is a 2005 novel by Meg Cabot
The plot follows Elaine 'Ellie' Harrison, the daughter of two professors who specialize in medieval and Arthurian studies. The family moves to Annapolis, Maryland for a year long sabbatical and Ellie begins High School
at Avalon High. There she meets some of the students like Lance the jock, Jennifer the cheerleader and Will Wagner, the Big Man on Campus
. Ellie begins to bond with Will and gets a crush on him despite him dating Jennifer. Slowly Ellie begins to notice major similarities between the situations at Avalon High to King Arthur
legend. Will is Arthur, Jennifer is Guinevere, Lance is Lancelot and Ellie herself is believed to be Elaine, the Lady of Shalott, a woman who committed suicide after falling in love with Lancelot. She is not the only one to know this as it is revealed her teacher Mr. Morton (aka Merlin) and Will's evil step-brother Marco (who is Mordred) are also clued into the legend. Now Ellie must try to help save Will from Marco and the powers of darkness but how can she if she is just the Lady of Shalott?
A sequel came out as 3 part Manga titled Avalon High: Coronation
Despite being based on the Legend of King Arthur, the series isn't altogether faithful to its source. Many things had to be Bowdlerized or taken out to fit the story in the American high school setting.Disney Channel
has put out a Made-for-TV Movie
Not to be confused with Josh Phillips's 1999 webcomic Avalon
This work provides examples of:
- All Guys Want Cheerleaders: Jennifer
- Alpha Bitch: Subverted with Jennifer who comes off as this the first half of the novel. Once we get to know her she turns out to be more of a Spoiled Sweet along with a Dumb Blonde.
- BFS: The sword Ellie's dad is studying, especially later in the story
- Big Man on Campus: Will
- Brainy Brunette: Will and Ellie.
- The Chosen One
- The Chooser of The One: What Ellie's role ends up being. Really, the main point of the story is all about the Chooser realizing their destiny and in turn, fulfilling their role by helping The Chosen One realize their destiny. In the first story, it is her giving Will the sword and allowing Arthur to finally triumph over Mordred. In the sequel, it's Ellie helping Will finally believe that he is Arthur and accepting it.
- Comforting the Widow: Will's dad to Will's step-mom. Gets worse when you realize that he also pulled a Uriah Gambit and that the affair had been going for years.
- Cool Sword: Double Subversion; The sword being studied by Ellie's father is just a boring old sword. And it's not Excalibur, but it still ends up being pretty cool.
- Dumb Jock: Lance
- Embarrassing First Name: Ellie's opinion of Elaine. Part of why Will goes by his middle name.
- Expy: The whole point. Will is Arthur, Ellie is The Lady of the Lake, Marco is Mordred, Mr. Morton is Merlin, Lance is Lancelot, Jennifer is Guinevere, etc.
- Five-Man Band:
- Foreshadowing: Ellie's love of floating and her backyard swimming pool. Also, she's from Minnesota, "The land of a thousand lakes".
- High School
- High School AU
- King Arthur: Avalon High and its manga sequels are a rehashing of the King Arthur legend in modern times, placing all the reincarnations of the famous mythological figures in high school.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Jennifer
- Lovable Jock: Will and Lance
- Love Triangle: Between Jennifer, Will, and Lance.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Will's Step-Mom reveals that she is in fact his biological mom. Marco does not take it well.
- Meaningful Name: Everyone.
- Somewhat subverted by Ellie and Will. Ellie is a Red Herring, since she's not Elaine of Shalott as everyone thought and William is Will's nickname.
- Mr. Exposition: Mr. Morton
- New Transfer Student: Ellie
- Only the Chosen May Wield: Double Subverted. There's nothing special about the sword, but in Will's hands, it becomes special. Also, in order to work, Ellie/The Lady of the Lake had to give him the sword.
- Pair the Spares: Mr. Morton attempts this with Ellie and Lance. It ends up happening with Will/Ellie and Lance/Jennifer
- Red Herring: Ellie being named Elaine.
- Reincarnation: Again, the whole point
- Not exactly. In the book, according to Mr. Morton, the legend repeats every generation with the students corresponding to the characters of the tales. In the film the characters are Reincarnations according to an old prophecy.
- Shipper on Deck: Mr. Morton for his Ship Mates, Will/Jennifer and Lance/Ellie.
- Single Girl Seeks Most Popular Guy: Ellie arrives and is immediately attracted to Big Man on Campus, Will.
- Spoiled Sweet: Jennifer
- Those Two Guys: Ellie's friends Stacy and Liz
- Tomboyish Ponytail: Ellie
- The Uriah Gambit: Will's father apparently pulled this so he could begin Comforting the Widow.
The movie provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Allie
- Adaptation Induced Plot Hole : Making Ellie 'Arthur'. Traditionally Arthur was at least attracted to Guinevere, even if he didn't love her. Shouldn't Ellie have a crush on Jennifer?
- The fact that heroes are all reincarnations may give them the freedom to pick and chose who they have feelings for.
- Black Best Friend: Lance is black and the best friend of the idealized Will.
- Deadpan Snarker: Miles
- Heroes Want Redheads: In the movie Jennifer is portrayed by a redhead.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: Cassie Blake is Allie, Mason Greyback is Will and Alexis Castle is Jennifer.
- Hope Spot: After Marco decks Mordred it looks like it's all over and everyone is safe, wrong! Mordred proceeds to get his Villainous Second Wind.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping: The actor who played Will in the movie is from England. His accent shows through quite a bit.
- Meaningful Name: Allie Pennington...sounds a lot like Arthur Penndragon
- Prophecy Twist: Arthur was reborn in the modern world, but as a young girl. Surprise!
- Red Herring: Will in the movie, as it's Ellie/Allie who's Arthur, not him.
- Reincarnation: Unlike the book, the characters in the film appear to be direct reincarnations of there past counterparts.
- Allie Pennington = King Arthur
- Miles = Merlin
- Lance = Lancelot
- Jeniffer = Guinevere
- Mr. Moore = Mordred
- Reverse Mole: Marco, in the movie
- Sarcastic Devotee: Miles to Allie... and everyone else.
- She Is the King: Mr. Moore thought she might have been the lady of the lake, but didn't really consider that she might be King Authur. And yet, here we are.