"Roger Ebert felt Elvira's appearance was worth mentioning in his review, but I suspect he had a minimum word count to meet before his review went to press, and if you’re going to break out the shovel to up the word count, you might as well talk about the chick with the great rack."It could have had great humor, brilliant action sequences, diabolical villains or even philosophical ideas that could make you think. What everyone remembers, however, is the female lead's striptease in the Sweeps one year. Or, in an even more extreme case, a penis when it pops up on screen. This trope refers to the actions of characters rather than characterization. This is the common tendency for fanservice to overshadow everything else about a work, regardless of the amount that actually occurs in it (sometimes the most remembered bit of fanservice actually comes from promotional materials, which don't accurately depict what actually happens in the show). At the extreme end, it becomes All There Is to Know About "The Crying Game"... with boobs. This can be so powerful and effective in Hollywood that the Hollywood Hype Machine will go into overdrive and make an actress who bared all (or most) of herself an instant, overnight household name. Don't laugh—Shannon Elizabeth and Denise Richards got years of movie roles because of this trope thanks to American Pie and Wild Things respectively. At times this effect can become self-perpetuating: the mainstream audience first discovers a work due to its fanservice, and when word starts to spread about it, the fanservice is what newcomers hear about first as well. Ultimately, large portions of the public may end up knowing nothing else about the work. Of course, one person's fanservice is another's Fetish Retardant. This is particularly prominent ("for some reason") any time there's a dude on display in a work with any meaningful proportion of straight men in the audience. But hey, remembered positively or negatively, it's all the same in the end—hype is hype. Such inversions go below all the same. For the more romantic equivalent, see Most Fanfic Writers Are Girls. When viewers watch a show specifically for fanservice, they're Just Here for Godzilla. See also Fanservice Extra and Dancing Bear. One-Scene Wonder is a similar phenomenon, but mostly unrelated. If the fanservice is controversial, the work may be Overshadowed by Controversy. Can result in Audience-Alienating Premise if it's more than just one or a few scenes. See also Signature Scene, which is often this. A subtrope of Never Live It Down. Jiggle Shows rely on this trope for their success, since they heavily rely on Fanservice. Crosses over into Truth in Television, as there are many, many films, TV series and literary works that are known primarily for sex scenes or other suggestiveness and not for their plot, acting, etc. And this often extends to the actors and writers, not all of whom are pleased to be associated forever with a particular scene (see Never Live It Down).
Examples with their own pages:
open/close all folders
- The German materials wholesale chain Hornbach once had a TV commercial that tried to sell wooden ceiling panels with a couple having hot sex in a bed. The German comedian Michael Mittermeier pointed out the flaw of this concept: Nobody remembers the name of the company because nobody has ever been interested in their logo once it pops up, interrupting the sex scene.
"Fuck that company, I wanna see those two shaggers again!"
- The T-Mobile cellphone company had a series of ads in the late 1990's/early-2000's featuring well-known-for-hotness actress Catherine Zeta-Jones. Surveys showed viewers remembered the ads quite well, but typically couldn't recall the nature of the product, let alone which company she was shilling. Notable is the fact that Zeta-Jones wasn't naked or being seductive - just a famous and pretty woman talking about... something.
- Commercials for Fiat automobiles have become notorious for this, with absurd pinup situations like "a scorpion snips off a girl's bikini top with its claw" or "several impossibly gorgeous women do their laundry in a village in colonial America - right after taking it off their own bodies."
- GoDaddy, the web hosting company, is mostly known for running ads featuring female NASCAR driver Danica Patrick, playing up her sex appeal. Some don't even know what the company does! This trope crosses over to Danica herself arguably, since much of her fame comes from her simply being an attractive female NASCAR driver.
- Any famous nude statue or painting. If someone mentions Michelangelo Buonarroti's David, the first thing that comes to mind for many people is not the fact that it portrays him before the battle with Goliath. The statue itself is supposed to be meaningful both in its grasp of human determination to fight oppression and in its portrayal of human anatomy, but all anybody remembers is "naked". There are postcards of his genitals available in Florence's shops, that's how much focus there is on it. His relative lack of... um... endowment is also often brought up, as well as the fact that he is not circumcised, as would have been the Jewish practice.
- In-Universe, Jade lampshaded this in Green Lantern when she laments that everyone saw her spread in Bikini Magazine. (Of course, it's kinda hard to forget a green-skinned babe in a bikini, but that's besides the point.)
- Carol Danvers long time black uniform (which she had to discard when she went from Ms. Marvel to Captain Marvel) is one of the most beloved fan service costumes out there.
- Long before she briefly married Captain Atom, Plastique made her debut in Firestorm issue 7 as a Quebec separatist terrorist with an explosive-laden catsuit. Most memorably, of course, was the way Firestorm defeated her by disintegrating her costume, carrying off her bombs to detonate safely, and undermining her attempted martyrdom and political statement by leaving the hapless villainess standing naked in front of live TV cameras.
- What are the two things everyone remembers about Power Girl?. Yes, her Most Common Superpower is by far her defining trait (the Clevage Window of her costume doesn't help) and every single article about her online or in comics-related media will comment on her chest.
- Secret Six
- What does everyone remember about Nightwing's appearance in the series? That there is a blatant shot of his ass in his very tight uniform The artist even wrote "Hot" when she signed it!
