Machinima: Team Service Announcement
*random sound effect*
—The statement at the end of every video description.Team Service Announcement
is a series of shorts in Team Fortress 2
, made by "anangrysockpuppet
on Steam), with Source Filmmaker, and hosted on YouTube
. Each video addresses a particular topic about TF 2
's multiplayer, in order to help new players to get better at the game. They cover advice about various tactics, ways to be helpful, when to try different methods, and how to avoid embarrassing deaths. Each one includes a great deal of humor and personality as well. The entire series can be seen here
This series provides examples of:
- All Just a Dream: Compression Blast is just a daydream by the Pyro, hence why his airblast was so powerful.
- Artificial Stupidity: In-universe in Fake Players. All the bots can be told apart by their frequent idiocy, such as running into walls, not seeking health when weak, and using the wrong weapons for the wrong situation.
- Call Back:
- The Cameo:
- FemScout makes an appearance in Pop it, Don't Drop It, dancing with the other BLU folks.
- Several videos include a Medic wearing the Cockfighter and the Marxman.
- Similarly (and coincidentally introduced in the same video as the Medic above), a serious looking Demoman wearing the "Tavish Degroot Experience" will also appear occasionally.
- Combining Mecha: Parodied in Fake Players. Several AI controlled players, i.e. "bots", combine to form a single bot with people for legs and arms.
- Crippling Overspecialization:
- Exaggerated in Class Balance, where the entire BLU team is Snipers (save for a single Medic, who looks ready to leave the server), all of them oblivious to the fact that they're losing the King of the Hill match.
- Demoknights and Battle-Medics: The Demoknight is useless against the Sentry nest, but not against performing a double kill to save the Soldier's life. Battle-Medic, however, is completely useless, and the Soldier rejects him.
- Crucified Hero Shot: The Sniper is seen posing like a crucifix at the end of Cooperative Engineering. This has no relevance to the rest of the video whatsoever.
- Entitled Bastard: In Metal and Dispensers, the RED Soldier causes a ton of trouble for his team's Engineer by wasting the ammo crate during the setup period. Later he dashes to him demanding a dispenser... but the Engineer doesn't feel all that obliged. This ends up turning into a subversion, as not only does the Engineer and the Solider arguing result in them being blown up by the BLU Demoman, but the description points out denying someone a dispenser can be just as bad as wasting ammo others need.
- Failed a Spot Check:
- In Objectives, the spawn camping RED Team fails to notice a lone BLU spy that made it past them. This proves fatal.
- BLU tries their hardest pushing the cart in Body Blocking, failing to notice the RED Spy hiding in front of it who's canceling their efforts.
- All the BLU Snipers in Class Balance don't seem to see the RED Heavy capturing the King of the Hill control point.
- Heck, Attention and Initiative is built around a particularly brutal Double Subversion, because it shows RED Team not responding to any threat to their progress, noticing the problems just in time to help but not actually helping.
- Flanderization: In Unlockable Weapons, the BLU Soldier is a competent if overoptimistic fighter who got cornered by a Scout. In Grenade Launcher he's Too Dumb to Live.
- Flat "What.": In Cooperative Engineering, the Engineer mutters "What..." when he sees that his Sentry is, among other abuse, being danced on by a robot.
- Flipping the Bird: In Pop it, Don't Drop it, the BLU Medic survives an ambush by the entire RED team, by using his Ubercharge just in time. How does he celebrate his survival? By flipping them off. With both hands. While wearing sunglasses. Surrounded by dancing Scouts and Heavies. While "Dreaming a Dream" by Captain Jack plays.
- This pose was later modded as a taunt to replace the "Meet the Medic" taunt. It got so popular that Valve actually increased the price of the MtM taunt because so many people were buying it to replace it.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: One of the Snipers in Class Balance is aiming and shooting his knife.
- Krunkidile is fond of these, it seems. In Over-Extending, while the rest of the BLU team raises their guns to shoot the reckless Soldier, the Demoman raises... his Frying Pan. Also, in Exits and Entrances, Miniham.
- Heroic BSOD: The BLU Medic in Class Balance when witnessing his worst fear come true: his entire team is Snipers.
- Ironic Echo:
- All the BLU Snipers in Class Balance repeatedly mutter "It's like Christmas morning"... as does the RED Spy, because a team of nothing but Snipers is his dream come true.
- The BLUs in Unlockable Weapons express joy in their new weapons... even as just before they turn out to be a bad choice.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: Metal and Dispensers: The RED Engineer refuses to build a Dispenser for his team's Soldier, because he took the ammo crate at the start of the match. While the Soldier was pretty wasteful, the two's squabble results in a BLU Demoman exploding them both.
- Leeroy Jenkins: TF 2 is about teamwork, so this tactic is frequently criticized.
- In Over-Extending and Over-Committing, the poor RED Medic gets dragged into a suicidal charge by the Soldier. This goes as well as you'd expect.
- The BLU Scout in Scout Combat doesn't understand how to run in anything but a straight line.
- All it takes for the Sniper to avoid the W+M1 Pyro is to just move out of the way, and watch him hurl himself off a cliff.
- Leitmotif: "Sneakman" for the BLU Spy.
- Mind Screw: Melee is supposed be about when to use melee weapons, except the Sniper turns into a frog, and the Demoman starts flying...
- It's tame, however, compared to the non-TSA videos Krunkidile makes, which are... pretty out there.
- Mood Whiplash: W+M1 sounds pretty sophisticated with its Spanish music, and seemingly leads up to a huge duel. Then the Pyro splats off a cliff and the Sniper farts at his body.
