Big Brother Is Watching This Index
An index of real life
- Abwehr — German Military intelligence during World War II. For the Nazi Party's intelligence see Gestapo.
- ASIS — Australian intelligence
- ÁVH/ÁVO — "Államvédelmi Hatóság/Osztag" (Authority/Division of State Defense). The Secret Police of Communist Hungary during the Rákosi Era. "Dismantled"(actually renamed and took a lot of chill pills) after the Revolution of 1956
- BND — The German Federal Intelligence Service. Possible one of the least coolest espionage agency in the world, which is not known to have ever done something noteworthy.
- BOSS — The Bureau of State Security, the name of the South African Apartheid Government's intelligence service from 1966 to 1970.
- CCB — The Civil Cooperation Bureau. Another Apartheid South African intelligence agency, this one specialised in disinformation, psyops and assassinations.
- CIA — Central Intelligence Agency. American civilian intelligence.
- CNI — Centro Nacional de Inteligencia (National Intelligence Center), the Spanish official intelligence agency and successor of the CESID.
- CSIS — The Canadian Security Intelligence Service. Its headquarters are located at 1941 Ogilvie Road.
- DGSE and DST — The French equivalent of the CIA and FBI (but also for counter-espionage inside the French territory), respectively. Both merged as the DCRI ("daquiri?") in 2008. The former was once known as the Deuxieme Bureau.
- DIA — Defense Intelligence Agency. American military intelligence.
- Emniyet — Turkish counterpart to the FBI in World War II.
- FBI — Federal Bureau of Investigation. US Federal Government police and counterintelligence.
- FSB — Federalnaya Sluzhba Bezopasnosti (Federal Security Service) - modern Russian counter-intelligence, counter-terrorist and Secret Police service.
- GCHQ — The UK's agency for Signals intelligence.
- Gestapo — The Nazi party's very own Secret Police.
- GRU — Soviet/Russian Military Intelligence.
- 国家安全部 — Guójiā Ānquán Bů, or Guóānbů (Ministry of State Security). The internal security and foreign intelligence service of the People's Republic of China.
- Indian Political Service — Intelligence service of The Raj in the days of The British Empire and still around in modern India as its internal intelligence apparatus under the name Intelligence Bureau.
- ISI — The Directorate of Inter-Services Intelligence of Pakistan, which handles intelligence for all three branches of their armed forces. Came under intense scrutiny following the death of a certain terrorist mastermind. That's all we know.
- Actually, the three services have their own Agencies and their is a domestic spy agency as well. The ISI handles foreign intelligence work.
- Moscow Centre — Otherwise known as the KGB, Komityet Gosudarstvyennoy Bezopasnosti (Committee for State Security).
- MI-5 — Officially, the Security Service. Deals with internal security and counter-intelligence in the UK.
- MI-6 — Officially, the Secret Intelligence Service (SIS). The external intelligence agency for the United Kingdom.
- MIT - Milli İstikbahrat Teşkilatı (National Intelligence Organisation) - The present-day Turkish counterpart of the NSA or CIA. During more turbulent times, it also dabbled in being the Secret Police and occasionally used paramilitaries of various affiliations to get things done.
- Mossad — Israeli counterpart of the CIA.
- NSA — U.S. National Security Agency. Responsible for communications security, codebreaking, and cryptography in general.
- NKVD (People's Commissariat for Internal Affairs) — the predecessor to KGB, Soviet Stalinist-era State Sec.
- Okhrana — Tsarist era Russian Secret Police.
- OSS — American Precursor to the CIA during World War II.
- RAW — The Research and Analysis Wing is present-day India's external intelligence agency.
- SOE — Special Operations Executive: British liaison to La Résistance during World War II.
- The Stasi — Common name for the Ministerium für Staatssicherheit (Ministry for State Security), the Secret Police of East Germany.
- SVR — Sluzhba Vneshnei Razvedki (Foreign Intelligence Service) - modern Russian intelligence service. Another contender for the title of "the least cool espionage agency".
- SSIS — State Security Investigations Service, usually just "State Security", the internal intelligence agency (read: secret police) of Mubarak-era Egypt. Famous for having Stasi-level infiltration/mass surveillance in a country five times the size of East Germany. Officially dissolved after the Revolution of 2011, but not really.
- UDBA — Uprava Dravne Bezbednosti - Yugoslavia's intelligence service. Stayed alive past the break-up of Yugoslavia, operating in Serbia and Montenegro until 2002.