open/close all folders
Anime And Manga
- Eyeshield 21: Monta's catch phrase, usually "Catch to the max!" or "Catch max!", but can be applied to other actions. He's the Trope Namer for a reason. He's practically burning with hot blood.
- Ikkyu, one of his rivals, was more subdued, but had a habit of adding "oni" to many things he said, which served the same purpose.
- Ryohei Sasagawa's catchphrase from Katekyō Hitman Reborn!.
- A minor character (Van) in a later arc of The Law of Ueki has this catch phrase.
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: "Go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb!" is the catchphrase of Kamina, who is always on the extreme edge of action.
- The Japanese equivalent is "MK5", short for "Five seconds before seriously losing it". Seen both in its original form and replaced with "to the max" in the English version of the Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei manga.
- The movie Bushwacked plays with this. The main character (who's pretending to be a scout master in order to trick a troop of boy scouts into helping him climb a cliff to absolve him of a crime (It Makes Sense in Context) mutters "You're going to get Max to the top of the cliff". A scout asks him who Max is (it's him, but he can't tell them that) so he covers with "Us! Because we're going to push ourselves TO THE MAX!".
- A previous working title for Godzilla 3D was Godzilla 3D to the MAX (also referring to showing it in Imax theaters)
- "To infinity and beyond!"
Live Action TV
- "Break the limit! Go-on Gold!" (Of course, he uses "Genkai", Japanese for limit.)
- Parodied in a Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode in which they append "Exxxxxxxxxxtreeeeeeeeeeeeeeme!" to everything, like crocheting. EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEME RICE!
- X-Play had the Totally Radical character Johnny Extreme, to whom everything was EXTREME and TO THE MAX.
- "To the Max" was a Catch-Phrase of Funzo from The Simpsons.
- Another Simpsons example: A video game console in advertised as being "Slightly more powerful...TO THE MAX!" When Bart sees he only has the older model, he chucks it into the fireplace. As it melts, it pleads, "Don't destroy me! I can still make you happy! TO THE Maaaa...."
- Spoofed in "Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie": "Kids, always recycle... TO THE EXTREME!!"
- Centurions: "POWERRRR EXTREME-REME-REEME-REEME"
- The line "Zany to the max" from the Animaniacs theme song pretty much denotes what happens in the show.
- "Poot'n on NEPTR to the max!"
- "Well, let's go cheer her up! TO THE MAX!"