- Similarly, people who aren't familiar with pre-Secret Six Catman mostly know him because of an extended flashback sequence where he's living among lions in the wild without a stitch of clothing on. And once he gets back to civilization he will usually only put on a token pair of pants when not on the job.
- Psylocke. Even leaving aside her years in Marvel UK (pilot, secret agent, dead fiance, killed her brother's Evil Twin when he tried to rape her...), remember those years she spent as the team's primary telepath? How about those two times she took on Sabretooth with nothing but her psychic powers? Nothing? Okay, how about when she got turned into a scantily-clad Asian babe and spent years doing nothing but pose in a leotard?
- Emma Frost and her preference for as skimpy as can be costumes without getting herself arrested.
- Battle Chasers is remembered for three things, and two of them were on Red Monika's chest. (The other, even more unfortunately, was the book's chronic lateness.)
- "Of course Empowered is a good series! It's got a truly courageous female character who highlights the inherent sexism in superhero comics. It does surprising things with its main cast's character development. It's really funny. It's got more bondage and Clothing Damage than you'd think possible to fit in a comic... hey, where are you going?"
- Gen¹³: Everyone remembers Fairchild super legs, and Rainmaker who kissed Fairchild.
- Novas Aventuras De Megaman had rampant nakedness. However, that only started with issue 12 of 16. The comic is now mostly known for this.
- Valkyries, a 2000 AD strip was this in spades. In fact, fans complained that it was nothing but Fanservice. Droid Life parodied this with Valkyries: From The Neck Up.
- Many readers know the Archie Comics only for the beautiful girls drawn by Dan De Carlo, especially Betty and Veronica. There is a reason why they appear so often in bikini or other skimpy outfits..
- All know Vampirella for her iconic Stripperiffic red sling suit. Much like Power Girl, when it was changed, fans protested.
Film – Animated
- The Chipmunk Adventure. The movie is often remembered for the Chipettes. More specifically for their several Panty Shot scenes and when Brittany and Jeanette, in Belly Dancer outfits, have to get past a swarm of snakes charming them singing a song named "Getting Lucky".
- The film El Arca is mostly remembered for Panthy's dance scene. Wasn't it also based on Noah's Ark?
- Disney's The Great Mouse Detective is often remembered for the Big-Lipped Alligator Moment in the Bad-Guy Bar with the lady mouse singer and then flinging off her modest dress and cape to reveal a blue leotard◊ with a feather showgirl skirt.
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame is remembered for a scene where Esmeralda does a makeshift pole dance while performing at the Feast of Fools. It's quite brief but it's sure a memorable part of the film.
- While The Rescuers is a beloved Disney movie, if it's brought up then people are guaranteed to mention that the original print had two frames where a picture of a topless woman was snuck in during the post-production process. Newer versions have edited this out.
- High School D×D is infamous for its gratuitous Fanservice (particularly in the anime adaptation) and a perverted hero who constantly talks about breasts. However, said hero is an Affectionate Parody of Shonen-style protagonists who is genuinely heroic and respectful towards women, and the characters and setting are surprisingly well-developed.
- Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere is a sprawling high fantasy world with the benefit of a veteran writer with several series under his belt, each sharing common themes and concepts throughout their shared universe. Every trope is examined, played with, and ultimately justified. The "Holy Shit!" Quotient is high, the sound track is orgasmic, and the world building is matched only by the sheer amount of characterization. On the other hand, balloon tits.
- The Pet Girl of Sakurasou is almost entirely character drama, Tear Jerker moments, and realistic struggles with life and romance. But most non-fans are only aware of the heavily advertised couple of scenes where a spaced-out girl gets naked. And the title makes the whole thing look like a Harem Series.
- When the female lead of Spice and Wolf first appears, she is stark naked. She's not human, but that can lead people to the wrong conclusions easily enough, and seeing her illustrations (or images from the anime or manga adaptations) without context can lead one to assume that she goes around naked frequently, when in fact she prefers to wear clothes in her human form because she gets cold without her fur. Ironically, despite her reputation, she dresses much more conservatively than most anime women (usually a full-length dress and at least one layer with long sleeves).
- There's a very graphic and deeply disturbing female-on-male rape scene early in the first book of Orcs. It seems that a lot of people stopped reading there.
- D.H. Lawrence is widely known for Lady Chatterley's Lover, and that book is remembered for one specific scene. It could even be argued that the entire book is this trope; it's hardly the author's best work, but it's still the most recognized Lawrence title. Why? The entire book is about sex. In the UK, it's arguably for the fact that it being about sex resulted in an obscenity trial. The jury found the experience to be rather stimulating.
- How NOT to Write a Novel offers three examples for the 'list of ingredients' method of descriptions gone wrong: the living room, the zoo, and the porn studio. Which one does everyone remember? The porn studio.
- Stephen King's It has an infamous sequence where Beverly has sex with each of the other boys. It Makes Sense in Context but because they're only about twelve, it gets a lot of press. For obvious reasons, the TV miniseries left it out.
- Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels tend to avoid or skirt over sex or erotica. However, Thud! has a scene which smacks of genuine contrivance, maybe as a Take That! to fanfic writers who insist on pairing off the most unlikely characters in contrived scenes where they inevitably get off with each other. Sally and Angua end up knee-deep in mud, naked, and squaring off for what could either end up as a cat-fight or something else; Sally subverts either result with a joke about how people might so much want to see this that they'd pay good money for it.
