I love bacon. I mean I really love it. Good American bacon — the crunchy kind, not that flabby stuff you get in other countries. At the risk of offending entire religions and regions, I think much of the unrest in the world is because too many people don't know the joy of bacon. Almost no one who has tasted bacon would willingly blow themselves up or start shooting at someone else. Bacon is worth living for.
There are many addictive foods, like chocolate, cheese
and deep-fried foods
, but when it comes to meat, the pig seems to reign supreme, especially when it comes to those special strips of heaven: bacon.
Bacon isn't healthy, unless you count the cheap substitutes
like soy bacon, turkey bacon or — (shudder) — Canadian baconnote
. The odor of cooking bacon can drive some people to strange behavior with its amazingly addictive qualities
While ham and pork chops also qualify under the trope, only bacon tips the three chief sensors of scientifically proven gustatory pleasure: fattiness, saltiness and sweetness. So bow ye down before bacon, the perfect meat. (Unless you're Muslim
, kosher-keeping Jewish
, Seventh-day Adventist or — God help you — vegetarian
In Britain, feelings towards bacon are similar, except Brits get their bacon from the back of the animal, and it features one piece of loin and one piece of belly combined in the same cut. Ironically, given the page quote, it is actually leaner and healthier than American "streaky" bacon, though not as crunchy (unless you give it a longer fry, which you should). In Europe, bacon is generally cut into cubes and fried as lardons
. In the United States, bacon can be shredded into tiny garnish morsels called "bacon bits".
NOTE: Turkey bacon, while not made from its succulent cousin, is still delicious and a nice alternative for the groups above... except those damn hippie celery chompers
. The same holds true for certain types of beef bacon, particularly when made from plate steak,note
which is even more like the porcine equivalent (having lots of streaky fat that melts and fries the meat, plus anything else you care to put in the pan afterward), although it's rather harder to find (only a few halal and kosher meatpackers make the stuff).
And no, this does not mean addiction to Kevin Bacon
(although who would debate it?), nor is it related to Six Degrees Of Kevin Bacon
, there's a wiki for bacon.
open/close all folders
- TV commercials for Beggin Strips brand of dog treats.
- KFC added bacon to their "Famous Bowl." The infamous Double Down is a bacon and cheese sandwich using fried chicken instead of bread.
- The commercial for Denny's Baconalia (now with more bacon!) features two guys sitting in Dennys and reminiscing about the last time they "celebrated" Baconalia. Their female friend tells them that that was breakfast, prompting replies of, "That doesn't make it any less special" and, "Of course we were here for breakfast."
- Baconalia's desserts like the Maple Bacon Sundae got mocked by Stephen Colbert, who said this was the answer to the long-asked question of "What if we scraped the breakfast dishes into the freezer instead of the garbage?"
- The Bacon Bowl is a thing that allows you to make bowls out of bacon in the oven, microwave or toaster oven. The bowls can be filled with whatever you please, & they can be eaten, too!
- What tops Kevin Bacon made entirely of Bacon? Or Bacon bras, for that matter? Why, it's BACON-FLAVORED MOUTHWASH! Scope Mouthwash that tastes like bacon (No, it doesn't give you bacon breath, you just taste it while your mouth completely cleans)... Sorry, it's an april fools joke. DAMNIT, SCOPE! MAKE IT ALREADY!!!
- Jim Gaffigan bases an entire routine upon his love for bacon.
- Garfield: "I LOVE BACON!!!"
- Zits: "Dad seems a lot happier since they started making bacon-flavoured cholesterol medication."
- In A Song of Ice and Fire, although not technically an addiction, what the Rat Cook does with bacon in one of the most well-known tales of Westeros is definitely something worth noting. Prince and Bacon Pie, anyone? Well, it's kind of an addiction... the tale breeds a noted repeat of the experiment in the shape of three Frey Pies. Revenge: epically brought to you by the power of bacon.
- In the Discworld novels, Sam Vimes' Trademark Favorite Food is a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich. Preferably with as much bacon and as little lettuce and tomato as he can get away with. There's also a brief mention in Unseen Academicals of the perfect bacon sandwich being found in the Cabinet of Curiosity.
- Trademark Favorite Food of the internet
- A meme on Something Awful decrees that all real men must bring nothing but bacon and grandfather clocks on their runs of The Oregon Trail.
- The Straight Dope Message Board not only loves bacon, but it has found something even more wonderful than bacon: the almighty Bacon Salt.
- Uber Entertainment, developers of Monday Night Combat, love bacon.
Uber loves all things bacon, including bacon doughnuts, bacon flavored-mayonnaise, bacon-flavored envelopes. They celebrated finishing the game with bacon-flavored vodka!
