New Moon is a magazine for budding young feminists, typically ages 8-14. Started by Nancy Gruver, the magazine has been in publication for over ten years
. It includes sections such as Women's Work
, and Body Language
Not to be confused with another New Moon
New Moon provides examples of:
- An Aesop: Lots of them.
- Artistic License - Biology: Try to count how many readers have wrote in saying "I don't believe that my PE teacher said that men are stronger than women! Girls are JUST AS STRONG!" Or in other cases, "Girls are exactly the same as boys except for one more X chromosome!" Ignoring, of course, that boys generally have a naturally higher muscle density than girls; it's not sexist, it's been scientifically proven as fact. Of course, we're dealing with an average here, which of course doesn't mean that any given man is stronger than any given woman, but the point remains the same.
- Averted in Body Language.
- Be Yourself: What the entire magazine is based on.
- Closer to Earth
- Comically Missing the Point: "Howling At The Moon" was meant to be a section about empowering moments of equality; however, many girls will write in about how they did some thing or another better than the boys, and thus have scored one for the female gender, not for equality as a whole.
- The Faceless: What does Luna look like, anyway?
- Fan Fic: Not technically fanfic, per se, but each issue has a fiction section relating to the theme of the month.
- Girls Need Role Models: "Women's Work."
- Political Correctness Gone Mad: Subverted; although the magazine is definitely slanted to the left; as the editors refuse to publish anti-gay letters, this is only to avoid offending certain readers. Averted in Voice Box where girls are allowed to voice their personal opinions on political subjects.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: All men are chauvinist pigs until proven otherwise.
- Real Women Don't Wear Dresses: Some readers cannot grasp the fact that boys and girls are in fact different, and that embracing one's femininity is not necessarily a bad thing. Which is Comically Missing the Point of the magazine, as it is supposed to be about being yourself.
- Naturally, some other readers are rather offput by this kind of attitude.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks: There was an outcry of protest when the publishers started using coloured ink, and then another one when they changed the design.
- You Go Girl: "Howling At The Moon".