The Academy Awards
are a traditional ceremony honoring the best that year in film. The following list is a series of tropes about the Oscars (not officially named as such until 2013) in general:
The envelope, please...
- All There Is to Know About "The Crying Game": Billy Crystal slipped in a few well-timed puns about the surprise twist of this movie during his tenure as the 1993 host. Made all the funnier if you've seen it.
- Black Comedy:
- 1993 ceremony: Billy Crystal mentioning that Walt Disney Pictures bought a hockey team, and then saying he thought up until now that the only "Disney on Ice" was Walt himself (alluding to the urban legend that Walt Disney was encased in a block of ice after his death). Crystal mentioned after that the reason he wore black was so that he could make that joke.
- Forgotten Theme Tune Lyrics: Parodied in one act by Will Ferrell and Jack Black, claiming that the music played to end overly-long speeches actually has lyrics.
- Roger Rabbit Effect: There have been several occasions where animated characters came on stage to present the Best Animated Short Film award, including Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Snow White, Chicken Little and Abby Mallard. There have been a few exceptions though, such as Beavis And Butthead presenting the award for Best Sound Editing and Edna Mode for Best Costume Design.
- Rule of Three: Daniel Day-Lewis has won the Best Actor Oscar three times, a record for any actor. Jack Nicholson and Walter Brenann have also won three Oscars, albeit with two of Nicholson's in the Best Actor category and one for Supporting Actor, while Brennan won all three of his as a Supporting Actor.
- Sound Effect Bleep: When Robin Williams performed "Blame Canada" at the 2000 ceremony, the female backup chorus gasped in order to cover up the word "fuck".