How can you tell when a character's Hot-Blooded
? Give them a catchphrase along the lines of "To the max!" or "To the limit!" This particular turn of phrase is very iconic of the 90s.
Now edit this page TO THE EXTREME!!
open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- Eyeshield 21: Monta's catch phrase, usually "Catch to the max!" or "Catch max!", but can be applied to other actions. Trope Namer.
- Ikkyu, one of his rivals, was more subdued, but had a habit of adding "oni" to many things he said, which served the same purpose.
- Ryohei Sasagawa's catchphrase from Katekyo Hitman Reborn!.
- A minor character (Van) in a later arc of The Law of Ueki has this catch phrase.
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. While they don't use the phrase directly, it's rare to find an episode outside of Simoun's Heroic BSOD and immediately following the Time Skip where there's not a roaring speech dedicated to cranking it Up to Eleven.
- Nomially the Catchphase for several characters could be "Just who the Hell do you think we Are?"
- The Japanese equivalent is "MK5", short for "Five seconds before seriously losing it". Seen both in its original form and replaced with "to the max" in the English version of the Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei manga.
- The movie Bushwacked plays with this. The main character (who's pretending to be a scout master in order to trick a troop of boy scouts into helping him climb a cliff to absolve him of a crime (It Makes Sense in Context) mutters "You're going to get Max to the top of the cliff". A scout asks him who Max is (it's him, but he can't tell them that) so he covers with "Us! Because we're going to push ourselves TO THE MAX!".
- A previous working title for Godzilla 3D was Godzilla 3D to the MAX (also referring to showing it in Imax theaters)
- "To infinity and beyond!"
Live Action TV
- "Go! Sonichu! Go out and zap to the extreme!" (Judging from the comic having started when Johnny Extreme was at his extremest, the line was stolen directly from X-Play.)
- And yet it was never said again.
- Homestar Runner has a music video entitled "Everybody to the Limit."
- "To the Max" was a Catch Phrase of Funzo from The Simpsons.
- Another Simpsons example: A video game console in advertised as being "Slightly more powerful...TO THE MAX!" When Bart sees he only has the older model, he chucks it into the fireplace. As it melts, it pleads, "Don't destroy me! I can still make you happy! TO THE Maaaa...."
- Spoofed in "Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie": "Kids, always recycle... TO THE EXTREME!!"
- Centurions: "POWERRRR EXTREME-REME-REEME-REEME"
- The line "Zany to the max" from the Animaniacs theme song pretty much denotes what happens in the show.
- "Poot'n on NEPTR to the max!"
- "Well, let's go cheer her up! TO THE MAX!"