- In-universe it's occasionally noted that most people come to the Ankh-Morpork Royal Art Museum only to see the painting Three Large Pink Women and One Piece of Gauze and nothing else.
- Flowers in the Attic by V. C. Andrews is, to hear both its fans and critics tell it, a story all about a really romantic or incredibly creepy sex scene involving underage Brother–Sister Incest; a rather awkward one that lasts for all of about half a page in a 400+ page paperback. It's a horror novel, people.
- In the Sword of Truth, there are a few examples that stand out above all the others, though there's enough material that most of them don't even stand out.
- The "spirit house" becomes a running gag between Richard and Kahlan.
- Kahlan, leading the D'Harans against the Order, wearing only bodypaint.
- Nicci, riding out against an army with her dress pulled down so nobody would notice her face.
- Nicci, abusing the Maternity spell she cast on Kahlan.
- Denna. But we wish we could forget.
- Discussed in Dave Barry Slept Here, where Annette Funicello is cited as the cultural contributions made by The Mickey Mouse Club:
Annette had a major impact on many us male Baby Boomers, especially the part where she came marching out wearing a T-shirt with her name printed on it, and some of the letters were considerably closer to the camera than others. If you get our drift.
- Ever since Game of Thrones became known as "that show that's like The Lord of the Rings but with Porn and Politics" (which it isn't), A Song of Ice and Fire has become known as an "Adult" "Grim Dark" or "X-rated" fantasy series. It does contain sex scenes, but most of them are PG-13 at worst, and many of them are implied rather than shown. However, judging how some people talk about them, you'd think it's all skin, all humping, all the time. The TV series (which likewise isn't as sexual as people make it out to be) is for the most part more explicit.
- Vatsayana's Kama Sutra is an important Hindu philosophical text that includes detailed discussions about the spiritual components of pleasure and beauty, the challenges of balancing pleasurable living with virtuous behavior, and the elements of healthy human relationships. It also includes several rather graphic discussions of sex. Guess which part most Westerners are aware of? note
- The Satyricon is one of the first novels ever written. It's a funny story, has clever, biting satire of tasteless artists and tacky nouveau-riche folk, as well as being a primary source for how 1st Century AD Romans lived and a record of lost poems and memes of the day through their parodies in the work. However, if you have read it (or heard of it) and you're not a historian, it was probably for the near-constant, incredibly depraved sex in the book.
- Playboy was once credible enough to interview people like Jimmy Carter and Martin Luther King Jr. But the pictures of naked women were what it was best known for, thus spawning an entire trope.
- The Daily Sport is a discontinued British magazine that is now rather infamous for counting down the days until a model could pose topless on her sixteenth birthday.
- One of The Sun's most famous (and infamous) features is its 'Page 3' girls - models who pose fully nude. Plenty of these models go onto become celebrities in their own right because of this.
- Atomic Kitten's "If You Come To Me" is remembered for the music video showing the girls nude with animations of clouds and butterflies on their body. As they were quite modest for a Girl Group, this is one of their only blatant Fanservice videos.
- Lit While the band did have a #1 song for a record breaking 12 weeks, what most people remember about them is that they were Eaten Alive by by a giant, bikini and high heel clad Pamela Anderson after she got tired of them climbing all over her.
- Madonna, especially by the mid-'90s.
- All anyone remembers about house music producer and DJ L'il Louis? That track with the woman having a 'Lady Chatterley crisis' over it.
- All anyone remembers about The Lunacy of Duke Venomania in the Evillious Chronicles is the attractiveness titular character and how he magically brainwashes a harem full of woman he kidnapped into being his sex slaves. And the cameo from Josephine. In fact, it's the best known song in the series for this reason. You'll find few people who know the backstory or emotional themes behind the whole ordeal.
- Nine Inch Nails? They're the 'fuck you like an animal' guys, right? And the guys who made that video where that one guy got naked and then gets tortured by a machine?
- Shakira's most famous lyric is surely the one about having "small and humble" breasts. Oh yeah, and her Hips Don't Lie either.
- Neo-Soul singer D'angelo, got this hard after his "Untitled" music video....
- Benny Benassi's videos. "Satisfaction", for example, was a mocked-up commercial video of women in bikinis using power tools.
- The Dandy Warhols gained a lot of notoriety for keyboardist Zia McCabe playing topless. The number of guys showing up just for that caused her to pretty much stop. And their most famous song? "Bohemian Like You," due to the video with a few seconds each of full frontal nudity from a Wrench Wench and a waiter.
- MTV Brazil has stated that in their country, before Dave Grohl recorded an album with Queens of the Stone Age, they were just the band of that guy who played naked during Rock in Rio.
- Inverted in Lady Gaga's "Telephone". The video is so full of fanservice and Fetish Fuel that it's Best Known for the Sandwich. For poorly explained reasons, Gaga and Beyonce go into roadside cafe, make poisoned sandwiches that kill everyone, and seem pretty pleased with their work.
- Not quite fanservice, but the video clip for Latin band Miranda's song "Ritmo & Decepción" is only remembered by some due to the brief Restart cameo.
- Rapper Petey Pablo had a video called Freek-A-Leek. But the only thing people remember from it is the model Esther Baxter aka "Ms. Freek-A-Leek".
- Christina Millian had quite a few music videos early in her career. But the only video people seem to remember is "Dip It Low".
- R&B group H-Town is mostly known for being that trio who danced like raunchy shirtless male strippers and sung Knockin The Boots.
- Everybody remembers the music video for "Here I Go Again" by Whitesnake because it features 1980s hottie Tawny Kitaen writhing around sensuously on the hood of a car. The video became even more famous when viewers discovered that there's a nipple slip that the censors missed (the video was quickly edited to remove the split-second of nudity). This has unfortunately fed the prejudice that Whitesnake's music is automatically stupid, even though they stand as one of the most ambitious and sophisticated pop-metal bands in the history of the genre.
- David Lee Roth once did a cover of The Beach Boys classic "California Girls". The only reason anybody still remembers Roth's version is because the music video featured more girls in bikinis than Cancun during Spring Break.
- Some of the more positive YouTube/Failblog comments regarding the music video for "Dying Naked" by Skelteria were about the Reaper Girl.
- Donna Summer had a decades-long career, yet is best remembered for faking a bunch of orgasms on "Love To Love You Baby."
- While Tiffany (last name Darwish) is still best known as one of the most popular mall singers of the 1980s (she's the redhead, the blonde was Debbie Gibson), she has been singing and recording albums ever since. She released an album in 2000 called "The Color of Silence," which was highly praised and considered one of the best pop albums of the year. However, it wasn't until she did a Contractual Purity-shattering photoshoot for Playboy that she got any mainstream attention to let people know the damn thing existed.
- "Wrecking Ball"? Oh, you mean the music video where Miley Cyrus rides a styrofoam wrecking ball like a tire swing naked? You might also remember her licking the sledgehammer.
- Early 80s UK pop group Bow Wow Wow mixed up punkish energy, surf music and African-inspired beats and had a couple of hits, notably "I Want Candy", but they're still chiefly remembered for the UK cover of their first album ''See Jungle! See Jungle! Go Join Your Gang Yeah, City All Over! Go Ape Crazy!'', which featured the group recreating Edouard Manet's 1863 painting Le Déjeuner sur l’herbe. The original painting features two guys and a girl having a picnic in the forest, except that the guys are fully clothed and the girl is completely naked. On Bow Wow Wow's album cover, the band is having a picnic in the forest, and all the guys in the band are fully clothed except Burmese/English singer Annabella Lwin, who's as naked as the girl in the painting. What makes this arguably Fan Disservice is that she was fourteen when the album came out.note
- In This Moment is "that one metal band where the singer is a blonde Ms. Fanservice who dresses up constantly" for many people.
- The music video of "First It Giveth" by Queens of the Stone Age famously features then-bassist Nick Oliveri parading completely naked on-stage during snippets of the video showing them playing at Glastonbury and on the US Tour with the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Of course, it is mostly seen as Fan Disservice to most viewers while simultaneously regarded as hilarious.
- It's usually the raison d'etre of most attractive female wrestlers to avoid this trope in the modern era, especially since, during the late 90s and Turn of the Millennium, a large portion of women hired by WWE were models with no wrestling background, and failed to make any lasting impact other than being attractive. Trish Stratus turned down offers to pose for Playboy, knowing that would be the only thing she'd be remembered for. Lita likewise turned down the magazine due to a combination of this and the fact that she was known as an icon for young girls of the time, with many of the new generation of women wrestlers citing her and/or Trish as their idols. Cameron likewise decided against getting breast implants for this reason.
- Stacy Keibler, who voluntarily turned down a title run for admitted lack of wrestling skills and is best known for her 42" legs.
- Torrie Wilson. She never held a title though she would have been the inaugural Diva's Champion had she not retired or did anything too important in the ring other than walking around in belly shirts and thong bikinis, something that she seems to regret. Her most memorable storyline is the one with Dawn Marie - that involved a gratuitous kissing scene (that most of the roster crowded around to watch).
- Melina plays with this. She debuted as a Ms. Fanservice valet to MNM and many fans assumed she was yet another Diva Search girl - not realizing she'd actually trained to wrestle on the indies. She eventually broke out on her own and became a 3-time Women's Champion - and is beloved for her wrestling by many fans. But the one thing everyone remembers about her is that she does the splits on the ring apron for her entrance, especially the ones she did early on as a valet, as she did those while wearling a skirt, resulting in giving the audience a look up her skirt (she wore long pants as a wrestler).
- It's often forgotten that Maryse is actually a two-time Divas' Champion, and was in fact the longest reigning champ before AJ Lee surpassed it (she was later surpassed by Nikki Bella). Maryse's most memorable traits are the hair flip, sexy ring attire and suggestive pin attempts.
- Ashley Massaro either is remembered for her terrible wrestling (as WWE never trained her properly) or for her Playboy cover - specifically the segment where she unveiled it, removing her top to show Playboy bunnies over her nipples.
- "Queen" Sharmell Sullivan is an especially notable subversion in that she neither wrestled nor served up any fanservice (apart from her stint as a Nitro Girl in WCW), but simply worked as a valet for her husband Booker T, got menaced by the male heels and screamed a lot. This was because she was injured early in her career. The infamous match with Jenna Morasca, who had a slutty Stripperiffic attire and was one of, if not, the worst celebrities ever to try their hand in wrestling did not help matters with Sharmell.
- Kelly Kelly was still remembered for her initial 'Kelly's Expose' gimmick where she did a striptease on ECW. The gimmick didn't last that long and Kelly spent far more time as a Damsel in Distress than Ms. Fanservice. She was portrayed as more of a Girl Next Door from the PG switch onwards, but the stripteasing is what she was remembered for.
