A Bad Hare Day
A Gentle Giant
bunny who loves nothing better than watching the butterflies is harassed by a gang of nasty little critters, until he's pushed too far
The second short film from the Blender Foundation after Elephants Dream
, made partly to drive development of Blender, an open-source 3-D authoring software package, and partly to showcase its capabilities. The plot is simple but the characters are quite charming and the whole thing is reminiscent of Pixar
shorts of old.
This short is released under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0, and is downloadable here
. Because it's free in all senses, and visually attractive, it's become a standard example clip for showing off what video players can do.
- Adorable Evil Minions: Granted, all three are fuzzy squirrels, but the chinchilla and red squirrel are cuddly and barely count as evil.
- Alliterative Name
- Beware the Nice Ones: Oh yes.
- Big Fun: Buck. As long as he's in a good mood.
- Bullying a Dragon: Somehow, a trio of small animals thought it would be a good idea to torment a giant rabbit.
- Comic Trio: A more serious variant. The flying squirrel comes up with evil schemes, the red squirrel carries them out while acting stupid, and the chinchilla pretty much gets dragged along.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Buck is surprisingly competent when he's mad.
- Cute Is Evil: Who knew that cute-looking rodents would be so evil as to kill two butterflies and bully an innocent bunny For the Evulz?
- Death Trap: Buck creates an entire course of them to teach the trio a lesson.
- The Ditz: The red squirrel.
- Disproportionate Retribution: The squirrel gang's leader deserves what he gets, but the red squirrel and chinchilla seem to take severe beatings for just following it.
- The Dog Bites Back: The Stinger at the end of the show. That bird that the flying squirrel bullied (twice!) does a poop on his head.
- Gentle Giant
- Humiliation Conga: The flying squirrel becomes used as Buck's kite. And gets pooped on by the bird he bullied.
- Jerkass: The flying squirrel.
- Lock and Load Montage
- Kick the Dog: The flying squirrel knocking the bird out of the tree with an acorn. Twice. (The bird gets his revenge)
- Misplaced Wildlife: One of the squirrel trio is a chinchilla.
- Repeat Cut: When the flying squirrel spreads his wings.
- Oh Crap: All villains have their BSOD moments.
- Pretty Butterflies: Purple ones, which Buck likes. And then the squirrel trio had to kill them For the Evulz...
- Rascally Rabbit: Buck may not look the part on first glance, but he can definitely be very cunning when the situation calls for it.
- Save the Villain: Buck saves the flying squirrel from falling onto Spikes Of Doom... then uses the flying squirrel as a kite.
- Screwy Squirrel: The three rodents; the leader is literally a flying squirrel and the red squirrel clearly has some screws loose.
- Shout-Out: To Robin Hood: Several of Buck's traps.
- Slasher Smile: Buck flashes a very nice one to the flying squirrel once he has it in his clutches.
- Spikes Of Doom: One of Buck's Death Traps.
- Terrible Trio: The flying squirrel, red squirrel and chinchilla.
- Big, Thin, Short Trio: The flying squirrel is the short one (not exactly short, but he is the smallest), the red squirrel is the thin one, and the chinchilla is the big one.
- The Stinger
- Took A Level In Bad Ass