawford, Halle Berry, Yasmine Bleeth, and Jessica Rabbit.
- Rachel promptly makes her selection on the spot: Chris ODonnel, John F. Kennedy Jr., Daniel Day-Lewis, Sting, and Parker Stevenson.
- Ross spends the whole episode trying to come up with a perfect list, and his final version involves Uma Thurman, Winona Ryder, Elizabeth Hurley, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Dorothy Hamill. He wanted to include Isabella Rosselini, but the guys convinced him that she's too international, so his odds would be very low. Too bad Rosselini did appear in their favourite coffee place; however, Rachel allowed him to hit on her despite being out of the list. It doesn't go well.
- When Rachel and Phoebe discuss pregnancy hormones, Phoebe says she remembers trying to steal a cardboard cutout of Evander Holyfield when she was in her forth month. At the end we find out she did steal it and she offers it to Rachel. However, her affection for the cutout is too strong and she cannot bring herself to lend it to her. Quite an example of in-universe Perverse Sexual Lust.
- The list concept gets mentioned again in "The One With Chandler and Monica's Wedding" when Jack Gellar cheerfully discussed his and Judy's lists with Ross, oblivious to how squicked he was. Jack's includes Rita Monero. (We don't get told what celebrities are on Judy's, but Gunther is.)
- Ryan has a 'Free Five' list: five celebrities that he can sleep with and it 'won't count'. This causes problems, naturally, when one of those actresses works with the team briefly.
- In "The Squab and the Quill", Ioan Gruffudd plays Eric Vaughn, a genius-level inventor, billionaire and all-round innovator. He's Famed In-Story and both Beckett and the coroner fancy him and gush about him being handsome, hot, rich, and having a British accent.
- The Suite Life of Zack and Cody establishes that London and Maddie have a major crush on Orlando Bloom (which caused a Noodle Incident) and both are quite enamoured with Jesse McCartney as well, when he pops up as a Special Guest.
- Mac from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia has a crush on Chase Utley. He insists in isn't sexual, but his friends are somewhat disbelieving.
- The Colbert Report for a long time had a Running Gag of the fictional Stephen Colbert lusting for the real CNN anchorwoman Soledad O'Brien.
- He also harbors one for Paulina Porizkova, which always pops up when her husband, Ric Ocasek of The Cars, makes appearances.
- Not the Nine O'Clock News had a song dedicated to a woman's latest crush, Ayatollah Khomeini. The lyrics indicate she had a similar thing for Anwar Sadat, Menachem Begin and Helmut Schmidt.
- In Mystery Science Theater 3000, Gypsy's infatuation with Richard Basehart is a Running Gag.
- On the show Stargate SG-1, Jack O'Neill has a crush on Mary Steenburgen, which is mentioned in numerous episodes across several seasons of the show.
- On Spaced, Tim Bisley has a crush on Gillian Anderson.
- On Parks and Recreation Leslie Knope's crush on Joe Biden is a bit of a Running Gag; when she gets engaged, her fiancé calls in favors to get her a meeting with Biden as an engagement present. (And yes, Biden appeared As Himself for the episode.)
- Florence from The Jeffersons had a crush on Billy Dee Williams and got to meet him.
- Twin Peaks: FBI Deputy Director Gordon Cole (David Lynch) tells his colleagues that he often has dreams featuring Monica Bellucci.
- Game of Thrones: Some of the highborn-nobles are so well-known that they becomes the target of desire for commoners.
- Salladhor Saan, a pirate allied with Stannis' army, talks about how he wants to seduce Queen Cersei as his only demand for taking part in the siege on King's Landing.
- Queen Daenerys' rule in Slaver's Bay leaves such an impression on Essos that a prostitute in Volantis imitates her appearance to get more clients.
- "Your Voice" by The Downtown Fiction.
- The Pixies' "Make Believe" is a joke song about drummer David Lovering's crush on Debbie Gibson.
- "Superstar" by Taylor Swift.
- "Pictures of Lily" by The Who, about a boy who falls in love with a picture of a dead celebrity.
- "My Baby's in Love with Eddie Vedder" by "Weird Al" Yankovic.
- "Élodie"note by David Mead.
- "Natalie Portman" by Ozma.
- "#1 Crush" by Garbage could have anybody substitute for the crush, including a celebrity. The "#1" in the title could be referring to a pop hit on the charts, or a movie's position in the box office charts.
- "David Duchovny" by Bree Sharp.
- Bloodhound Gang's "The Ballad of Chasey Lain" - which degrades into the Loony Fan kidnapping said porn star.
- Van Halen's "I'll Wait" is a love song to a model in a print ad. Though the distance is discussed ("Are you for real, it's so hard to tell, from just a magazine").
- The Beautiful People had a crush on Vice Presidential Nominee Sarah Palin's husband, to the point they didn't even really know what Sarah herself looked like. Velvet Sky and Angelina Love anyway. Not Kip.
- Jim Nye, science guy, for Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey host, Astrophysicist Neil Degrasse Tyson.
- A Day With Bowser Jr: Bowser Jr is in love with famous Koopa journalist Kylie Koopa.
- Several appear in Dork Tower over the years, most notably Matt with Sarah Michelle Geller and Carson the muskrat with Megan Morrone. Megan refuses to discuss whether her baby is actually Carson's...
- Vriska from Homestuck has one on Nicolas Cage, complete with Stalker Shrine.
- John, the guy who first showed a video of Cage to Vriska, has one on Liv Tyler. Or, if you ask Dave, Matt McConnaughey.
- In A Very Potter Musical, this is presumably the reason why Ron wouldn't be able to destroy an Ashley Tisdale poster if it was a horocrux, like the Zac Efron poster.
- The Nostalgia Critic has a HUGE one for Catherine Zeta Jones. Watch ANY review of his for a movie she's in.
- Likewise The Nostalgia Chick for Will Smith, not that she'd admit it.
- The Critic has also demonstrated a crush on Will Smith, occasionally having to remind himself he likes boobs.
- So far the Rap Critic has made two jokes about being attracted to Nicki Minaj, one involving a Freudian Slip and the other implying A Date with Rosie Palms. Well, there was a joke where he did a fake proposal, but that was only to parody DJ Khaled's actual proposal to Nicki on MTV.
- Film Brain admits that part of why he saw When In Rome regards Kristen Bell, though the quality of the movie kinda hurt his crush. His review of Night at the Museum 2 also mentions the "absolutely adorable Amy Adams - I know you're all thinking of this...".
- MK3 of Swag Sold Separately has one on Carly Rae Jepsen.
- Hank Green has one on Helen Hunt. And who can blame him? She's Helen Hunt!
- Sam & Mickey's videos give Stacie a crush on Justin Bieber.
- Matt of Two Best Friends Play has expressed an attraction towards Emma Stone.
- ''The Fairly OddParents!:
- Both of Timmy Turner's parents have a crush on Chip Skylark, and so did Vicky until she found out he was broke.
- Cosmo has a crush on pop star Britney Britney.
- The Mighty B! has a hero worship thing for Miriam Breedlove.
- On The Flintstones, Wilma and Betty crushed on Stony Curtis and Cary Granite and Fred and Barney crushed on Ann Margrock.
- Kick Buttowski has an idol worship thing on Billy Stumps.
- Meg from Family Guy has a crush on Tom Tucker and has a daydream sequence about him based on the masturbation sequence from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
- Cleofatra from Gravedale High has a crush on werewolf soap star Billy Headstone from Trudy and the Beast.
- Jake the Dog from Adventure Time has one on the legendary hero Billy. "I love you, Billy! I got a secret crush on you, Billy!"
- During her High School days, Marge Simpson had a crush on Ringo Starr, and painted pictures of herself with him, including one of them getting married.
- On Total Drama World Tour, Sierra has a "crush" on Cody from his time in the previous seasons (since Total Drama is also a Reality Show Within a Show).
- Played straight in the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic episode "Simple Ways" when Rarity develops a crush on famous travel writer Trenderhoof. This is quickly inverted when Trenderhoof develops a crush on Applejack.
- In Star vs. the Forces of Evil, Janna mentions she has a crush on John Keats.