The protagonist pines for the unrequited love of their significant other, only to later have a breakthrough and realize their own self-worth. Sometimes he/she manages to Take A Level In Badass
Anime & Manga
- Scott Pilgrim. Yes, even knowing the series is related with this trope is a spoiler.
- The French film Naissance des pieuvres (Water Lilies). Dumpy, uncool Anne spends most of the movie longing for star swimmer François, who barely deigns to notice her. However, after he comes to her flat in a fit of sexual frustration and uses her for sex she decides he's not worth it and emphatically tells him so by spitting in his mouth when he wants to kiss her. Anne's best friend Marie pines for star synchronised swimmer Floriane, but after a good many things have happened gives up on her as well and returns to her friendship with Anne.
Mythology & Religion
- Played with in Spaced; Tim spends most of the first season pathetically moping about his transparently unfaithful and unworthy girlfriend Sarah. When she wants to get back with him at the end of the season, he's initially elated, but comes to his senses and breaks it off with her for good, and is much happier in the second season as a result.
- On My Name Is Earl, After a misunderstanding, Billie dumped her then-boyfriend, Frank, who was Earl's friend and cellmate. Frank becomes depressed, to the point of attempting suicide, and Earl tries to help him. Eventually, Billie decides to give it another chance after seeing all the stuff Frank was willing to do for her (including posting a nude photo of himself on a billboard), but Earl has found out that Billie basically gave up her dreams and her good self when she started dating Frank Not to mention, Earl has feelings for Billie., so Earl convinces Frank to gently break up with Billie, for both his own sake and for hers.
- In Hawaiian Mythology, there is a Just So Story about why there is a leeward and windward side to (specifically) the Big Island. Pele fell in love with a trickster demigod named Kamapua'a. Sometimes their relationship was happy; other times not so much. In one incident, they got into a terrible domestic dispute. Pele sent her lava out, and Kamapua'a covered Hale'u'mau'mau Crater (her official home) with large fern leaves to suffocate her with her own smoke. When the two lovers realized that their Belligerent Sexual Tension would likely destroy both of them, they called a truce. They called off the relationship for good, and divided the island of Hawai'i in half, with Kamapua'a getting the rainy (but fertile) windward side, and Pele getting the drier and sunnier leeward side.