- More Dakka: Parodied in Pop It, Don't Drop It, where the RED Medic has an automatic crossbow.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero:
- In Ranged Combat, just as the RED Sniper Jarated the BLU Spy, his Heavy, Soldier and Scout teammates all pose as snipers, confusing and scaring off said BLU Spy. Then when the Sniper tried to get a clean kill off the running Spy, his focus got broken by the teammates trying to shoot the Spy with their short range weapons, allowing the Spy to run free. That really pissed the Sniper off(to the point where he eventually slaps all 3 of them at once).
- In Subtlety, the BLU Spy is about to land a backstab on the RED Heavy... only for the BLU Scout to rush forward and start whacking the Heavy with a frying pan. The Heavy is not pleased, and neither was the Spy.
- Offhand Backhand: In Scout Combat, the RED Sniper does this with his sniper rifle because the BLU Scout only knows how to run in straight lines.
- Oh Crap: The RED Team in Objectives when they hear the Administrator announce that the payload is nearly at the final checkpoint. And they're on the other side of the map.
- The Engineer in Sentry Knockback when the Medic blocks his Sentry's gunfire. He doesn't snap out of it.
- The RED Engineers in Building Placement when the Demoman destroys all their sentries... just as BLU Team's cart is about to reach the final checkpoint.
- The BLU Medic in Pop It. Don't Drop It when his Soldier is sniped... and 21 REDs are all about to fire upon him.
- Overly-Long Gag:
- "It's like Christmas morning." *BANG* "It's like Christmas morning." *BANG* "It's like Christmas morning." *BANG*..."
- *Thumbs-Up* *Thumbs-Up* *Thumbs-Up* *Thumbs-Up* *Thumbs-Up* *Thumbs-Up* *Thumbs-Up* *Thumbs-Up* *Thumbs-Up*
- The Heavy spinning up his Brass Beast in Minigun Spinup.
- Precision F-Strike: The Soldier at the end of Medkits sings "That's fucking teamwork!", from Tenacious D.
- Recurring Extra: The Medic with the Cockfighter, Marxman and Crusader's Crossbow. He first appears in Building Placement, then Over-Extending and Over-Committing, has a memorable scene in Pop it, Don't Drop it, and is seen dancing with RED Heavy in Scout Combat.
- Robotic Reveal: In Fake Players, when the BLU Soldier realizes everyone on the server is just a bot, everyone on the map reveals their artificialness and surrounds him.
- Rouge Angles of Satin: The gag in Melee where the Sniper gets turned into a frog was inspired by the comment requesting the video, which said "Oh idea how about when to use each classes melee weapon because they have a higher frog chance than projectile weapons"
Krunkidile: I'm pretty sure by "frog chance," he meant "frag-chance," and by "frag-chance," he meant "crit-chance."
- The Stinger:
- Subtlety replaces the "LEARN" at the end with "ROCK" and shows the Soldier and Demoman jamming on their electric guitars.
- Pop It, Don't Drop it has the Medic dancing by, still flipping off the other team.
- Stock Footage: Grenade Launcher uses pre-filmed footage from Pop It, Don't Drop It and... Godzilla?
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: The BLU Medic gets hit with a barrage powerful enough to dig a hole to the Earth's center, just to make sure he dies. Good thing he Ubercharged in time.
- They Just Didn't Care: Invoked at times. Make a dumb request for a video and constantly nag him about it, and Krunkidile will respond with a horrific monstrosity loosely addressing your topic.
: Deep Serpent Assignments
are not Team Service Announcements. They are what happens when someone suggests an idea for a Team Service Announcement, but says it in a way that makes me want to do it, but not put any effort into it. So I spend an hour barely animating and mixing together six songs and then slap it on YouTube
with a name that voices one of my grievances.
- This Is Gonna Suck: The Engineer can only mutter "Well... darn" when the Spy pulls out his Revolver.
- Too Dumb to Live: The BLU Heavy in Minigun Spinup takes so long to walk anywhere with his revving Brass Beast that the RED Spy and Sniper decide assassinating him is just too easy to be fun. So instead they drive a steamroller over him.
- The BLU Soldier in Grenade Launcher willingly stands on a stickybomb trap, claiming "I got a good feeling about this!"
- Touché: In The Revolver, the Spy responds "...you have done well" when the Engineer doesn't fall for his disguise and just smacks it off.
- Up to Eleven: The series seems fond of this.
- In Cooperative Engineering, the Engineers thumbs up each other, then the rest of their team does, then their enemies, then people not from TF 2...
- Also from that video; the Spy saps the Engineer's Sentry, then begins shooting it, then a Scout starts whacking it with a frying pan, and a robot starts dancing on it...
- In Compression Blast, the Pyro's airblast not only extinguishes the burning Medic, but blows away the Ubered Scouts next to him, creates a massive wind, gives him tons of money, tons of keys, a dancing posse, hot women, fancy cars...
- Class Balance: "Entire team is snipers!"
- Demoknights and Battle-Medics: The Soldier throws a Spy into the Sentry nest, and his mere presence causes all the buildings there to be sapped.
- Grenade Launcher: The Demoman goes from owning all of BLU Team to downing a helicopter to killing Godzilla...
- Metal and Dispensers: The RED Soldier has arrows, spy knives, and kukris sticking out of him, is bleeding, and catches fire.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: The Revolver points this out. If a backstab goes awry, well, the Spy still has a gun.