is the fourth volume in the Wild Cards
shared universe fiction series, edited by George R. R. Martin. It was published in 1988 and dealt with a world tour, sponsored by the United Nations and the World Health Organization, featuring many of the main characters from the previous novels and introducing new ones.
The stories that make up this book are:
- A Tint of Hatred: The sister of one of Puppetman's victims seeks revenge and gets more than she bargained for.
- From the Journal of Xavier Desmond: A recurring story offering the Mayor of Jokertown's take on recent events.
- Beasts of Burden: The tour's arrival in Haiti sees it meet the terrifying parasite, Ti Malice.
- Blood Rights: Two Guatamalean Aces lead their country in revolution.
- Down by the Nile: Peregrine discovers some shocking news while meeting Egypt's Aces.
- The Teardrop of India: Dr. Tachyon rescues a long imprisoned Ace.
- Down in the Dreamtime: Sewer Jack's niece, Cordelia, meets Wyungare, an Ace with a unique ability.
- Zero Hour: Hiram Worcester is in need of help and an old friend emerges from hiding to deliver it.
- Puppets: An attempted kidnapping sees Hartmann battling for his life and the mind of a deadly new servant.
- Mirrors of the Soul: Dr. Tachyon discovers the Wild Card virus isn't his only legacy on Earth.
- Legends: A former KGB agent and friend of Tachyon's goes into hiding.
This book contains the following tropes: