Machinima / Sanity Not Included
series created by Guitarmasterx 7
(real name Lyle), of Brawlgasm
and Master Chief
fame, and Dexterboy 124
, who is known for his Peach's Slutty Adventure
series and his new Phoenix Wright: Bullshit Evolved
, which premiered at the end of Sanity Not Included
's first season. This machinima series is unique in that it doesn't use just one game, it uses many across many different gaming platforms.
The show also features animated segments usually appear in the middle or ending of episode with the formatting of the animated skits eventually changing to them acting as the last skit in the episodes. The animated segments star fictionalized versions of the show's creators Dexter and Lyle. The animated shorts have been done by co-creator Guitarmasterx 7
for season 1, Spaz Kid for the season 1 finale and season 2, and Nevarky and Zeurel for season 3.
In order to create Fanservice
two female characters were created for the show known as Nina and Amanda. Nina is a blonde woman with massive breasts that lives with Dex and Lyle and debuted in season one. Amanda on the other hand is a brunette with a huge ass, is Dex's necrophiliac girlfriend, and debuted in season two. The characters appear in the animated segments as supporting characters and also at the end of each interactive segment where fan service pictures of them are shown.
The first season has been finished with 13 episodes and the second season was finished after much hiatus with 14 episodes. Season 3 has begun as of November 25th, 2012, and had a weekly schedule until the finale on December 30th. Following this, Lyle announced his retirement, but Immortal HD
will take over for him starting in the fourth season (Which never received a finale, although Dex has teased it will be released before Season 5 starts). A fifth season has been announced for January 12th, and will be focused on game skits over animated skits.
This series includes examples of:
- Aren't You Going to Ravish Me?: In the season one finale, Psylocke thinks that Shuma-Gorath will molest her, simply because he is a tentacle monster.
- Art Shift: The animated segments have a marked increase in quality starting with the finale of season 1 and throughout season 2.
- It makes sense considering how the two seasons were drawn by two completely different people: Guitarmasterx 7 during all of season 1 (except the finale) and the internet animator Spazkid who has improved in his own right over the years.
- Bag of Spilling: Made fun of in a machinima of the first level of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Alucard shoots through the level until he meets Death, who takes away all his weapons.
Alucard: No-WHAT THE FUCK?! ASSHOLE!!
Alucard: Oh, this is what I do now? I punch things. Yeah, I think I'll just kill myself.
Death: Have fun finding something to do it with!
- Bash Brothers: Lyle and Dexter can kick ninja ass.
- Berserk Button: DO NOT INTERRUPT ME WHEN I'M RECITING THE PART ABOUT THE HAIRY BUSH!!
- Lyle flies into a rage during an Assassin's Creed III sketch about the game being a "zero out of ten". All because Desmond's back is clipping through his backpack.
- Biting-the-Hand Humor: The very end of the first episode has a Machinima employee choose to upload "a hundred trillion shitty Modern Warfare 2 gameplay videos that nobody fucking cares about and should be on the other channel anyways" instead of Sanity Not Included. The employee's eyes then glow red after making making a stare similar to that of the Card [[Troll Crusher]] as Dissidia's rendering of One Winged Angel plays in the background.
- It's more of a joke about the Machinima community claiming to unsubscribe to the machinima channels when a YMMV video is uploaded.n
- Black Comedy
- Or at least "We might kill this baby but instead we're going to catapult it" comedy.
Dex: (to Nina, after she tries to protect a baby from getting killed) Couldn't stop us that time, could ya?
Lyle: Yeah! FUCK THAT BABY! *He and Dex hi-five and walk away*
- Taken Up to Eleven in a skit in the first episode of season 2
Husband: I love you, honey.
Wife: (With a rope that has one side in her vagina, and another attached to a truck) THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU TAKE ME TO THE FUCKING HOSPITAL?!?!
- Lyle, when told to "get him down from there" in regards to someone preparing for a suicide.
"YOU SUCK AND NOBODY WILL EVER LOVE YOU! There. If that doesn't get him down, nothing will."
- Brick Joke: At the end of the first season, after having taken down the nameless agent's Humongous Mecha, Nina asks if Dex and Lyle are up for a threesome, with the Queen of England popping up and suggesting a foursome instead. During the Christmas Teaser Trailer, all four are seen in bed together. Later still, at the end of the Season Two finale, Dex, Lyle, Nina, and Amanda are all grouped together, and the Queen of England says that it'll be a great fivesome.
- The Cameo: So far, there have been two occasions in which footage from A Strange Dream, starring Vivvav (a friend of Dex and Lyle's), has appeared in the series. Both cameos have involved Pokémon.
- The character of the warden, Raust Blackdragon, is based off a real person who the creators are...acquainted...with.
- Camp Gay: Raust Blackdragon, the warden of the prison.
- Fifty Shades of Gay shows him going out with Dex's ex girlfriend Fanny however.
- Can't You Read the Sign?: NO PETTING THE RECYCLING BIN!
