[[caption-width-right:333:[-[[https://www.politicsforum.org/target/ Mike Reed's Flame Warriors site imagines an Acceptable Target.]]-] ]]
->''"I love hitmen. No matter what you do to them you don't feel bad."''
-->-- '''Marv''', ''ComicBook/SinCity''
Which groups are okay to ridicule, and which ones are not? This can vary by a lot from year to year, from culture to culture, from subculture to subculture, and so on: If a group is listed here, it does ''not'' mean that the group is universally considered an acceptable target, and it most definitely doesn't mean that the group ''should'' be targeted. While these lists might contain some truly legitimate targets, they are on the most part lists of prejudice - real as well as interpreted. In fact, Acceptable Targets are nasty consequences of the stereotypes that flow in our society.
It's also worth noting that in general, [[Main/NationalStereotypes most countries have a particular part or nearby country that they mock]]. For instance, the French usually mock the Americans, while United States locals love to mock the French. The English, Canadians, Australians, and New Zealanders each persist in claiming that the other country [[BestialityIsDepraved has a tradition of sodomizing sheep]], as well as overall national bigotry. There's no particular reason for this, other than thousands of years of wars. And, of course, the fact that the sheep are apparently sluts. The sheep thing shows up between the Scots, Welsh, and northern English and in Italy between continental Italians and Sardinians, too. When in doubt, of course, one can always go for the Russians, who are still depicted as shadowy villains (often puppet masters using some "uncivilized barbarians" as lackeys) despite the Cold War having ended decades ago.
And as is shown by the huge number of groups listed on the pages below, pretty much '''ANY''' person in the world is someone's possible Acceptable Target. It should also be noted that each of these groups are also someone's UnacceptableTarget. That a group is listed here does ''NOT'' automatically mean that it ''should'' be an acceptable target, nor that it should not be: most people can agree that many groups on this list are victims of prejudice and undue ridicule, while other groups may very well deserve what they get. This is NOT a consensus about are which groups are ok to mock but merely a list how various media shows certain groups. Also note that examples are added by all kinds of people and for all kinds of reasons. No consensus will be expressed on these pages.
Due to the ever-increasing size of this article, the many different kinds of acceptable targets have been organized separately for your viewing convenience:
* AcceptableEthnicTargets (mockery of physical appearance or other inborn qualities)
* AcceptableHardLuckTargets (mockery of people who tend to play the ButtMonkey)
* AcceptableHobbyTargets (mockery of... well, hobbies)
* AcceptableLifestyleTargets (a catchall category for the targets we couldn't fit anywhere else)
* AcceptablePoliticalTargets (mockery of civic ideologies)
* AcceptableProfessionalTargets [[BeingGoodSucks (mockery of doing what you have to do every day in order to keep on living)]]
* AcceptableReligiousTargets (mockery of the Supreme Being one does - or doesn't - believe in)
* OnceAcceptableTargets (you'd need a time machine to get away with mocking these groups)
* UnacceptableTargets (actually an inversion of this trope)
Compare KlingonScientistsGetNoRespect, where the target does a valuable job for their PlanetOfHats, but gets no respect because they don't wear the standard hat. See also LoserProtagonist.