- Brooke Adams is not particularly bad in the ring, but most people only like her because she's hot and has a fantastic ass. She seems to be well aware of this and incorporates her ass into many of her moves in the ring.
- Fully Loaded 1998 is the PPV that has the infamous bikini contest between Jacqueline and Sable where Sable revealed her bare chest with hand print pasties on. It's one of the most remembered moments of the Attitude Era, and one of the most memorable of Sable's career.
- Armageddon 1999 is remembered for two things: the first is Stephanie McMahon turning heel to become a power couple with Triple H. The second is Miss Kitty dropping her top after winning the Women's Championship - the first time there had ever been full intentional nudity on the company's national TV.
- The Beautiful People in TNA were primarily remembered for their Les Yay ring entrance - by shaking their asses as they entered the ring and eventually teasing a kiss. Angelina Love, Madison Rayne and Velvet Sky are all multiple time Knockouts Champions, but the entrance is usually the first thing that comes to mind.
- Despite Candice Michelle being the only female to be named "Most Improved Wrestler of the Year" by Pro Wrestling Illustrated, her wrestling career ended shortly after several injuries derailed her momentum, so most fans tend to overlook her in-ring work and focus solely on her more fanservice-y moments. The fact that she was also a softcore porn actress, Playboy model and the former Go Daddy girl doesn't help.
- While Mickie James is known for far more than fanservice note and her feud with Trish Stratus was enjoyed and respected by fans, it was filled to the brim with Les Yay moments. Expect fans to always mention either the crotch licknote from their match at WrestleMania 22 or the famous kiss under the mistletoe.
- Terri Runnels wasn't much of a wrestler and served primarily as a manager/valet who walked around in tiny bikinis and shirts that exposed her Underboobs. However, she turned down Playboy because she didn't want to embarrass her daughter.
- Similar to her contemporaries Sable and Terri Tunnels mentioned beforehand, the first thing that comes to mind when mentioning Debra Marshall are her sexy business suits that showcased how buxom she was, sometimes just dropping the subtlety altogether and appearing in a bikini covered with a blazer.
- Madusa (or Alundra Blayze if you prefer) posed for Playboy in her early career because she needed the money, but she refused to have the photos released in order to avoid being this trope. For a while she suffered from a close cousin to this trope, Overshadowed by Controversy, when she dropped the WWF Women's Championship in the trash can on live TV on WCW.
- SHIMMER had a performer called Rayna Von Tosh who only wrestled on four volumes, yet is still remembered to this day. Mainly because her gimmick was that of a burlesque pin-up girl who seductively peeled off her High Class Gloves in her entrance.
- The stable Legacy never accomplished much while they were together, but they're remembered for the metric ton of Ho Yay in all their promos, and the fact that they never seemed to wear pants backstage. Randy Orton used to be best known for taking his shirt off at every opportunity but has since overcome this.
- When it comes to Rusev and Lana, a lot of people tend to forget that Lana is quite a good talker and manager - because they're too busy drooling over the shorts skirts and Blonde Republican Sex Kitten image. This is especially ironic because, apart from the skirts and the fact that she used to tend to do a turn seemingly to show off her body at times, there was nothing particularly sexual about her character until she resurfaced on WWE SmackDown.
- The Bible:
- Mary Magdalene's status as "Prostitute" is firmly ingrained in descriptions of her, despite the fact that she's never once described as such in the Bible itself.
- When "David danced before the Lord", it's often assumed he danced naked. How people got this idea is a bit puzzling considering that the text specifically says he was clothednote .
- David's affair with Bathsheba gets more attention than most of the other events of his reign, probably because it includes the account of David watching Bathsheba bathing on the roof (setting up the Uriah Gambit).
- The book of Song of Songs (aka Song of Solomon) is best known for containing some very racy erotic love poetry, despite many commentators who try to interpret it as theological allegory.
- This is no doubt part of the reason that the story of Samson and Delilah, with several episodes of sexual intrigue, is far better known than the other stories in the Book of Judges.
- Mention the card Elvish Ranger to any Magic: The Gathering fan and prepare to hear about its art featuring an elf woman in a Fur Bikini. Nobody seems to know that the card came with an alternate art version featuring a conservatively-dressed male elf or the other printing with a very conservatively dressed female elf.
- Gwendlyn Di Corci. Players remember the art of a mostly naked woman, but probably don't remember what the card does.
- What most Warhammer 40,000 fans only seem to remember about the Sisters of Battle is that they're an Amazon Brigade in a very male-dominated setting, and that one of their troop options literally wear nothing but three scraps of paper (and a Chainsaw Sword). Also, apparently the Dark Eldar do nothing but rape everything to death. As do Slaanesh worshipers.
- The Sisters of Battle are hit by this particularly bad, since the Repentia (the aforementioned chainsaw-sword wielding girls dressed in paper scraps) have to do so because they commited a sin and thus forfeit their right to wielding Powered Armor and Bolters or Flamers. The other Battle Sisters positively dress in one of the most conceiling examples of female armour of any fictional setting, more often than not with a helmet. On the other hand, the reputation of the Dark Eldar and Slaaneshi as Sense Freaks and Combat Sadomasochists tends to be quite deserved (which is ironic since they're arch enemies).
- Historically, the cancan dance, performed in places such as the Moulin Rouge and the Folies Bergère. The dance was consider a scandal of the time not because of their legs, but because of the open drawers that exposes their hoohas when they do their high kick.
