(sometimes spelled Brok3n Pix3ls
) was an MST-style video game mockery show on 1up.com that ran from 2006 to 2009. Its longest-lasting and most popular hosts were Seanbaby
, Shane Bettenhousen and Crispin Boyer. Many of the games played were ones that had previously been featured on "Worst Games" lists in Electronic Gaming Monthly or Seanbaby's Web site, and thus the hosts tended to have professional history with some of the games, usually because they had been forced to review them before.
The games ran from So Bad, It's Good
(like Night Trap
) to So Bad, It's Horrible
), along with some games that many consider classics (Altered Beast
The show died off around the same time as EGM did, as 1up.com was bought by UGO Entertainment. It had a brief Spiritual Successor
called Shame Night
Tropes used, called out, or referenced in Broken Pixels
- Actually Pretty Funny: The guys get really into some of the games and enjoy themselves.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: An enemy in Red Steel ends up with his face in his own crotch. When the corpse vanishes offscreen, Crispin reasons that anyone who can achieve auto-fellatio can transcend and become pure energy.
- Author Tract: Cripsin believes the author of the Congo instruction manual made all the animal enemies female as a Take That against an unfaithful ex-wife:
"It may sound cute, but she's a fucking whore like my ex-wife!"
"The spider will fucking nag you to death and then sleep with the guy who cleans the pool."
- Beware the Nice Ones: Crispin, the quiet one, got more foul-mouthed as the show drew to a close.
"I'm going to choke myself with this cord and masturbate..."
- Black Comedy Rape: One of the most common jokes in Wirehead, where they assume that the bad guys rape Wirehead after each failure.
- Corpsing: The camera crew can often be heard laughing in the background.
- Everything Is Trying to Kill You: While playing Bible Adventures:
Seanbaby: God, can you get the seagulls off me? I understand that that guy's a heathen, and he's not following your word, but I know that seagull is yours.
- Seanbaby then tries out a hydraulic springboard that seems specifically designed to dump Miriam in the river.
"Well played, God."
- Exploding Barrels: Taken Up to Eleven in Target: Terror, where the baggage storage of an airport is filled with exploding barrels in a variety of colors. The guys posit that they were all confiscated by travelers.
- Four Point Scale:
Shane: EGM gave this a 2 back when we used to give everything an 8.
- Gone Horribly Right: How the hero in Virtual Hydlide came to be, according to Shane:
Shane: This game was developed in Japan...they needed to hire a white guy to be in the game...and they found one.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: The guys find that the default name in Air Cars is "Fuckchop".
- Mistaken for Gay: As usual, Seanbaby insists that Phil Collins is "the championship level of gay."
- Rage Quit: The presenters get so bored with Spider-Man 3 on the Wii that they beg the director to cut. During Lifeline, Shane gets so fed up with the hero that he lunges, screaming, at the screen.
- Spiritual Successor: Shame Night. It was problematic for several reasons: The hosts were dull and had little chemistry. Instead of superimposing the hosts over the game footage, the show would either cram both into the frame, or keep switching back and forth. Instead of editing episodes down to the funniest ten minutes, entire hours of Shame Night would be uploaded raw to 1up.com. The who production smacked of They Just Didn't Care.
- Stinger: After the credits of some videos.
- Take That: The guys aren't afraid of poking fun at certain people or stuff they don't like in general.
- What Could Have Been: Apparently, Shane revealed in E3 2009 that there were more episodes made which sadly may never see the light of day.