Their socks are never going to dry.note
"And after that, it gets even better! Festering, stinking marshlands, far as the eye can see!"
A distant cousin of Jungle Japes
and The Lost Woods
, but somewhat more waterlogged.
Swamp levels in games tend to be filled with mosquitoes, gators, and other hostile wildlife
. Sticky mud, which makes movement difficult, is also a common feature, as is quicksand
The amount of water in the area may necessitate platforming if the hero can't swim
, and may even turn the area into a water level
at times if there's enough of it. Alternatively, it may contain Grimy Water
, which is either polluted or full of piranhas. Color schemes will invariably be dull yellows, browns, or greens
in particularly depressing shades.
A Ragin' Cajun
can live here.
See also Swamps Are Evil
and Mucking In The Mud
open/close all folders
- The Frog's marsh in Legend of Kay.
- Lost in Blue 2 and Lost in Blue 3 featured a bit of this...
- There are four prominent swamps in World of Warcraft: The Wetlands (which, for a long time, was the scourge of low-level Alliance players travelling between the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor), Dustwallow Marsh (which inexplicably has several towns, most notably Theramore and its leader, Lady Jaina Proudmoore), Swamp of Sorrows and in Outland you have Zangarmarsh, which overlaps with Fungus Humongous.
- The planet Huta in Star Wars: The Old Republic is a Single-Biome Planet of poluted swampland.
- Bubblegloop Swamp, the Trope Namer, in Banjo-Kazooie. Its entrance lobby can be seen in the lower left corner of this page's image. Tooie features Quagmire and the area outside of Grunty Industries, both industrialized areas full of noxious purple gook inhabited by hungry mutants. Additionally, a stock obstacle in many levels was a swampy area which you couldn't enter, lest you be literally chewed up and spat out by a mutant venus flytrap. What made the obstacle worse was that by all appearances, he enjoyed your taste-he was just spitting you out so he could bite you again later.
- The Donkey Kong Country games had a few examples, like Krem Quay in Donkey Kong Country 2.
- Being a long-running video game franchise, Sonic naturally has examples of this.
- Slightly offbeat platformer Vexx had the Neverglades, which combined aspects of a swampy level with a Temple of Doom.
- Mz. Ruby's voodoo-themed Haiti level in Sly Cooper And The Thievius Raccoonus.
- Boggy Swamp in the first Jak and Daxter game.
- Ratchet & Clank
- Super Mario Galaxy has this in the Bubble Breeze Galaxy, where just touching the grimy water causes Mario's gruesome instant death, as well as various other hostile stuff.
- The marsh in Spyro the Dragon: A Hero's Tail. It's also the first world.
- There's also Spooky Swamp in Spyro: Year of the Dragon and Beast Makers, a whole homeworld of swamp, in the first game.
- Several have appeared throughout the Rayman series, considering that the unique mosquitoes are a fairly iconic part of the Rayman universe... These include "The Dream Forest" in 1, "The Marshes of Awakening", "The Bayou", and the "Sanctuary of Rock and Lava" in 2, and the Bog of Murk in 3.
- Planet Bogad from the Futurama video game. Bonus points for being based off of Dagobah.
- Pretty much the entirety of Pitfall could be considered this.
- The later levels of the first world in the Wii A Boy and His Blob are this, after the first few levels are the Green Hill Zone.
- The Jungle levels in Jett Rocket, which are both jungle-y and swamp-y. Add in a bit of ruins-y and you're good to go.
- Bug!! had Splot. Filled with dangerous enemies (especially the machine-gun snails that were Made of Iron), Death Course sections, insta-kill water, and the swamp worm boss.
- Alisia Dragoon's Stage 2, complete with a froglike abomination for a boss.
- Deep Darkness in EarthBound.
- The Great Marsh in Pastoria and the route west of it in Pokémon Diamond and Pearl. Good luck catching Croagunk and Carnivine. A bit of a That One Level because of your character's tendency to get stuck in deep mud and waste time trying to wiggle out of it.
- Ozette Wetlands in Phantasy Star Zero is this. The actual wetlands are either muddy or rigged with boardwalks to keep your feet (reasonably) dry. It's riddled with electric seals, frogs, giant birds which likely prey on the frogs (and all of them love human flesh equally), and a loli-lovin' octopus.
- Dragon Age: Origins has the Korcari Wilds, the sections of which the player visits consist of swamps dotted with occasional ruins.
- A large amount of the landscape in the Point Lookout expansion for Fallout 3 is swamp and full of swamp creatures like the swampfolk and swamplurks. Swampy.
- Taopo Swamp in Golden Sun: The Lost Age.
- The Swamp of No Hope, Nightshadow Bog and especially The Peat Bog in Everquest II
- Some areas in Titan Quest are swamps. You can find them in Greece, on the banks of the Nile and in China.
- Wizardry VI has an unnamed swamp region, and 8 simply labels its "The Swamp."
- Tramdine Fens in Final Fantasy Tactics A2
- In Inuyasha: Secret of the Cursed Mask There was a swamp to trek through in order to find the wolf demon named Koga...
- The Satorl Marsh in Xenoblade Chronicles plays with this trope. During the day, it's this. At night, the trees light up, and you get to see why it's called "the shimmering marsh."
Shoot Em Up
- One of the more interesting level designs of R-Type Final was Stage 2, which started out as a standard Bubblegloop Swamp. However, if you perform certain actions while fighting the boss, the next playthrough changes the climate of the stage. The stage can dry out, eventually becoming a harsh desert, or flood, eventually becoming a frozen sea. Each version (five in all) has an altered variety or layout of enemies. This is explained in the game's database by the boss' ability to alter the climate and temperature.
Wide Open Sandbox
- One of the ten biomes created by Minecraft's world generator is this. It has flat terrain and shallow pools of water containing lily pads able to support your weight. Edible mushrooms are more common here, and trees are overgrown with vines hanging to the ground.
- As of version 1.4, slimes and witches can spawn in swamps.