- Equus: That play where Harry Potter is naked. Prior to the 2007 revival with Daniel Radcliffe, shorthand was it had something to do with naked teenagers and a horse.
- The Full Monty: That other musical based on a film where some guys get naked. Which, to be fair, is what it is mostly about anyway...
- Hair: That musical where everyone gets naked. Oh, and some profound stuff about hippie counterculture and sexual revolution of the 1960s, and some rock music too, but mostly that scene. Even though the nudity is optional for that scene and some directors omit it. (Also Oh! Calcutta!.)
- Salome: Richard Strauss's opera in particular is best known for the "Dance of the Seven Veils" (as in, the title character takes them off).
- Frankenstein: That play where, depending on the night, Benedict Cumberbatch or Jonny Lee Miller would open the show naked.
- The stage adaptation of The Graduate: Mrs. Robinson gets naked on stage (actresses in that role have included Anne Archer, Amanda Donahoe, and Linda Gray).
- The Blue Room is that play where Nicole Kidman (or Sigrid Thornton, if you saw it in Australia) appears nude on stage.
- Orpheus in the Underworld by Jacques Offenbach is best known for Act 2, Scene 2 where the lovely ladies in showgirl skirts dance a can-can across the stage. It helps that the tune they dance to not only is the best-known of the entire operetta and is also the one that for most people immediately springs to mind whenever they hear the word "can-can".
- Richard Wagner was no stranger to this.
- Tannhäuser opens inside the Venusberg.
- Das Rheingold opens with the Rhine Maidens frolicking underwater in a scene that scandalized many in the 1870s. One critic referred to it as das Hurenaquarium ("the whores' aquarium"), which angered the husband of one of the singers who had been in that scene so much that he took the critic to court.
- Act 1 of Die Walküre closes with long-separated twins Siegmund and Sieglinde about to have sex, just when (in the words of Wagner's stage instructions) "the curtain falls quickly". Compared to that, even the much-loved "Wotan's farewell and fire magic" at the end of act three faces tough competition.
- The Irish play The Playboy of the Western World caused a scandal and indeed riots over the content. The main source was that the titular character's suspected murder of his father was Played for Laughs. The second was that one character has a line about "a drift of females standing in their shifts".
- The Puppetry of the Penis — "The ancient Australian art of genital origami".
- Tea & Sympathy was remembered for the scandal it caused over two plot elements (both of which were removed in the film adaptation.)
- A teenage boy being caught sunbathing with his gay teacher.
- The female lead (a 30-something coach's wife) unbuttoning her cardigan as she plants a Big Damn Kiss on the aforementioned boy.
- A YouTube video on a channel known as Vlogvetica featured a naked guy walking in the background, for maybe one second, and was never pointed out in the actual video. Guess what every single comment was about.
- For that matter, there are entire YouTube channels out there (seriously, countless numbers of them) dedicated to Fanservice. If they don't feature titillating scenarios created by the site owner, they'll include all manner of Fanservicey scenes from films and television - in some cases, from movies and shows that are terrible or extremely obscure and worth watching only for the fanservice.
- "But You Screw One Goat", the former name of Bestiality Is Depraved, is the punchline of a joke that owes its humor as much if not more to the trope under discussion here than the one that actually bore its name.
- From This Wiki on the Body Paint page at one point:
Troper: I saw an Israeli war movie (forget the name, sorry) that began and ended with a scene showing the protagonist and his girlfriend rubbing paint all over each other while making love. Not sure what this had to do with the rest of the movie.Other troper: Who cares?
- Any sex scene in Survival of the Fittest quite often eclipses the character. Case in point, there's a reason that She Bop (girl on girl rape) is the most infamous thread of V3. So far as characters go, Rosa Fiametta of V4 often gets this treatment, to the point where her characterisation is simplified to just being a sex maniac due to the frequency with which she gets it on.
- The Nostalgia Critic
- He gets kidnapped in The Game Heroes ad. Fangirls completely failed to notice what they were selling, being distracted by the pretty boy getting manhandled and a gun being put to his head.
- The Surf Ninjas review is a Dying Dream episode, with lots of clever Sarcasm Mode, a nice scene where The Other Guy and friends are looking after Critic, and Optimus Prime bringing him back to life by dying for his sins. And what do people remember? "GEEEEEEENIUS!"
- Transformers: Dark of the Moon and Jungle 2 Jungle reviews...? Oh! They're the ones where Doug just shows off the epic job his wife did on messing up his neck, right?
- From the way TGWTG fandom tells it, you'd think the whole eighteen minutes of the Sonic movie was just Doug Walker getting abused and then made to kneel.
- Probably the most popular gif from Ask That Guy with the Glasses is Doug giving a blowjob to the pipe.
- Kakos Industries is a show placed in an interesting alternate, and much sexier, setting of the real world where being Evil is the norm of society. The characters are interesting, the music is catchy, and the writing is full of humor and fast wit...But who cares when the main narrator's voice sounds like smooth, delicious honey glazing over your virgin ear canals.
- The Lizzie Bennet Diaries:
- One of the most popular episodes of Avatar: The Last Airbender is the Beach Episode where Zuko, Ty Lee, Mai, and Azula all wear swimsuits. It also has a lot of character development, character insight, and some Les Yay between Ty Lee and Azula but the "swimsuit" part definitely stands out.
