Valerie. Vera. Vanessa. Veronica. Violet. Vivian. Verbena. Velma. Virginia. Victor.
Something about the V's
serve to make names sexier. They're also fairly unusual, which is probably part of it. As a result, a woman with a V name in a work is often a hint that she's supposed to be the alluring one. Betty and Veronica
have those names for a reason. Bonus points
if the first and last name of the character both start with V
, but not necessarily; names like Victor, Vincent, Vernon, Vergil
can come off as this as well.
Avoid real life examples unless it's a stage name or otherwise invokes this trope; someone good looking happening to have a name starting with V isn't good enough.
Anime and Manga
- Veronica from Franken Fran is a subversion: while she is cute, many people in-universe consider her creepy, due to being an Artificial Human.
- Veronica Corningstone from Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy was like this. She arrives at the news station and all the men completely lose it.
- The first Batman movie of the modern era uses Vicki Vale as the love interest.
- Velma and Veronica Kelly from Chicago aim for the sultry jazz girl image. And succeed.
- A famous male example is Vincent Vega from Pulp Fiction, played by John Travolta.
- Vesper Lynd from Casino Royale, played at her alluring best by Eva Green.
- Violet from the movie Ultraviolet, played by Mila Jovovich
- Vivian from Legally Blonde may or may not be an example. She's portrayed as stuffy and not particularly sensual, but on the other hand Warner leaves Elle for her and she is played by Selma Blair
- Many of Adam Sandler's love interests in his films have alliterative names starting with V. Veronica Vaughn in Billy Madison, Virginia Venit in Happy Gilmore, and Vicki Vallencourt in The Waterboy are the best examples. Big Daddy has a "Vanessa"; while she is not the female lead, she is visibly sexier than the woman Adam winds up with.
- Violet Bick, Bedford Falls' resident flirt, in It's a Wonderful Life.
- Violet from film Bound (1996).
- Vendice Partners from Absolute Beginners is played by DAVID BOWIE. Enough said.
- Vivian, the Hooker with a Heart of Gold from Pretty Woman
- Played with in regards to Viktor Krum from Harry Potter. He's an international Quidditch player, which makes all the girls at Hogwarts swoon over him, but he's also described as not especially attractive, and spends a good deal of time in the library.
- Vincent Crabbe is a definite aversion because he is obese and ugly.
- There is a fair chance that Fleur and Bill's daughter Victoire is this, considering that her mother is said to be extremely attractive, her father implied to be handsome, and she is 1/8 Veela (and Veela are known for their otherworldly beauty... and their species name also starts with V).
- Vittoria Vetra from Dan Brown's Angels & Demons. The sexy Italian yoga master.
- Vesper Lynd from Casino Royale, as mentioned above.
- Conan the Barbarian gives us the pirate queen Valeria.
- Vanessa in the Diogenes Club stories. Lampshaded in "You Don't Have To Be Mad..." where she goes undercover as Vanessa Vail, and the Pleasant Green Centre turns this into "vivacious Veevee".
- Victor Tuglebend/Marachino, the handsome leading man in Moving Pictures.
- Vivian Regan in The Big Sleep.
- In the first Bridget Jones book, Bridget lived in an apartment block with a very gorgeous woman named Vanessa.
- Vanessa from the Fablehaven series is described in universe as "smoking-hot."
- Vicky from Vicky Angel by Jacqueline Wilson was very attractive and popular when she was alive.
- Vida in Richard Brautigan's The Abortion: An Historical Romance 1966, who is described as the World's Most Beautiful Woman.
- Tower of God: Jyu Viole Grace, Twentyfifth Baam's new identity.
- The Roman Love Goddess Venus.
- One name for the Lady of the Lake in Arthurian legend is Viviane. Obviously she isn't really "sexy" in a traditional sense (in most interpretations anyway), but is mysterious and powerful, and the name adds to that.
- Merlin's apprentice is also sometimes referred to as Vivaine or Nivian, and she's a rather more sexualized figure.
- Veronica Reed from Questionable Content is a kink model under the name Veronica Vance.
- Valerie from Sluggy Freelance is certainly drawn to look fairly sexy, and is Torg's first real love interest. And she's a vampire to boot.
- Vanessa, codename Vox, of the Whateley Universe. Girlfriend of Phase, and regarded as one of the hot freshman girls at Superhero School Whateley Academy. To top it off, she's a Siren.
- Veronica Varlow of Emilie Autumn's backup band. She's also known as The Naughty Veronica; she used to be a pinup model and a burlesque actress.
- The name "Vanessa" was coined by Jonathan Swift (of Gullivers Travels fame) to refer to his longtime lover, Esther Vanhomrigh. Trope Maker?
- Not a person, but the Victoria's Secret lingerie company certainly.
- Sultry 1940s actress Veronica Lake, who was a popular pin-up girl. Her birth name was Constance Frances Marie Ockelman.
- A "venus" (named after the aforementioned Roman Love Goddess) is an artistic portrayal of a beautiful nude woman. For example, the Venus de Milo.