...But This Is Ridiculous!
A character witnesses a highly unusual phenomenon and compares it to a mundane phenomenon with the phrase "I've heard of [mundane phenomenon], but this is ridiculous!" The first half of the sentence may be varied as necessary, but the second half is consistent, hence the name of the trope. It may take the form of a Visual Pun
or a Literal-Minded
Can also be stated as "This gives [mundane phenomenon] a whole new meaning!"
See also You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!
, which is used in similar contexts. Compare Up to Eleven
Anime and Manga
- Dragon Ball:
- Episode 139, "Rematch" has Yamcha lose miserably against Hero in the World Martial Arts Tournament (who is later revealed to be Kami in disguise), and then socialize with him as though he were an old friend.
: I've heard of losing graciously
, but this is ridiculous.
- Dragon Ball Z:
- Episode 192, "Goku's Decision" has King Kai invoke this when Goku, with no other food around, starts eating the clouds.
King Kai: You know, I've heard of light-tasting food, but this is ridiculous!
- One Piece:
- Episode 128, when Terracotta, Igaram's wife who resembles him greatly, is introduced.
Zoro: I've heard of wives resembling their husbands, but this is too weird.
- Sonic X:
- Episode 15, when one of Eggman's main serving robots comments on Sonic's widespread destruction of the attackers:
Decoe: I have heard of a sonic boom, but this is ridiculous!
- Noises Off...
Frederick: [with glue on his pants] I've heard of people getting *stuck* with the problem, but this is ridiculous!
- Role Models
Martin Gary: [sees Wheeler and Danny having popcorn thrown at them] I've heard of popcorn in the face, but this is ridiculous!
Female couch potato: I've heard of audience participation shows, but this is ridiculous.
- The A-Team
Captain H.M. Murdock: Close that door! I know you're Airborne Rangers, but that was ridiculous!
- The History Boys
Dakin: "You can suck me off next week"? I've heard of a crowded schedule, but this is ridiculous.
- The Thief Lord
Victor: I've heard of growth spurts, but this is ridiculous. I mean, what are you? Your own older brother?
- The Doctor Who serial The Wheel in Space.
[a food dispenser has just produced a number of food cubes]
Jamie McCrimmon: I've heard of a square meal, but this is ridiculous!
- From a Donny & Marie sketch in which Patty Maloney wanted real estate agent Paul Lynde to sell her very small house:
Lynde: I've heard of low overhead, but this is ridiculous!
- From a James Bond sketch on Australian comedy show Fast Forward, James Bond has just shot Oddjob with a trick cigarette that's actually a gun, hitting Oddjob in the heart.
Oddjob: I've heard that passive smoking is dangerous, but this is ridiculous!
- Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode "Lost Continent"
Joel: "Lost Continent"? Well, I lost my keys before, but this is ridiculous.
- The Avengers episode "Small Game for Big Hunters"
John Steed: [someone falls victim to sleeping sickness] Well, I've heard of 40 winks, but this is ridiculous.
- The Bionic Woman episode "The Return of Bigfoot"
Jamie Sommers: [sees Bigfoot] Oh, boy. Steve said you were big, but this is ridiculous.
- There's a scene in a Thunderbirds episode where a drunken guy is standing on the deck of a yacht when Lady Penelope, in fancy dress, drives by in the amphibious FAB1.
Drunken guy: [slurred]
I've heard of Pink Elephants
, but a pink Rolls-Royce at sea driven by Marie Antoinette is ridiculous.
- Power Rangers Operation Overdrive has this with Yellow Ranger Ronny in "The Underwater World", when she and Black Ranger Will are rescued from a trap thanks to the Red Ranger's dump truck Zord…and then dumped out of its bed once they're outside:
Ronny: I've lived in some dumps, but this is ridiculous.
- An episode of Sesame Street had Kermit the Frog looking for a mouse to re-enact the nursery rhyme "Hickory Dickory Dock". (He already has the clock.) After Kermit turns away a few other animals, a horse shows up, determined to do the job. The duck that had been turned away earlier returns to see a clock being smashed under the horse's hooves.
Duck: I've heard of killing time, but this is ridiculous!
- Star Trek: The Original Series, Elaan of Troyius episode.
McCoy, on Petri's stabbing: "Well, I've heard of reluctant brides, but this is ridiculous."
- From the Gilda Radner episode of The Muppet Show, after Dr. Honeydew's glue causes Gilda and Beaker to get stuck together via a piece of exercise equipment:
Radner: I've heard of close friends, but this is ridiculous!
