Ben Whishaw, born 1980, is an English actor of stage, movies, and TV. He seems to like playing characters that qualify for Beware The Nice
and/or Quiet Ones
Some of his more well-known roles include:
Tropes partaining to this actor:
- Adorkable: Definitely.
- Dramatic Pause: Probably has driven many an interviewer nuts. He does, however, tend to finish his sentences. Eventually.
- His shyness and manner of speaking have actually been parodied at least once.
- Even the Guys Want Him: And he wants them!
- Geek Physique: Slight and very skinny.
- Happily Married: to Australian composer Mark Bradshaw in August 2012
- Hollywood Nerd: As Q in Skyfall. Funnily enough, this role qualifies as Playing Against Type for him - in real life he doesn't even have a computer.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Rather famously.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Most of his characters aren't bad guys, just Jerks With Hearts of Gold, but Mister Whishaw seems to be very nice indeed.
- Messy Hair: Easily his most distinguishing feature.
- Older Than They Look: Many people who first noticed him in Skyfall were shocked to discover he's in his early thirties.
- The Quiet One: Says this about himself, and just watch some of his interviews.
- Romance on the Set: With now-husband Mark Bradshaw. The pair met during the filming of Bright Star when Ben was playing poet John Keats, known for his highly romantic works, and Mark was writing the swooningly beautiful musical score for same. Cue dreamy sigh.
- Shakespearian Actor: He played Richard II in a BBC 2 production of the play of the same name as part of The Hollow Crown.
- He also played Ariel in a film of The Tempest.
- And Hamlet in a London stage production when he was only twenty-three.
- Shrinking Violet: Seems to be this in interviews and public appearances, but manages to transform himself entirely when on stage or in front of a camera.
- Straight Gay
- Unkempt Beauty: Between films (and in some films).