- The Casanova: Solid Snake, apparently.
Snake: Sup baby, Bumblefaggot.
Woman: Oh God, I'm so turned on!
- Cleavage Window: Let's face it, any boob trope will be applied to Nina at some point, although she does avert it from time to time by wearing a shirt that completely covers her chest.
- Clothing Damage: In season 2, while trying to protect a baby, Nina's clothes are completely burned off. It would have been the perfect moment if not for the censor bar.
- Compensating for Something: Parodied in the very first episode.
Yellow Spartan watching other Spartan walk toward small car: Hey! What are you doing driving that small car? Trying to compensate for something, BIG DICK?
- Complexity Addiction: Parodied in a Trauma Center sketch, where two doctors are treating a patient with a cold. One comes up with a ridiculous plan to shrink her partner down and inject him into the patient's bloodstream so he can destroy the virus from within. He simply suggests they give the patient some cough syrup, prompting her to ask if he's high.
- Continuity Cameo: The man in the Pikachu coat who was in Guitarmasterx 7's video "Morgan's Birthday Video Thing dot doubleyoo emm vee. This is so srs you guys." blows up a Spartan in episode 1.
- He was also featured in the video "Herpes: The Musical", which was uploaded by Lyle's alternate account "theloopholeistheahol". Another video that he used from that account in SNI was the "Disingenuous Assertions" video.
- Continuity Nod: During the INTERACTIVE CHOICE series, Link finds a hammer he can't control in the FIRE TEMPLE episode. He uses it again in the WATER TEMPLE.
- The Dead Can Dance: A skeleton dances so much The Necromancer who brought him back is paralyzed with frustration over the "stupid fucking bone dance".
- Equippable Ally/Grievous Harm with a Body: Dex uses the Queen of England as a spear in the Season 1 Finale.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Hearing a reading from Raust's novel.
- Flat "What.": Some viewers may experience this.
- Gainaxing: Nina and Amanda are almost always bouncing around with nary a care.
- Gag Boobs: Nina, as per Gainaxing above.
- Gag Dub: Of the first two minutes of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. See Bag of Spilling
- Hypocritical Humor: Squall often mocked Cloud's Ambiguously Gay status with Zack. And yet he's totally crazy with Kefka of all people.
- I Love the Dead: Dex mentions that his girlfriend Amanda has necrophilia. It's not until he tells this to Lyle that he realizes how messed up this is in midsentence.
- I Read It for the Articles: Inverted. People apparently watch the interactive choices because there are sexy pics of Nina and Amanda in suggestive poses at the end.
- Ink-Suit Actor: Parodied and inverted in the Q&A video. Meg, Nina's voice actress stuffs balloons in her shirt to make it seem like her boobs are as big as Nina's. Not that she's any less hot without them....
- Jerkass: Lyle, Dex, and several of the game characters.
- Evident when Lyle and Dex make Nina go onto X-Box Live just to see the Halo nerds yell and scream trying to impress her.
- Lame Excuse: The man who breaks into people's houses at night and smells their dicks wasn't their to smell someone's dick, he was there checking on the stove... it's a nice stove...
- Laser-Guided Karma: Two Sackboys steal a car, which immediately launches into the air, spinning around with them screaming inside.
- Meaningful Name: Lyle's last name is McDouchebag
- Ms Fan Service: Nina.
- And sometimes Amanda, if Nina's not there.
- Modesty Bedsheet: Nina's bedsheet is barely enough to cover her enormous breasts.
Bill: Is it just me or... is this... slightly arousing? I... *zip* It's gotta be done.
- It's also subverted in the finale of season 1:
Psylocke: "Well, you ARE a tentacle monster..."
Shuma-Gorath: "Yeah! That's exactly the thing! I'm a tentacle monster, that doesn't mean I automatically molest people, and even if I did, I would want other tentacle monsters! Do you even have the slightest idea of how procreation and sex drive work!?"
- Once per Episode: An interactive skit where the viewer can choose the situation's outcome. And at least one animated segment featuring the creators.
- Pistol-Whipping: "I am meleeing its legs!"
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Lyle and Dex. It's even in the title sequence!
- Self-Deprecation: In a video by Guitarmasterx 7 announcing that episode 13 would be delayed.
- There are often jokes about the creator's nationalities: One's British and the other is American.
- Shout-Out: To Death Note, when a group of characters fall down the stairs and die.
Last to die: Damn you, Light Yagami...
- Shutting Up Now: See I Love the Dead above.
- Smoking Hot Sex: The waitress at the end of Season 2 Episode 12.
- Stay in the Kitchen: Season 1 Episode 3
- This Looks Like a Job for Aquaman: He's been forced to sell armor in the Watchtower. Because he sucks so much.
- The Undead: Apparently, a guy with a skull mask is scarier than an actual animate skeleton.
- The Worm That Walks: The season 2 finale' has, as it's Cold Opening first skit, a gunman who turns himself into a massive swarm of red spiders.
- Yes-Man: Dex will do anything Amanda asks him to.