Profound Moments in Left 4 Dead 2 is a comic Let's Play Machinima about the videogame Left 4 Dead 2. Four dudes with microphones allegedly attempt their first playthrough, while Hilarity Ensues as they manage to make fun of absolutely everything they come across in the game. Even more hilarious when one realises that most of the laughs they create come from fooling about objects, fake adverts and many other props that have no real impact on L4D2's gameplay.In each season, the gang will do a playthrough of an L4D2 campaign. Currently 5 seasons have been uploaded to YouTube. The original cast consists of Aovnick, Archaon, PuppySky, and Djy1991 (aka David), who is better known as the uploader of the graphic adaptations of some of squirrelking's and Peter Chimaera's works, like Half-Life: Full Life Consequences and Quarter-Life: Halfway To Destruction. In season 2, Archaon was replaced with another player named TicTac, allegedly because Archaon's mom had a book club or something. In Season 3, two new members, Mastermind and Bro, replace PuppySky and Archaon/TicTac. Season 4 sees the return of PuppySky, in place of Aovnick. Season 5 is a bit of a change, seeing the cast take on the first campaign of the original Left 4 Dead. Mastermind and Bro have been replaced by two entirely new players, PsychoDuck and Abby Ratso Lee, as well as the surprise appearance of Aovnick taking the place of the helicopter pilot.You can watch the first season here, the second season here, the third season here, and the fourth season here. Season 5 starts here.See also the Something Awful LPs of L4D1 and 2 by baldurk & co., which are similar in concept, but with a more static cast, slightly less screwing aroundnote , and showing off Versus mode and fan-made campaigns alongside the official ones.Perhaps an unofficial continuation of the series is the Amazing Left 4 DeAdventure by Psychoduck, where he and some friends (including Abby and some of the Icton crew) play through the campaigns from where Profound Moments left off.
Provides examples of:
- Aerith and Bob: Most of the players are known as their username, but Aovnick is just called Nick and everyone uses Djy 1991's real name, David.
- And Zoidberg: RAMIREEZ!!! Oh, and TicTac too.
- Anachronic Order: "The Passing", which takes place between "Dead Center" and "Dark Carnival", is played after both. "Swamp Fever" was skipped in favor of "Hard Rain" for the fourth season, and the fifth goes way back to "No Mercy" in the first game.
- Atomic F-Bomb: PuppySky, after falling off a speaker in part 9.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: All the time, from the very first scene to the end.
- Author Catchphrase: "werg" often pops up in "startled keyboard mashing" subtitles.
- Big "NO!": RAMIREEEEEEEEEEEZ
- Aovnick also lets one out when Bro pretends to pick Nick just before starting The Passing.
- "OH MY GOD! BILL IS DEAD!"
- Beat: Every time they get attacked whilst having a conversation, a beat happens before they all start screaming.
- Big "YES!": "Oh My God It's Jimmy Gibbs Junior aaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH"
- Brick Joke: Archaon at the end of Season 2.
- And then again in Season 3.
- Buffy Speak:Nick: Oh you guys and your fancy closet technology, so far ahead of my helicopter and its flying... metal things!
- The Cameo: Archaon shows up in The Port around Bill's body while the rest are screaming. Only problem is, Bro and Mastermind are still there. This leads to even more screaming.
- Aovnick (and Ramirez, apparently) makes a guest appearance in Season 5 as the helicopter pilot, first announcing that he can't pick the others up in the street because Puppy is too fat (suggesting they head to the hospital to get him liposuction), and then expressing disbelief in how many times they all die before he can arrive at the roof (which is delayed because he had to give Ramirez a bath).
- Camping a Crapper: David, Bro, and Mastermind are all checking out some graffiti in a bathroom in The Passing when a Charger comes in and barrels through all three of them.
- Catch-Phrase: "Lovely dinner!"
- "What's going in?"
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Aovnick.
- And Archaon, see Word Salad.
- Cluster F-Bomb:Bro: Fucking fuck!
Mastermind: I like to fucking fuck, don't you?
Bro: ...I dunno man, I kinda like to frickin' fuck...
- Companion Cube: Ramirez, the gnome statuette rescued from Dark Carnival.
- Stephanie the chainsaw from later on in the same campaign, to a lesser degree (she doesn't return or even get mentioned afterwards).
- Comically Missing the Point:PuppySky: My name's Mastermind and I'm a fifteen-year old chain smoker.
