An unlikely hero... In an unlikely scenario...
This is a unique world, a world of trophies.
Created by Tigura21, Smash King is a Machinima
which is filmed in Super Smash Bros.
Brawl. The world in which the series takes place is generally similar to Brawl, with the same characters, settings and even a similar concept: Loads and Loads of Characters fighting together in a tournament
The series is set shortly after the games characters make the jump from Melee to Brawl. The annual Smash King Tournament
is about to be held. The winner gets the chance to meet God
and is granted one wish. The series begins at a fight between Bowser
. Bowser wins, and Peach agrees to join his team for the upcoming tourney. The story focuses on Bowser's team and Mario's
team as they fight in the tournament, and the story of what really happened during the last few days of Melee is slowly brought to light.
The youTube channel for it can be found here
.Here is a list of the main characters in Smash King.
- Action Girl: Samus and Sheik. Peach tries to be this, but she doesn't always succeed.
- Animesque: Japanese intro/ending songs, Cold Openings, and Eye Catchers? Check, check, and check.
- All There in the Manual: Details about specific moves, events, and characters not mentioned in show can be found in the Bios posted on Tigura's Deviant Art page.
- Anachronic Order: The prequel series Raccanto are released in nonsequential files. So far it's 12, 1, 2, 6, 8, 5.
- Aura Vision: Lucario, much like his game counterpart. Bowser's Aura reinforces Lucario's hostility towards him despite being the reincarnation of Mewtwo, Bowser's friend and fighting mentor in Melee. Later subverted by Fox, who judges people by looking into their eyes. What Lucario sees with 'just plain sight' contradicts Bowser's aura, leading to his Heel-Face Turn. However, at the end of episode 13, it turns out there may have been merit to said aura.
- Axe Crazy: Link is a very dangerous and disturbing example of this, being the only smasher who actually wants to kill people.
- Bad Ass: A lot of the characters are this.
- Battle Aura
- Big Bad: Ganondorf
- Bi the Way: Bowser is this, apparently. He has two love interests and yet dry humps Donkey Kong when he beats him. Twice.
- Three times actually, if you count Racconto (incidentally the FIRST time it happened)
- You can also argue that Mewtwo could be a potential love interest, as shown in Racconto.... especially considering that Bowser literally self-destructed himself in an attempt to be together with Mewtwo in death on the final day of Melee as of Episode 17.
- Butt Monkey: A lot of the minor characters are this, notably Toon Link, Captain Falcon, and Mr. Game and Watch. Subverted with characters like Wario, Dedede, Ike, and Meta Knight, as they can show that they can be serious if they have to.
- Also Captain Falcon, who always misses hitting someone with his Falcon Punch. Until his Heroic Sacrifice anyway
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience
- Continuity Nod: Between actual referencing things in the prequel series, Racconto, and references to each the games each character belong to, there is quite a lot.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Dedede, Lampshaded by Peach and Wario who only fights when he has to.
- Death Seeker: Bowser willingly instigated a fight with Mario at Episode 13/14 for the hope that Peach would be happy with him again.
- Deconstruction: Has some elements of this, especially with Link on how the pressure of being a designated hero can really turn for the worse.
- Word of God says this was an overarching theme of the series, and how it works especially well with Link. Also a subtle Take That to the other machinima cliches, particularly how Link's ALWAYS the hero, ALWAYS saves Zelda, and ALWAYS beats Ganondorf.
- Doing It for the Art: Machinima is never made with profit in mind. Tigura21 also refuses to put Smash King on Machinima.com's YouTube channel, pretty much the only way to actually make money with machinima, due to not wanting to lower the quality of the series by adhering to Machinima.com's rules.
- Easter Egg: Jigglypuff is occasionally seen sleeping somewhere within the world of Brawl, and each episode has one sighting of the Balloon Pokemon. Word of God says the "Jigglypuff Sighting" is like a game of Where's Waldo? and are subliminal messages like what Smashtasm has.
- Evil Laugh: Ganondorf
- Faux Affably Evil: Ganondorf is this.
- Hammer Space: GOLF CLUB ATTACK!
