"I implore you. I implore all women on behalf of all men. Do not take the wrongness of masturbation from us!"Most people masturbate, although it's not something you'd bring up in polite conversation. However, it's given quite a different treatment in fiction. Unlike Nobody Poops or No Periods, Period (where the function is simply not mentioned because it would be Nausea Fuel), masturbation in fiction often fits into a few different categories:
— Steve, Coupling
- It's aimed at or about teenagers (usually Played for Laughs) and the character is usually a horny teenage boy, and another character, usually the parents, think that he's masturbating when he is very obviously (or sometimes not so obviously) not.
- The character masturbating is sexually frustrated, disturbed, perverted, or is a nerd/has no social life. When Sex Is Cool and Everybody Has Lots of Sex, masturbating is portrayed as a shameful last resort for losers who can't get laid. Except for those depicting as doing it as one part of a sexual encounter itself, of course.
- It's a military or a prison setting (or a single-sex boarding school). The masturbation here would be explained by the shortage of women (or men), boredom and loneliness.
- Artificial insemination due to lack of partners, incompatible sexual orientation, etc.
- In porn or erotica, it can be used for the sexual titillation of the viewers.
List of masturbation tropes:
- Breaking In Old Habits - A character receives a replacement hand and immediately uses it to masturbate.
- Caught with Your Pants Down - A character is caught masturbating.
- I'll Be in My Bunk - A character who steps off-stage is humorously portrayed as leaving to masturbate.
- Jizzed in My Pants - Yeah, self explanatory.
- Man, I Feel Like a Woman - After a man transforms into a woman, the first thing he does is test his new "equipment".
- Mistaken for Masturbating - Characters think someone is masturbating when they actually aren't.
- Poor Man's Porn - A character gets off to something not strictly intended to be used for that purpose.
- Porn Stash - A character has a personal collection of pornography, and can usually be assumed to use it as an aid to masturbation.
- Self-Abuse - Masturbation is portrayed as bad for you.
(Opening door) Oops! Sorry! When you said you were going on the computer for a while, I just assumed you'd be on TV Tropes!