- A Kind of Magic is a very obscure French cartoon and probably the only thing that is remembered of this show are the exaggerated Hartman Hips of Willow (an humanoid fairy).
- The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes!: The Season 1 episode "The Casket of Ancient Winters" is primarily remembered for a brief scene at a poolside with Hawkeye in swimming trunks, and the very busty Wasp in a bikini. Also Hulk, but he's always shirtless.
- A weird example when it comes to Ben 10: Ultimate Alien, in that this isn't a fan's, but a writer's point of view. Most fans remember Aggregor as a Magnificent Bastard and the most competent villain in the show (if a bit of an Anti Climax Boss toward the end). When asked about his opinion of the character and the reason he doesn't want to bring him back in Ben 10: Omniverse, however, Derrick J. Wyatt's answer usually is to complain about the fact the character doesn't wear a shirt.
- BoJack Horseman parodies this when Jessica Biel guest stars As Herself. When no one knows her from the movies she lists, she grudgingly references the time she posed topless for Rolling Stone magazine at age seventeen. Everyone remembers that.
- Possibly due to it being female geared, many men mainly remember Braceface for the Breast Expansion episode.
- One of the more notable CatDog episodes is the extreme muscle growth episode "Pumped". It's most likely the only episode non-fans can remember off the top of their heads.
- The existence of short series Fish Police is only remembered because it had lots of quite un-cartoonish passionate kissing as well as other content that was considered too risque for children's TV. It was also remembered as one of the early competitors of The Simpsons (along with Family Dog and Capitol Critters—a Simpsons Halloween special even had a sight gag that showed those three shows on tombstones) that got canceled due to all three shows being critical and ratings disasters (though gaining cult followings years after being taken off the air).
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (1983) was a successful children's cartoon in the '80s. What do people talk about to this day? The homosexual undertones.
- Inner Workings, a short film airing alongside Moana, became famous overnight for the character of the cute sunglasses salesgirl the protagonist is infatuated with and her extremely generous set of Hartman Hips.
- The Modifyers only aired a half episode pilot before it was rejected. The only reason most people know it even existed is because of the unofficial porn parody of it, which has spawned loads of hentai fanart of Xero.
- Not in My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic itself, but part of the show's infamy comes from the sheer volume of Rule 34 artwork there is of it. The Brony fandom is often associated entirely with that kind of artwork, even though it's only a small section of the fanbase.
- The Spaceballs animated series was largely disliked except for all the women with oversized breasts.
- Sym-Bionic Titan's memorable characters, great animation, and plethora of catchy music are sadly far out-shined for most by Kimmie's infamous ass dance in episode 10. Say it with us now: SHAKE IT, BAKE IT, BOOTY QUAKE IT!
- Time Squad: Today's fans enjoy talking for hours on end on how fabulously gay Larry 3000 was and the blatant homosexual innuendo that revolved around the series entirely.
- From the way people discuss Totally Spies! you would think it's nothing but pandering to every fetish possible.
- X-Men: Evolution has an episode called "Walk on the Wild Side" - where all the X-girls and Boom Boom form a vigilante crime fighting gang. What's most well-known is the sexy black leather outfits the five of them wear as the 'Bayville Sirens' (or else the Big-Lipped Alligator Moment of a song that acts as a Lipstick and Load Montage).
- Pretty much the only thing people know about the La Pavita Pechugona short is the fact that the Turkey protagonist has HUMONGOUS boobs.
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated is a darker and more serious reimagining of the Scooby-Doo franchise well-known amongst fans for its deep lore and characterization... It's also the show with the "Trap of Love" sequence. The song is a double-whammy as it plays both forms of fanservice. On one end, it's a cool new gothic song from the Ensemble Darkhorses The Hex Girls and features Daphne singing. On the other hand, it features Daphne singing in a skimpy, gothic outfit.
- The Furry Fandom has a very similar case to the above mentioned Brony fandom, due to the abundance of yiff artwork on the internet. It gets to the point where the furry fandom is seen as being consisted entirely of furry porn.
- Katrina Darrell was in the auditions of Season 8 of American Idol. This is the infamous "Bikini Girl".
- That American's Greatest Inventor show? The one with the Naughty Knot Lingerie.
- And practically every girl/girl group act who was talentless but hawt on shows like America's Got Talent and the like, where their looks swayed the male judges but not the female one(s). In the first season of America's Got Talent, the first presentation of stripper Michelle L'Amour was especially memorable: judges David Hasselhoff and Piers Morgan had to physically struggle against judge Brandy Norwood not to have their buzzers pressed.
- Bill Clinton was the President of the United States for eight years (1993-2001). The only thing that many people remember about him was his many sex scandals (Paula Jones, Gennifer Flowers, and, most infamous of all, Monica Lewinsky). Parodied on Mock the Week when the panel suggested that then British Prime Minister Gordon Brown should have a sex scandal so that no one would remember his actual policies.
- When Brandi Chastain ripped off her soccer jersey and displayed her (not particularly immodest) sports bra.
- Now name the event, year, and opponent. Winning the 1999 Women's World Cup against the Chinese team.
- Thanks to a combination of this and Small Reference Pools, quite a few people don't remember it was Chastain that actually did this and instead attribute this to Mia Hamm, since she's the only female soccer player a lot of people can name. They don't even remember the person, just the bra.