- ThinkGeek is extremely fond of bacon. They sell bacon everything. My First Bacon!
- Epic Meal Time believes this trope like More Dakka. You can never have enough bacon.
- Certain Thornfall Alliance units from Hordes have the Bacon! special ability; they heal units in base-to-base contact when they die.
- Averted by Patricia Tannis in Borderlands 2, who claims in her intro that "bacon is for sycophants and products of incest". Her time on Pandora may or may not explain this. Either way, it makes for excellent proof Tannis that isn't right in the head to those new to her.
- In the first game, General Knoxx of the third DLC describes Pandora as smelling like "hemorrhoids wrapped in bacon".
- Commander Keen has the Bean-With-Bacon Rocketship.
- Distorted Travesty has one of the Mac Guffins be a bacon-flavored magical muffin. The protagonists immediately declare it to be the best muffin ever!
- In Dragon Fable, Bacon is one of the Elements and it saves the world in the chapter 1 finale.
- In Dungeons & Dragons Online, in one quest (named I dream of Jeets), you go in the mind of an adventurer to free him from a Lotus-Eater Machine. If you jump down the main platform in a portal, well the DM says it best: "Hidden in the depths of Jeet's mind is... Bacon?". You can summon his ID to fight for you in the Battle in the Center of the Mind if you use the bacon.
- Gears of War
- Gears of War 2: It has a storyline-related achievement parodying this: Better Wrapped in Beacon.
- In 3, a stranded survivor offers to trade a side of bacon for Samantha. Baird urges Cole to take the deal. While that may be Baird being his usual smartass self (he has something of a snarking rivalry with Samantha) Clayton Carmine in the same scene demonstrates a longing for bacon that is referenced later in the game. This actually makes sense in a sad sort of way as humanity's lot has gotten so bad because of the Locust War that simple food products are now a delicacy.
- Halo Wars: The game has an Achievement named 'Everything's Better With Bacon', which was this trope's former name.
- Referenced in Kid Icarus: Uprising, where Hades offhandedly says that Souls are like bacon; they taste good with anything.
- Minecraft players sometimes refer to the pork chops as "bacon".
- In Monday Night Combat, Bacon makes you better at everything, just like in real life (that is, bacon is a rare Random Drop from things' deaths in matches that will boost all of the stats of the player who picks it up in that life).
- Plants vs. Zombies: Crazy Dave loves bacon so much that he's willing to pay 1000 dollars for a single strip. Why would he do that? Because he's craaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaazy!
- Psychonauts: Ford Cruller loves bacon, and Raz can use a strip of it to summon Cruller for advice and hints.
- World of Warcraft: A new cooking quest is called "Everything Is Better With Bacon".
- There's also "Helboar Bacon" a made-from-demon-swine reward from one of the Outland quests, and in the new Mists of Pandaria expansion, one of the Horde sanctuaries has a troll selling Thick-Cut Bacon - which has the label "Extra fresh"... did we mention the troll is standing beside a huge pile of dead pigs?
- In Arthur, Arthur's dog loves bacon. In one episode he even has a dream sequence about it.
- In one episode of Dan VS, Chris claims that he would kill to eat bacon in his own home again. Dan, while glad of the help in his vendetta against the gym, is somewhat appalled by this.
- In The Fairly OddParents there's a popular restaurant called Cake 'N' Bacon.
- Futurama has caffeinated bacon. And baconated grapefruit. 1000 years earlier, caffeinated maple-bacon lollipops had already been invented.
- Invader Zim: "GIR! Why is there BACON IN THE SOAP?" "I made it myself!"
- On Robot and Monster, bacon isn't just a Trademark Favorite Food, it appears to be the only food in the show's universe. Also, it grows on trees.
- The Simpsons
- Homer Simpson loves bacon with everything, including Dagwood-like sandwiches with it.
Homer: Mmmmmmm... unexplained bacon.
- When Homer wanted to get fatter to work at home, Dr. Nick Riviera advised: "Instead of using bread, use PopTarts! Instead of chewing gum, chew bacon!"
- Another incident:
Homer: Now you listen here. You live in my house; you'll do what I tell you and you'll believe what I believe in. Now you butter up your bacon, boy!
Bart: But my heart hurts.
Homer: Bacon up that sausage!
- Homer went ballistic after his local Krusty Burger stopped selling Ribwiches.
Homer: First you took away my Philly Fudgesteak. And then my Bacon Balls. Then my Whatchamachicken. You monster!
- In "I Love Lisa", apparently, bacon has its own day.
Homer: Is it Bacon Day?
- And one time at the Kwik-E-Mart
Okay, Farmer Billy's slow killed bacon, Farmer Billy's bacon fed bacon, Farmer Billys travel bacon. Mr Simpson, if you really want to kill yourself I also sell hand guns
- Two of the characters from Time Squad come from a time where "there are no wars, no pollution, and bacon is good for your heart."