- The Smoking Gun Presents: World's Dumbest Motorheads 4, after the rider of a motorcycle with cow patterned paint flips over.
: I've heard of Cow Tipping
, but this is ridiculous.
- Same show, same episode: a driver steals a fire truck on an airplane tarmac and has a chase with a police car.
Bryan Callen: I've made scenes at airports, but this is ridiculous.
- One episode of Whose Line Is It Anyway? had a game of "Narrate" where Ryan, for some reason, had dressed up in vegetables. Colin eventually remarked in one of the Aside Comments that were a staple of the game:
Colin: I'd heard of salad dressing, but this was crazy!
- Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned
Gabriel Knight: [after finding a pistol in a briefcase] I knew she was packing, but this is ridiculous.
- Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire
You've heard of four-poster beds, but this is ridiculous.
- A variation occurs in a level of Shadow the Hedgehog, by Sonic (who else?):
Dropping bombs and running away? I've heard of road rage, but gimme
- Used non-comedically in the opening of the big snowstorm episode of Arthur. After several moments of demonstrating how bad the storm is, Arthur turns to the audience and says, "I wanted snow, but this is ridiculous..."
- Beany And Cecil: In one episode, Cecil is literally "torn" between the need to save Beany and the need to save his own girlfriend. As his body splits down the middle, one half says, "I've heard of split personality," to which the other half replies, "But this is ridiculous."
- Danger Mouse episode "Ee-Tea!"
Danger Mouse: [sees a flying teapot] Good grief! I've heard of flying saucers, but this is ridiculous!
- In "Custard," when the imprisoned heroes are flooded with the stuff:
DM: Do you think you can manage all that, Penfold?
Penfold: (tucking in) I don't mind seconds, but this is ridiculous!
- Danny Phantom episode "Doctor's Disorders"
Sam: [sees Paulina glowing] Uh, I know she's supposed to have flawless skin, but this is ridiculous.
- From a "Wing Dings" skit on Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines, after Klunk showed Zilly a new way to dry laundry:
Dick Dastardly: I've heard of being caught in a plane's prop wash, but this is ridiculous!
- In the DuckTales episode "The Uncrashable Hindentanic", Launchpad when they are flying through a meteor shower — "I've been on rocky flights before, but this is ridiculous!"
In the episode "The Beagle Boys' Billionaire Club", the Beagles attempt to steal Scrooge's money bin by towing it away with a gigantic tracked vehicle. Scrooge exclaims "I've heard of runaway inflation, but this is ridiculous!"
- Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends
Rubber Chicken: [sees a guy in a cell phone costume running around] I've heard of mobile phones, but this is ridiculous.
- In an episode of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!, Velma gives one of these when at a dance, Shaggy leaves her to dance with Scooby.
Velma: I've been a wallflower before, but this is ridiculous!
- From "What the Hex Going On?", when a table with a crystal ball possessed by the Monster of the Week is flying after them:
Velma: I've heard of flying saucers, but this is silly.
- From "Scooby's Night With A Frozen Fright," as Shaggy has to physically carry Scooby sniffing footprints:
Shaggy: Like, I've heard of holding someone's hand when they're scared, but this is ridiculous!
- On The Cattanooga Cats, Autocat's car plunges into a river in the Motormouse and Autocat cartoon "Soggy to Me":
Autocat: I've heard of a flooded engine, but this is ridiculous!
- The narrator on The Powerpuff Girls says this at one point in the episode "Pee Pee G's".
- Lampshaded in one of the Simpsons Halloween specials, which features a wall of lamenting souls. The soul of Krusty the Clown is among them, and says, "I've heard of a wailing wall... but this is ridiculous!" The other souls momentarily stop lamenting to point out how corny the joke is.
- Totally Spies!
- From "Get Away", not long after Alex discovers that a dreamy surfer named Corey that she fell for was actually a goofy nerd named Morey in a mask:
Alex: I've heard of guys being two-faced, but Morey was ridiculous.
- From "Model Citizens", when the girls have to go undercover as models to investigate recent kidnappings, and find that there's increased security:
Clover: I've heard of fashion police, but this is ridiculous.
- In Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers episode "Catteries Not Included", Dale and Monterey Jack learn that a mysterious force has abducted all of the stray cats from an ally. Dale's big idea is for him and Monterey to wear a very crude cat costume and lure out the abductor;
Monterey Jack: I've nightmares about bein' inside cats, but they were nothing like this!