Mastermind: I don't smoke chains, I smoke cigarettes.
- Continuity Nod: Ramirez references abound after season two, usually from Nick."Hello sir do you happen to sell any garden gnomes? ... I SAID do you SELL GARDEN GNOMESAUUUUGH, RAMIREZZZZZZ
- Nick's comment about "Knowing" the whole "Emo eyeliner thing" in episode 11, considering the end of "Profound Moments in Everything."
- At the start of the first season, David makes a comment about how he can't see himself because he's playing as a female and they're invisible or something. Cut to the start of the third season, his first words before the introductions are shouting at Zoey that she's supposed to be invisible.
- Curse Cut Short:PuppySky: Guess who just used all the medkits.
Djy:...YOU DI-[video ends]
- Department of Redundancy Department: "You're lying, and you're stupid, and you're lying."
- Determinator: Nick.
- Double Subversion: Djy 1991 is constantly being attacked by Hunters. However, in episode 12, he manages to fend off a Hunter in mid-flight. Unfortunately, he later gets attacked by a Hunter again.
- Dynamic Entry: The Special infected. For comic relief, most of the cast screams in pain as they are pounced.
- Fan Nickname: David invents the nickname "Gabe Newell" for the Boomer, but Nick uses it the most.
- TicTac coins the less popular "loan-sharks" for the Common Infected.
- Filler: The Profound Moments in EVERYTHING episode which was made while waiting for a vital cast member to return from a trip through the states.
- First-Name Basis: Djy 1991's teammates all call him by his first name, David.
- Genre Savvy: Archaon points out that they shouldn't be playing on Expert early in season 1. Bro reiterates this in the third season.
- Gun Porn: Subverted in the second episode, where Archaon begins to point out the flaws in the various gun models of the game in what appears to be Fan Disservice to him.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Ramirez.
- Hypocritical Humor:Aovnick: David, take your pills!
Aovnick: WHY IS IT SO LOOOOOOOUD?!
- And also in the first episode, when referring to the helicopter at the start of Dead Center:
- I Call It "Vera": Stephanie the Chainsaw in season 2.
- Infernal Retaliation: Not a by-the-book example. PuppySky attempts to sing, but Aovnick refuses to pipe down. Puppy, being the guy he is, lobs a molotov.PuppySky: FUCK YOOOOU!
Aovnick: Ha haAAAAAAAAH, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Djy: Baby, baby, baby oooohhhh. Baby, baby, baby ooOOOooohhh. aaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
- In the same episode, when Djy1991 tries to sing the others set him on fire.
- It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time: Balcony jumping, which, like just about everything else they attempt afterwards, results in a Total Party Kill.
- Jump Scare: Several examples, although more often than not the audience is a lot less affected than the players. This trope usually results in large amounts of screaming from any player involved.
David: Dude, there's a witch right there.
- A more subdued example comes during the Hard Rain campaign. Djy 1991 almost runs straight into a witch, which the viewer likely won't see before he does.
- Just Ignore It: In The Passing, Bro and Djy 1991 sit in a restaurant booth, concentrate on having a lovely dinner, make small talk, and avoid eye contact with the Tank in the room. Doesn't work.
- Laser-Guided Karma: In Episode 7, PuppySky picks up Djy 1991's defib pack... and promptly revives Aovnick with it. They then walk around the corner and get puked on by a Boomer.
- One of the top reasons the Charger seems to like Puppy.
- Laser-Guided Tykebomb: The Chargers, to PuppySky. To lesser degrees, Hunters to Djy 1991 and Tanks to Bro.PuppySky: [sighs] Every single time I die is a goddamn Charger!
- Madness Mantra:Bro: [whispering] It's okay, he doesn't see us. He doesn't see us. He doesn't see us. [more zombies appear and Bro starts shouting] HE DOESN'T SEE US! HE DOESN'T SEE US! HE DOESN'T SEE US!
- Major Injury Underreaction:Mastermind: Oh, fuck, I'm burning.
- Name's the Same: Aovnick, referred to as Nick, playing as Nick.
- Noodle Incident: In Episode 16 of Season 4, Mastermind keeps trying to talk about this one time where PuppySky's car broke down. However, whenever he does, PuppySky immediately screams at the top of his lungs to censor anything Mastermind says.note
- N-Word Privileges: "Does this mean I can say the N word without getting in trouble?" "NOOOOO"
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Debatable, but it seems that no one in the cast is actually a total newbie to the game, given Djy 1991's background and that no achievements are earned in the first two seasons.