- Pointed out by MAD in their "50 Worst Things About Sports" issue, listing this and "Anna Kournikova panty shots" as the only things that will ever be remembered about female athletes.
- And now we can add the Venus and Serena Williams in tennis; they're either known as those two Amazonian Beauty tennis sisters, or the ones that mainstreamed loud, aggressive, yet unexpectedly passionate sounding grunts and shouts to the sport. Nevermind that for the better part of a decade they were indisputably the #1 and #2 tennis players in the world, only trading the spot back and forth between each other, and almost unbeatable as a doubles team.
- Another example is Michelle Jenneke's pre-race dancing. People remember that who couldn't tell you her name, nationality, the event she was racing in, and the outcome of the race. (Jenneke's Australian and she was racing in the 100 meter hurdles race at the 2012 World Junior Championships in Athletics in Barcelona, Spain. She finished in fifth place and American Morgan Snow won the event.)
- Any and all "sex tapes" scandals. Whether or not the person is at all notable is irrelevant, as is the fact that it is indistinguishable from amateur porn, famous people having sex is clearly interesting. Most notably, Paris Hilton basically built an entire career using this trope.
- Kim Kardashian, whilst she built the majority of her career on a sex tape with singer Ray J, is basically the epitome of Ms. Fanservice. Does anyone actually have any idea what she does? More to the point, does anyone care?
- The Los Angeles debuts of Four Weddings and a Funeral was going to be Hugh Grant's big debut in America. However, his girlfriend, unknown actress Elizabeth Hurley, showed up wearing a Stripperiffic Versace dress held together with giant safety pins.◊ Hurley was on the cover of every fashion and celebrity publication, which both launched her career and made Versace a household name.
- Channing Tatum seems to be heading down this road. While a good actor in his own right, once news leaked that he worked as a male stripper for a year before finding success as an actor, it's all anyone wants to talk about, and although he's capitalizing on it with the movie Magic Mike, it tends to bleed over into his promotion of other movies, like The Vow. Not even the episode of Saturday Night Live he hosted was immune to exploiting this: he admitted it in the monologue, was shirtless in a couple of sketches, and even played a male stripper in the final sketch of the night.
- Similarly screenwriter Diablo Cody has penned many scripts such as Juno, Jennifer's Body and Ricki and the Flash. But one thing everyone remembers about her is that she used to work as a stripper.
- Joe Manganiello has been hit with this so hard there's cultural commentary about it (article contains some potentially-NSFW Magic Mike screenshots.) Between his Walking Shirtless Scene on True Blood and his run as "Big Dick Richie" in Magic Mike, some female bloggers have noticed that almost every appearance he does is less about asking about him or his movie roles and more about the female presenters pawing at him, getting him to take off his shirt, and asking questions like what kind of underwear he wears. They've started to notice (some amused, some a little more worried) that women have been objectifying him the same way they complain about men objectifying women. For what it's worth, Manganiello himself seemed to get a little frustrated with it after a while, but seems to be a good sport about it, apparently saying at one point he's done all the serious classical theater already and is just having fun at this point.
- In the first 2012 Mexican presidential candidate debate, everyone remembered the former Playboy model that served as an aide in the debate.
- In spite of the number of channels it runs, the variety of movies it shows, and its attempts both past and present to make more mainstream original programming, Cinemax is still mainly remembered for soft core porn and plenty of it - to the point where it's still frequently referred to as "Skinemax".
- Do you remember Dennis Kucinich or anything about his politics when he ran for the 2008 Democratic nomination for the presidency of the United States? How about the six-foot tall redhead 30 years his junior that was his wife?
- Averted by Sylvester Stallone. Most people are not aware that he started as a softcore pornography actor.
- At the APEC 2015 Summit, held in Manila, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto got the attention of the Philippine media and netizens for being the only two handsome men among a bunch of middle aged and older world leaders. They were even dubbed "APEC hotties" by the media, nearly overshadowing the issues being discussed at the summit and those the militant activist groups were protesting outside. Canadians were unsurprised at the attention Trudeau received, but Mexicans were disgusted of the Filipinos fawning over Peña Nieto for his looks, mainly because of Peña Nieto's record-low approval ratings in his native country. As an illustrative comment puts it: "It's like corruption is the new sexy".
- Margot Robbie became a sex symbol almost overnight with her memorable role in The Wolf of Wall Street. People often forget that she's actually quite a gifted actress in addition to her beauty. She parodied this with her cameo in The Big Short - where she appears As Herself to explain complex financial terms... entirely from a bubble bath.
- As noted under the many examples listing her films, Jennifer Connelly was known in the 90s and early 2000s as a Ms. Fanservice - despite getting critical acclaim for most of her roles (critics often said she was too good for her Ms. Fanservice moments). With Requiem for a Dream and A Beautiful Mind, she transcended this trope and earned respect as a serious actress.
- The Pre-Code Era is mainly remembered for all the lewd content in films. Pre-code sex films have their own page on Wikipedia, and each film listed on this wiki's page for that era includes any Fanservice or sexual content.
- Pamela Anderson is the lady with the big boobs. She got a reduction in an attempt to be taken seriously - then quickly realised that wasn't working and got her implants back in.
Waldorf: You know, it's funny, but I don't remember any fanservice in this show.
Statler: At our age, we can barely remember the show at all!
Waldorf: Well thank goodness for that!
Statler: At our age, we can barely remember the show at all!
Waldorf: Well thank goodness for that!