- Heroic Sacrifice: Captain Falcon in Episode 13.
- Heel-Face Turn: Lucario.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: It's not to clear on what side Zelda's on, as she appears to be involved in a lot of dirty business, but seems to want to help everyone.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: Bowser was meant to be contained and de-energized from one of Samus' shots. What it really did was give him so much power he was almost immobile... so he resorted to turning into Giga Bowser, which extended his Ascend Form to THAT as well.
- Hidden Depths: Lots of characters have this, but Link is probably the most memorable.
- Dedede is shown to be perverse, and a bit of a womanizer... But he's also fairly good-hearted, and incredibly perceptive, going into detail about Bowser's fight with Donkey Kong.
- Hilarious Outtakes: As seen here.
- Imagine Spot: Captain Falcon has two of these considering possible outcomes on who wins the race. If he wins, Sonic wears a Falcon uniform and becomes his number two. If Sonic wins, Falcon wears a Sonic uniform and be forced to lick off his shoes like a slave. Sonic is disturbed by both of these.
Sonic: Don't you have any pride for yourself? Or me? ESPECIALLY ME?
- Episode 15 has Wario and Squirtle have one each as well, centered around Bowser. Wario's being Bowser ruling a post-apocalyptic version of Brawl like a tyrant, while Squirtle's is a very cute childish story of him breaking out of his prison and beating up the B.S. Society, minus Pit, before making his escape.
- Insistent Terminology: It's not just Bowser. That's the powerful, the pleasurable, and the respectable King Bowser!
- Kiai: Most notably when Bowser, Sonic and Link go into their Ascent Modes.
- Killed Off for Real: In Melee, Pichu, and Fox. In Brawl, it's subverted, as Fox is back, and Captain Falcon also is revived, but with now memories of what happened.
- Knight of Cerebus: Ganondorf. Every single time he appears, everything starts to go to hell.
- Link as well. Aside from Ganondorf, he became very violent and murderous due to being tired of always being the hero that everyone envsions. And at that point caused the death of one of the characters.
- Legacy Character: Technically the entire cast. Everyone with the possible exceptions of The Creator, Midna, and Shadow is a reincarnation of the specific character they were based on, and are reborn anew when the current incarnation loses his/her 10 life stock.
- Limit Break: Ascent mode.
- Limited Wardrobe: Averted; Word of God points out that the characters wear recolored skins of their costumes from time to time, like how real people would change clothes.
- Mass Super-Empowering Event: In episode 15 Bowser choses to let go of most of the godly power he had gain. This gave everyone in the world (even Ganondorf) a fraction of the Creator's power.
- Minus World: Negative Space, a vast area with nothing but darkness.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: Episode 11 and on likes to throw in more than we're familiar with. Rule of Cool in spades though, so no worries!
- There was a Time Skip after Episode 8, so it would make sense that guys like Ganondorf and Bowser learned a few tricks. Mario's potential also doubled due to a particular sticker given by Roy.
- Noodle Incident: Wario is never allowed to use Bowser's bathroom again. We probably don't need to think too hard on that.
- Out-of-Character Alert: Sort of a subversion; Mario, upon meeting Wario and Meta Knight (and realizing one of him is Bowser's teammates), insists he is a friend of Bowser and needs to take him to Bowser's home to see him. Since they never met prior, they took his warning of Ganondorf at face value. However, Meta Knight caught on the slip-up that he's a friend of Bowser's, yet doesn't know where he lives.
- Power Trio: All contestents in the Smash King Tournament are set up into three man teams.
- The Creator's Triune, consisting of Bowser, Ganondorf and Mewtwo, who were created to be challenges to the other Smashers to help them evolve, and thus were given different attributes for this goal. This is the reason they are so mistreated aswell, as these qualities among other things made the other Smashers start to dub them as villains.
- "Reason You Suck" Speech: Bowser to Ganondorf in episode 13.
You think I don't know? You think I'm not aware of my position here? Why you're so fixed on getting me under your control? Why you keep calling me your "pet"? Your goal is beyond you.
