drama series based on a series of novels by Kate Atkinson. It takes its name from the first novel in the series, and has also adapted two other books, One Good Turn
and When Will There Be Good News?
, featuring the same characters. It stars Jason Isaacs
as former police inspector turned private investigator Jackson Brodie, his life marred by a failed marriage and family tragedy.
This series contains examples of:
- Cop Boyfriend: A gender-flipped example with Jackson and Louise.
- Fake Nationality: The series is set in Edinburgh, leading to several of the actors affecting Scottish accents.
- Once an Episode: Somehow, Jackson always gets beaten up.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: Amanda Abbington's Scottish accent can slip a bit.
- Parental Incest: The cause of the main case in the first two episodes. Olivia, the little girl who was missing for more than 30 years, was suffocated by her sister Sylvia. Sylvia had noticed the glimpse of intent in their father's eyes, so she killed Olivia in order to spare her the trauma becoming a victim of their father's sexual abuse like she was.
- Scenery Porn: Set in Edinburgh and filmed on location, the show takes full advantage of the stunning backdrops the city has to offer.
- Ship Sinking: Done spectacularly in the second series. Jackson goes on a date with Louise, but calls it off before they eat, lying that he could never love her. Julia then gives birth to a baby which may or may not be Jackson's, but tells him that he's just a friend who helped with the baby.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Reggie of the final story. Jackson's daughter Marlee too.