- Atlantis The Lost Empire : Cookie the ship's cook says the four food groups are "beans, bacon, whiskey, and lard."
- Chocolate-covered bacon. Squee or Squick — you decide.
- Bacon ice cream or chocolate-covered bacon ice cream.
- Back when food resources weren't as reliably available, bacon was an important food staple because it has lots of fat, salt and protein, and could keep for a long time without spoiling thanks to the curing process used to make it.
- Supposedly the single food most likely to defeat attempted vegetarians. Like Janeane Garofalo.
- Even cats are better with bacon.
- Bacon sandwiches can cure hangovers since some of the major causes of hangovers are dehydration, alcohol attacking the stomach, and certain protein deficits. The protein and fat (especially the grease, which slows digestion), with a glass of orange juice or water, may not be as fast-acting as the Hideous Hangover Cure, but it's a lot more enjoyable than drinking a glass of raw eggs, Blazing Inferno Hellfire Sauce, and goodness-knows-what-else.
- I would eat a baby if it came with bacon., available in various sizes.
- In 2011, restaurant franchise Denny's held Baconalia, a ten-week event in which they find increasingly creative ways to incorporate bacon into dishes.
- If you can't or won't eat bacon, try eating chipotle peppers mixed with sour cream. The smoking process used to make jalapeno peppers into chipotle peppers makes them taste a bit like smoky, spicy bacon.
- The website Neatorama.com has a whole section of their store devoted to bacon-related products.
- Think Geek has a whole section of their website dedicated to bacon. Geeks love bacon.
- Bacon vodka. Someone makes and sells the stuff on a commercial basis. If vodka isn't your thing, then try infusing your preferred alcohol with bacon.
- In Bellingham, Washington, Rocket Donuts sells a bacon-maple bar.
- Bacon-flavored syrup. It's quite tasty, and goes well with coffee.
- Korea has Samgyeopsal, which is the same cut of pork belly meat, but uncured, and customizable to your liking.
- M.F.K. Fisher gives a recipe from her childhood during WWI for a cake that could be made with bacon grease, to spare a household's butter or margarine ration.
- The Kilroy was here pre-Internet Meme had a Memetic Mutation of saying "Wot, no bacon?" (reflecting the rationing in World War II), instead of "Kilroy was here".
- In 2012, Burger King introduced a bacon sundae.
- The only publicly-known components of Bush's Baked Beans are beans and bacon.
- There are bacon-wrapped hotdogs, bacon-wrapped cheezedogs, bacon-wrapped corndogs... essentially, if it is in weiner-form, it has been wrapped in bacon. Yes, even tofudogs—because it's healthy!
- Two entrepreneurs by the name of Justin and Dave have made a living out of this trope. Their company's slogan is "Everything should taste like bacon".
- The worst thing about soap is that it doesn't leave you smelling like you've been rolling around in an offal gutter all day. No more! For every guy who wanted to go on a date with the refreshing zest that accompanies pig-slaughtering while simultaneously defeating the entire purpose of washing, there is now Bacon Soap!
- You can send your invitation in a bacon-flavoured envelope. You can lick it while your lips are protected by bacon-flavoured lip-balm. If she says yes, you can wear Bacon Shaving Cream and Bacon Cologne and oh, just in case you do get lucky enough to find the perfect woman while on that date - the one who wants to inhale the invigorating scent of freshly prepared pork when porking - Bacon Lubricant!
- Elvis Presley is the world's most famous bacon aficionado. He was taken not only by the tastiness of bacon, but was deprived of it as a child due to his family's poverty. All his favorite foods contained bacon in some form—most famously, the peanut butter, banana, and bacon sandwich; the Fool's Gold Loaf (peanut butter, jelly, and bacon); and the Monte Cristo (which does not require bacon but inevitably included it when made for the King). He also used to eat bacon on its own as a mid-practice snack.
- Britney Griner is 6'8'' professional basketball player, and she is a total sucker for bacon. It wakes her right up.
- Against all logic, there exists bacon-flavored toothpaste.
- Once upon a time, in Tokyo, Japan, a man walked into a Burger King and ordered a cheeseburger with 1050 strips of bacon on it. They fucking made it for him. The result is a mountain of bacon 2X larger than a mobile phone on a bun. The real kicker? He eats it in one sitting!
- Vat19 sells products like bacon popcorn, bacon lolipops, even bacon soda.
- The existence of chicken fried bacon proves that there's nothing that we can't dredge in batter and deep fry with a side of cream gravy. Fans of it rave about the flavor, even while it offends nutritionists at the Center for Science in the Public Interest.