You can't do it without me. Every pretty word, every twisted lie, everything you do is related to me. Because you're too weak
to do it all on your own. But, want to know what's funny about that? You can't do anything about it, even if you wanted to, even with the great powers you have now. You're still the same as you ever were, and always will be...number two
- He gives a two-for-one speech in Racconto File 6 To Mario for spoiling Peach and Peach for wasting her potential.
- Reincarnation: It has been implied that some characters, like Bowser, are actually different from their previous selves over the time of being trophies.
- The Remake: Tigura21 has already remade a few earlier episodes of Smash King. He wanted to fix some of the errors he made before, clear a few unexplained points up, film the scenes in HD, as well as add the new intro and outro. Only episodes 1-7 wil be remade.
- Reset Button: Anyone who exhausts their 10 Life Stock is reincarnated as a blank slate of their original character. All memories and experiences built up are erased.
- The Reveal: The group consisting of Zelda, Snake, Samus, and Wolf was hired by the Creator to capture Bowser, and take him to Him. Bowser, along with Ganondorf and Mewtwo/ Lucario, is one of the Creator's Triune, three beings the Creator made to challenge the other trophies. As a result, the members of the Triune evolve and grow faster than the others, Bowser especially. To this end, Bowser could become as powerful as the Creator. Ganondorf seeks to use Bowser to overthrow the Creator, and remake the world as he sees fit.
- Running Gag: Mario and Bowser manage to keep missing and passing each other, even when they're on the same stage. Until Episode 13 that is.
- Schedule Slip: The Reunion Special, Christmas Special, The double episode release.
- Not to mention Episode 17. Part 1 came out in October of 2013, Part 2 in December 2014, and Part 3 on January 31st, 2015.
- Speaks Fluent Animal: Since Liz doesn't know English, her speech is usually roars. Pokemon, Bowser, and Wolf however can understand her perfectly.
- Split Personality: Meta Knight only has two outfits in the series for this reason: an orange texture, and his normal appearance, The former shows when he's more or less of a Butt Monkey, whereas the latter is how normal Meta Knight would act.
- However, as of the events of Darkness Ascending, his serious personality is more prominant.
- Shout-Out: In episode 13 Bowser uses an attack similar to a Mystic Arte, incantation and all.
- Episode 17, this time referencing [[Machinima/Smashtasm]]:
Bowser: I'm aiming my laser.....IMMA FIRIN' MY LASER! *fires at Diddy Kong and the shot bounces off him and back towards Bowser* OH SHI- *gets knocked off stage* ''.
- Stop Copying Me: Kirby's gimmick; whenever he copies someone's abilities, he imitates their moves and words.
- Stripperiffic: Dedede's Zero Suits.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: Link, though due to characters having a ten life stock outside of the tournament, he has yet to actually kill anyone.
- Bowser dry humping Donkey Kong
- Time Skip: Nearly a month has passed between episodes 8 and 9.
- Took a Level in Badass: Dedede. He is first seen as a Spoiled Brat who cares about nothing but power, food, and girls. But in "Wario: Portrait of a Smasher", he is able to beat up Wario, and in "No More Womyn", he is able to talk some sense back into Peach after she and Bowser have a falling out.
- This shows up after the Time Skip as well, when [[Back-to-Back Badasses: he and Mario work together to fight Ganondorf]].
- Team Falcon finally scoring their first win since the tournament started.
- Wham Line: From Episode 13:
Mario: Bowser was tricking you all along, Peach! He was the one who tried to kill me back in Melee!
Bowser: No... you're not Mewtwo.
Lucario: You are correct. I am Lucario - the real one.
- Wham Episode: Episode 13-15 can all be summed up as this, to say the least.
- Due to everything that has been revealed Episode 17 seems to be the king of Wham.
- Wrong Name Outburst: Episode 15 has Peach call Mario "Bowser" while on a romantic date with him, acompanied by an Imagine Spot of seeing Mario as Bowser. Which really shows the contrast between how Peach was and how she is now, seeing how she imagines Bowser as Mario several times near the beginning of the series. Still a Tear Jerker, though.