- Oh, Crap!: Djy 1991's reaction after being greeted by a Hunter.(Bro is puked on by a Boomer)
Mastermind: Hey Bro. You know what that is on you? That's the Source engine.
(Car alarm goes off)
Aovnick and Djy 1991: Oh shit/Oh crap!!!
- Offscreen Teleportation: Even PuppySky doesn't know how he got on top of the Midnight Riders' stage. As usual, a Charger helps him back down.
- Put on a Bus: Archaon since Season 2. PuppySky in Season 3, Aovnick in Season 4, and Bro/Mastermind (ironically the causes of the last two cases) in Season 5.
- Psychopathic Manchild: Aovnick definitely comes across as one of these.Aovnick: Dude, a rollercoaster! DUDE, A ROLLERCOASTER! OH MY GOD, A ROLLERCOASTER!
- Rapid-Fire Comedy
- Reactive Continuous Scream: Djy discovers Bill's dead body in The Passing and starts screaming. Mastermind then belts out his catchprase, Bro walks in and begins screaming as well. Aovnick stays silent. They all promptly stop for a moment when Archaon casually walks in, despite there still being a full four-person team.
- Happens a lot, in fact. Another example is in episode 10, when a Charger knocks over Djy out of nowhere (around 3:52).
- Running Gag: No matter where PuppySky is, a Charger will find him.
- Not to mention Djy 1991 and the Hunter.
- Almost every time Ramirez' name is said in season 2, Sergeant Foley's head is overlaid on the screen. Once, only half of his head is overlaid when Nick cuts himself off halfway through Ramirez' name.
- One teammate keeps shutting the safehouse door at the end, preventing Djy 1991 from getting inside. Another teammate then incaps the first , allowing Djy to enter.Djy 1991 (playing as Rochelle): Let me in!
Archaon: No girls allowed.
- Finally subverted when Djy is the only one who manages to make it into the safe room alive in episode 5, wherein Nick tells him that girls ARE allowed in this one room.
- Schmuck Bait:Aovnick: Hey, there's a bottle in the water, I think we can get it!
- Screaming Warrior: Sweet holy hell, Aovnick.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Mastermind, when he is attacked by a Boomer.
- Shout-Out: Of all things, to Mulan.Aovnick: (singing) Let's get down to business—OH GOD—
- When David points out how slow the elevator in the mall is.
- "GET TO THE CHOPPA!"
- Ramirez the garden gnome. "Ramirez, kill that Tank! Ramirez, bring my friend back to life!"
- At the end of Season 5, PuppySky declares he will start saying "Boring" every time he fires his weapons. After about a minute, this culminates in him saying "Gee, it sure is boring around here".
- Stuff Blowing Up: About three times more than a normal playthrough.
- Taking You with Me: In the first episode, the Charger manages to do this to Djy 1991, crashing into him while at the edge of the building, meaning that both the Charger and Djy 1991 died. It nearly took out Aovnick as well, though he managed to grab the ledge.
- Team Pet: Ramirez in season 2, to the point where not even PuppySky seriously considers leaving him behind. He doesn't physically show up again afterwards, but he is referenced quite often.
- The Reveal:Archaon: Whoa, I'm a black guy?
- Tempting Fate:PuppySky: I'm gonna do this entire campaign with 1 HP and beat the shit out of everything with a first aid kit.
- "Alright, let's stick together this time and not die."
- Total Party Kill: The group's antics usually result in this, although eventually they manage to beat every level.
- The Unintelligible: Archaon makes very strange noises in lieu of speaking sometimes.
- Unusual Euphemism: "FFFFFFFFUTS!" "Get in the futsin' elevator!"
- What the Hell, Hero?: Archaon burns his teammates to death in the second episode, because he spent most of the first one dead.
- Word Salad: Archaon engages in one when the team takes the elevator in the mall.Archaon: I have high respect for this game if you can drive a car...and, auerh...ifyoucandriveacaryoucangojustaboutanywhereyoulikeandyouknow, youcangoanywhereinlifeandbeaverysuccessfulmanandallthatfreshairandexercisewilldoyoualotofgood. 'K, let's go.
Aovnick: What the heck did you just say?
- You Just Had to Say It: Djy 1991's reply to PuppySky 5 seconds after he speaks his Tempting Fate line.