No. 35 on the "50 Greatest Cartoons" list
, "Ali Baba Bunny"
is a 1957 Merrie Melodies
short (directed by Chuck Jones
) involving Bugs Bunny
and Daffy Duck
as they wind up inside the cave from "Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves
" after taking a Wrong Turn at Albuquerque
. Daffy's greed
gets the best of him when he sees the cave's treasure, and lands him in hot water with the cave's guard, Hassan. Bugs does his best to extricate Daffy from his troubles, despite Daffy's continual backstabbing attempts to seize all the treasure for himself.
It has also earned a position on The 100 Greatest Looney Tunes
Tropes Employed in "Ali Baba Bunny" Include:
- Arabian Nights Days
- Catch Phrase: HASSAN, CHOP!
- Genie in a Bottle: Discovered when Daffy tries to polish up an old lamp for a quick four bits. He angers the genie who zaps and shrinks him.
- Bugs disguises himself as one before.
- Gold Fever: It's mine, y'unnerstand, mine! Get back in there! Go go go! Down down down! Miiiiiiine!!
- Hat Damage: Daffy gets his miner's cap chopped neatly in two by a scimitar ...
- Leitmotif: The classic song "We're in the Money" (from the Warner Bros. . musical Gold Diggers of 1933) plays in the background twice in the short. Daffy even sings the ditty to himself at one point.
- Incredible Shrinking Man: Daffy's fate at the end.
- Open Sesame: "Open, sarsaparilla? Open, Saskatchewan? Open, saddle soap?"
- Pooled Funds: Daffy, and then Hassan, dive into the treasure.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: It doesn't work against vengeful genies.
- Tropical Epilogue: Bugs finally makes it to Pismo Beach.
- With Friends Like These...: With as much clear hostility and animosity between Bugs and Daffy, one really has to wonder why they're spending their vacation together.
- Works as a Shout-Out to the Bob Hope / Bing Crosby Road movies?
- Word Schmord: "Consequences schmonsequences, as long as I'm rich."
- Wormsign: How Hassan see's that Bugs and Daffy got in the cave.
- Wrong Turn at Albuquerque: Done by the Trope Namer himself.