of Castle Terribel
and all the people who live there.
Chief among them Mansemat Cthonique
, his wife Viviane du Lac
, his brother and sister Nisrioch
and Morgaine Cthonique
, his daughter Malina
, and his moody stepdaughter, Elaine du Lac
. Despite being a Dark Lord of the Lands of Night who is raising a huge army to one day spread terror and vengeance in the Lands of Light, Mansemat is a fairly nice guy
who really loves his family
and tries to do well by people
Of course, it's possible the entire "Dark Lord" thing isn't quite what it looks like...
This provides examples of:
- Authority in Name Only: Morgaine has a tendency to call herself the "Queen/Mistress of the Netherworld". As yet, there's no evidence that this appellation has any formal basis. Or is even an actual title.
- Axe Crazy: Falerina. To put it mildly...
- Badass Family: The Cthoniques. Sort of.
- Cultured Badass: Nisrioch Cthonique, who loves to make hats and drink tea, and is apparently one of the most powerful wizards in the Lands of Night.
- Curbstomp Battle: Nisrioch against Justinian.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Arguably the main trope of the series.
- Evil Overlord: In theory, this is what the Dark Lords of the Lands of Night are. The truth is a great deal more varied...
- Fantasy Axis of Evil: The Nightfolk. Savage—Ogre/Kizaks/Ghouls, Eldritch—Demons, Humanoids—Most Erls, Fallen—Devs, Crafty—Goblins.
- The Hilarity of Hats: Nisrioch is very fond of hats.
- I Don't Like the Sound of That Place: Subverted. The Lands of Night are full of places with names like 'the Plains of Dread', and the 'Mountains of Sorrow'—that are in fact fairly pleasant.
- Mama Bear: Viviane and Mansemat REALLY don't like it when people threaten their kids...
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Mansemat's ex-wife Falerina seems to think she was this to him. The truth is just a bit different...
- Master Swordsman: Several, most prominently Mansemat Cthonique himself.
- Posthumous Character: Quite a few, with Shaddad Cthonique, the Cthonique siblings' father and a more traditional Dark Lord, being perhaps the most prominent.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: The Mansemat/Viviane relationship, in a nutshell.
- Villains Out Shopping: Arguably the other main trope of the series.